Swing Discussion Boards > Who is going to the U.S. Open Swing Championships?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by gitjiggy, Sep 9, 2005.

1. gitjiggy

gitjiggy New Member

Just curious........

2. chandra

chandra New Member

meh... I wish I was! :)

3. luh

luh Active Member

what are the qualifications to get into the us open?
    luh

4. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

you need to be able to dance.

Any swing goes. Tends to be Westie Dominated...but Nathalie and Yuval have won before.

5. luh

luh Active Member

that's all? no other stuff you need to have won ?
    luh

6. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

whether or not you've won something before determins your division. But it's not some exclusive event...anyone can participate.

It's just the BIG event of the year for determining champions.

7. luh

luh Active Member

thx

8. Neil

Neil Member

So have Charlie and Jackie.

9. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

It's definitly a mixed bag..

As far as events go, it's more focused on competitions than social dance..so if that's you're thing it's not the best event for you.

But you get to watch INCREDIBLE dancing.

One of my favorite parts is the swing challege...the top 5 couples on the WCS side go up against the top 5 Lindy Hoppers..the whole thing is a riot as they all try more and more outrageous things. At one point, Tatiana Mollman last year popped off 28 spins during it...

clip here: http://solo2.abac.com/fastpack/uso_videos/2004_Strictly_Challenge.wmv

10. luh

luh Active Member

that really is incredible, 2 things i don't like though:
    1. the video quality s*cks
    2. spinning only isn't that cool for dancing all the time. and it's almost impossible that you'll meet someone who is able to do 28 spins on a social floor.
    luh

11. wcsjon

wcsjon New Member

That is unless you know Tat, lol, or Sarah, or well, a number of the other pros. :lol:

I was there last year as I am a former member of Swing Shift Atlanta (we placed 5th, our worst placement of the year). I wish I was able to go this year, but I just started a new job, so I won't be attending. :(