General Dance Discussion > Who gets asked to dance

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by suburbaknght, Dec 9, 2007.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Not normally a concern for me, except when I may need to worry about how to maneuver around them.

Some of us are born obvious, others try to avoid being obvious.

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I don't usually ask the breasts. Or at least I don't think I do. ;)

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

and I don't care why a guy asks me as long as he asks me, and as long as he doesn't try to move me for me

4. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

I don't like it when you have to convince a guy to dance with you and no, it's not b/c of me, all the girls have to convince this guy. He's not pompous either, more so just unenthusiastic?

5. fascination

well, I don't even bother with that...

6. lcdancesport

My efforts have dissipated, his loss!

7. cornutt

More for me! :D

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Methinks I am going to have to swing by Huntsville...:wink:

9. lcdancesport

Road trip? :p

10. fascination

nah...let's bring him this way

11. fascination

no offense to alabama...I just get the sense that there is a bit more going on up here

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

thats exactly why I am going there - there's a chance I could compete! Now, see here you girls stay just where you are and wait OK?

there again, I hope DP is not reading this [sheepish :)]

13. cornutt

Well, there's Nashville... although I do confess I have this sudden urge to visit Chicago... well, maybe in the spring... :cool:

14. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Red on Women Drives Men Wild :grin:

15. Kits

Kits New Member

O that explains a lot! I ware Black out to dance parties because all of the nice attire I have are all black. Maybe I should go do some shopping...

16. TangoRocks

TangoRocks Member

I don't know about that. Sure, bright colours might attract attention, but I have danced with a lot of girls in black dresses, by-passing the bright green or orange or fuchsia or whatever coloured ones. I think it's simplistic just to make it about colour; how someone carries themselves around, their poise and yes, track history, are more important to me as a lead. I'd dance with some people if they showed up in tattered jeans (not that they would, to a dance event, but, you know, in case they got chased by rabid dogs and lost their dance bag jumping over the fence that tore their jeans ;) compared to others in immaculate, competition-style dresses. Don't give up on the black!

17. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

It's a guideline, not a rule. No one sets out to go dance thinking, "Hmm... I'll dance with the girls in red and yellow but not those dressed in black. Oh how I loathe those black dresses and all those who wear them! Black dresses are the backstabbing Judas of my life!"

Rather, you can't ask someone to dance if you don't notice them. Posture, poise, projection, proximity, and personality all affect how likely people are to notice you, but so does clothing (I couldn't come up with a P for that). Something that grabs people's attention, rather than blending into the background or what other people are wearing, is more likely to get you attention and that means people have a better opportunity to ask you to dance.

If you want to wear black, wear black. You'll still be asked to dance. But if you want to maximize how often people ask you, wear some color.

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

When you see a red or yellow car go by, are you more likely or less likely to turn your head than if a black car goes by?

19. Joyful Dancer

Joyful Dancer New Member

I have noted that I tend to get more attention either by dance invites or "you look lovely tonight" when I wear red, black or navy. I don't know that it is a pattern as much as those are truly my "best" colors.

I say we all (gals and guys) should play up our best assest, dress nicely, be kind/friendly, dance our best, and just have a good time.

20. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

I need to buy me a red dress apparently!