Salsa > Who Have You Danced Salsa With?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by DancePoet, Aug 5, 2005.

1. africana

africana New Member

Yeah it feels like both cobo brothers are actually great leads now, in my book. One of the two has always been a "ladies first", classic, gentleman on the dancefloor (guess which one ;)), the other seems to have refined from a slightly macho power-lead into a gentle but still dynamic, playfully-engaged lead (guess which one ;)). both are wonderful, the main contrast is that one is great at dreamy partnering, the other is great at combining musical shines with partnering (now that's my stuff :cheers: )

Sekou is great fun, light lead, I think I was mostly stunned into admiring his open footwork everytime we broke off into shines, no complaints :D

2. africana

africana New Member

by the way, Manuel mascarell is an absolute pleasure! clear lead, very engaged (impressive for a long live song), one of my funnest dances this weekend

(actually didn't recognize him when i asked him to dance lol)

3. yola

yola New Member

'he africana, i thought the congress was this weekend?
    anyway, a friend of mine is off to New York this weekend, to perform at the NewYork New Jersey festival. you going there?
    i'd have loved to be there..:cry:.. but i have to teach... such are the hardships of being a salsateacher.. boohoo.
    ;)

4. africana

africana New Member

that was the San Francisco Congress last weekend

yeah I schemed and tried to see if I could go to NY/NJ as well but no time and too much $$ spent

5. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Manuel is indeed a pleasure...

Last weekend I danced with Pedro Gomez! :) Had a blast... (myself, I cannot be sure about him, even though he said I'm a good dancer... maybe he was just being nice...)

6. fallenangel

fallenangel New Member

I salsa with Super Mario :p

7. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

*envy*
    I just have to move to a different place.

T_E

8. Salcero

Salcero Member

How are you definning famous? Are you talking someone like Alex Da Silva from SYTYCD or someone that has performed at a salsa congress or both? People like J Lo and Venessa Williams dance salsa and I would consider them famous. I'd like to know who is getting this celebrity status?

9. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Salcero - I really don't know when a dancer is regarded as a celerbrity. But regarding Alex da Silva - I'm pretty sure he is a celebrity ;)

I'm interested in allcelebrities and all great dancers that have something to give. I don't want to dance with some great person just because he is teacher at a congress and he i supposed do his duty (i.e not letting people down). A person just doing his duty...not open to meet another person where he/she is...is not someone I want to dance with.

Regarding Alex da Silva - he is not in that category. He did a great job dancing with me at the Gothenburg congress. I just loved it!

/luc

10. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

If you consider a name worth dropping then I'd call that famous.
    Whether a name is worth dropping can depend a lot on who you are talking to though. ADS works for some, J Lo works for others. Cobos definitely work for me ;).

11. DCR

DCR Member

Every lady I dance with is a celebrity. This list I have would be to long for me to write.

12. amo_dile_que_no

amo_dile_que_no New Member

I like your way of thinking! :D

13. africana

africana New Member

nice answer Mac :) but don't know why you bothered anwering such a bait-ive question heh

btw J Lo's probably a beginner compared to the salsa 'stars' named here

14. Salcero

Salcero Member

Thanks Mac ... amazing that someone would feel the need to comment on the very fact that your answered my question and try to misconstrue the intent.

15. africana

africana New Member

oh yeah. How in the world did those salsa dancers become considered as famous? gee Santo Rico has never been in a blockbuster, neither has Frankie martinez, or Tropical Gem, or or or anyone for that matter, so of course they definitely are NOT famous

:lol:

16. nikita

nikita New Member

I think one criteria of beeing famous in the today's Salsa scene is, that everybody recognizes at least the name of these people.
    And this is only possible, when they are present on most of all the important or also less important congresses around the world. These people work a lot.
    Tropical Gem are definately famous in the European Salsa scene since every beginner knows their name right from the beginning. For a good reason- as fare as I heared they do a great job as teachers:rolleyes: .
    (Some time ago in Madrid one of them wanted to dance with me- I run away....I hope I see this guy again:) )

17. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I danced with my mom...

18. irMax SALSA

irMax SALSA New Member

MT, ET's Wife

I had the oppurtunity to dance with Maria Torres.

I went blank after the first few basic steps. LMAO.