Salsa > who here likes cumbia?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by hopelessly_addicted, May 29, 2005.

1. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

Hi DFer!

Last night at the venue that I frequent, we had a cumbia night (what can i say.. that particular DJ just LOVES playing cumbia....) Made me wonder what my fellow salseros think of cumbia to dance?

2. vey

vey New Member

Hi h_a,

I love some traditional cumbia songs, they can be SO beautiful and I can enjoy a dance or two with a good cumbia lead (I was even asked a few times whether I'm Colombian after that :shock: )

I don't think I can dance it the whole night though....

3. kabalevsky

kabalevsky New Member

I have to agree with Vey, I like it for a few dances or so... which can be fun...! :)

4. l_simon_l

l_simon_l New Member

I don't like it. It doesn't have the same flow as salsa... and the fact that our local latin DJ plays waaaaayy to many cumbia songs when I'm in the mood for Salsa, sure doesn't help.

5. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I like it... but only in moderation. The rhythm doesn't come as naturally to me as Salsa, but I think that's maybe because I haven't done enough Cumbia yet.

Classes are hard to find, though.

Rosa :)

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Just watch and copy!!

Monkey see, monkey do! :p :)

7. hopelessly_addicted

Thanks for replying guys! :)

what cumbia songs do you like? Any titles?

Ok... my take on cumbia. A couple of them in 1 night can be ok.. BUT for me, it's as bad as merengue or even worse :shock: Perhaps the fact that our local Chilian DJ (1 of my salsa friends calls him a terrorist :lol: ) plays the SAME cumbia every time he plays contributes to my aversion towards cumbia...

Actually, I find that there is really little room for making use of having a good connection for cumbia...Just rocking back and forth.. kinda kills any good connection between the partners.. :roll: Only thing can I do is maybe to be playful with eye contact! What can I do to make it more fun given a decent lead?? (The leads that I can dance with are all pretty good - native colombians, chillians, and other south americans)

8. hopelessly_addicted

Rosa, perhaps it's better to keep cumbia a bit mysterious! :wink: :lol:

For me, cumbia unlike meregue or bachata came very naturally to me. Very momentum based dancing..

9. vey

vey New Member

Unfortunately I hardly have any cumbias in my CD collection to recommend, most good ones I've heard were in my cumbia class couple of years ago and I forgot the titles by now :(

But I like smth along the lines of La Tropa Vallenata's
    "Cumbia Sampuesana",
    "Mi Plegaria",
    "Prende la Vela",
    "Guapaje"
    Also Africando has a beautiful version of "Colombia, Mi Corazon"

10. hopelessly_addicted

Thanks Vey for th recommendations! :) I'll check them out...

What did you learn in your cumbia class? I'm interested.. 8)

11. africana

africana New Member

cumbia ugh me no like :lol:
    Actually I have enjoyed a couple because I had a lead who knew interesting patterns for it...

But the problem with cumbia, for me, is the absence of any significantly interesting percussive rhythms

I need congas, bongos, cowbells, clave sticks, timbales to wake up my spirit :!:

12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I'll dance to anything latin 8)

13. hopelessly_addicted

wow how can you be so not picky! You do have preference though right within latin? Do you like cumbia to dance to?

14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Sure, why not? My favorite kind of latin music is salsa dura. 8)

15. hopelessly_addicted

hey, that's good that you can enjoy dancing to any kinda latin music, cocodrilo! I wish I could be like that :D Nothing more annoying when I'm so pump to dance but the music's all wrong for the whole night :p :roll:

16. pelao

pelao New Member

Well, yes and no. I like the old old folky sounding cumbias. I think the latest ones that I actually like are the ones from around the 60s/70s. Most stuff after that I've never really heard or liked much.

17. HF

HF New Member

I still remember the day when I heard my first salsa in a CD shop - the non-obvious rhythm, the bass hardly ever playing on one, the jazzy instrumentation completely hooked me. Up to now nothing comes close to that for me.

Cumbia for me is way to straightforward regarding the percussion and always a good time to take a drink. :lol:

18. hopelessly_addicted

It becomes not so funny when a DJ plays cumbia the whole night*.. :evil: :wink:

Is there any Colombians or Chileans on this forum? They seem to LOVE cumbia... I wonder they do so cause it's something they listen to when they grow up... :roll:

*typo edited!

19. HF

HF New Member

Yes, it can be a pain ... :?

This may work: Go to the DJ, smile at him and tell him you would love to hear salsa again. After a time have a friend repeat this and then a third one. Maybe this works.

20. pelao

pelao New Member

See, thats the problem with a lot of the cumbias that came out after a certain era. It got to a point where, they took a lot of the folkloric elements out, and wanted to make it more simple and commercial. And then it spread to other places like argentina and mexico, and they ended up doing even worse modifications to make it more commercial - everyone was adding crazy synths and electric guitars. In mexico and argentina, they took away more afro-percussion and added drum kits and who knows what else. Originally, cumbia used to be filled with much more percussive sounds, but thats the part of the story most people don't hear, because that old sound of cumbia has long passed away. Most people today know about the ones with trumpets and timbales and congas (which actually came about due to the 50s mambo craze in colombia at the time). The original cumbias were composed of [some or all of these:] indigenous flutes (and eventually, the german accordion), the indigenous maraca (or guacharaca even [guiro/guira in other countries]), the african tambor, the african tambora, and the african caja, and the guasa/guache (I'm not sure where this one came from - most likely indigenous also). It even had a great traditional dance that went with it.

Anyways, not saying its worse or better in sound (thats up to you the listener to decide) - I just think its sad how some great old genres of music that represent the folklore of your country/people and its heritage can so quickly be changed and forgotten. It loses its value - the thing that makes it special. Its really a social connection to musical history question, not really musical as in, "hey, this sounds nice"

Then again, if it would've stay true to its roots, nobody would've liked it, cause it sounded too gritty. Honestly now, how many people turn on the radio, or go to clubs to listen to some of those rhythms you see a small primitive tribe in africa dance/sing/party to on the educational networks. Cumbia (and the other tropicales) would be seen that way today, so would vallenato probably.

How many of you know about mapalé, currulao, and how to dance it? See what I mean.

Yeah, long rant, but hey, if tito puente could do it for mambo, I'll do it for colombian music. :)

Anyhow, I still like some cumbias (or tropicales), but I prefer vallenato.