Salsa > who here likes cumbia?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by hopelessly_addicted, May 29, 2005.

1. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

I've requested more salsa nicely before, didn't work. Next time I'm there with other salseros, I'll ask them to ask the DJ also rather than sitting on their butt complaining... I don't know WHY but some people are quite reluctant to voice their preference to the DJ for some reason! :twisted:

2. hopelessly_addicted

Heya Pelao! Thanks for the info! :) I did wonder about the origin of cumbia...

So.. EM would like to know.. are you a colombian?

I guess I've been ranting purely from a salsa dancer's point of view....

Do you like cumbias for listening or dancing or both? Any titles you'd recommend?

3. HF

HF New Member

Vallenato is completely different to my ears, I like it. This music makes me happy.

Maybe they are not playing the traditional cumbias in the clubs I visit.

4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Oh, I know how that is! I love a variety, and when the fekkin' DJ plays like 4 merengues in a row, it's like what th' f***?! It takes a good Dj to make a person's night, but it also takes music appreciation on the part of the dancers to adjust to the situation, and get out there and enjoy themselves. After all, we're there to dance, aren't we?

5. hopelessly_addicted

Yeah I totally agree with you there... we are there to dance and have fun.. My policy is not to sulk for whatever reason when I go out because I've seen people doing that and I don't like it.... I rant all my anger/frustration/distress here instead :oops: :lol:

6. Sabor

Sabor New Member

umm.. so i can't answer if not here but there? :?

7. hopelessly_addicted

u know exactly what i meant! :?

8. HF

HF New Member

If there is here then here is there :twisted:

9. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I don't like it either. It lacks flow and looks primative. But, it does give me a breather from dancing as the rest of the pure salsa dancers also do not dance it. We all get a chance to rest and get some water. ;)

10. hopelessly_addicted

ok i have no idea what vallenato is... :oops: anyone wanna recommend a typical vallenato song?

11. vey

vey New Member

you're welcome

In my cumbia class we were learning the typical cumbia circular dancing pattern (swing steps/left turns & interrupted turns for ladies which can be done by stopping follow and swinging her back using different "ankors" for interruption - from shoulders down to knees, etc) plus we learned cumbia cross step (step right foot to the side,
    cross left ft in front,
    right ft to the side again,
    tap with the heel of left ft
    and mirrow the same step to the opposite direction

12. hopelessly_addicted

OOhhh didn't know that this was a cumbia step! :) Of course, come to think of it, only people who dance cumbia do it.. :wink:

13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

any other steps you would like to share?

14. Mitra

Mitra New Member

*races in* I just got back from a huge salsa party at the local club and they were doing cumbia! I absolutely love it and the guy I mostly danced with said I caught on fairly quickly for just finding out about it tonight. It was so much fun ^_^

15. salsamale

salsamale New Member

16. RumbaRumbera

RumbaRumbera New Member

Cumbia is not salsa, so this forum should be re-named "Latin Dances."

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

meh... we discuss salsa, merengue, bachata... whatever you might dance when you go out for a night salsa-ing... cumbia's certainly in that category...

18. sweavo

sweavo New Member

Thanks for sharing! * rolls over and goes to sleep *

19. dancedude314

dancedude314 New Member

I hope you did the honorable thing and called the police.