Salsa > Who is the Leader?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by TheArchon, Jan 18, 2004.

1. TheArchon

TheArchon New Member

Hi

Yesteday I had some kind of understanding, that I should partly let the girl lead me to the moves she wants, a lot of girls, some of them are veteren dancers, i can't dance with because of that.

So do you think dancing should be feedback, and feedfoward controlers :?: Should i give up some of my leading for a more harmonius dance :?:

I've never tried it(i dance for almost 2 years).

If not, any advice on how to deal with girls like this without breaking their arms :?:

:roll:

2. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Hi Archon. The leader should always "lead". It sounds like the followers you're dancing with just don't get it. :? :cry: Now, there are moves that you can't lead like when a follower does swivels or shines. But even then, the leader initiates it. Question for the leaders. How can Archon remedy this :?:

3. Vin

Vin New Member

Are the women actually leading you or are they doing there own thing when you lead them? If a follow does something unexpected with a lead I sometimes try and play with it, try that lead again, if they do the same unexpected thing as before than they are following, they are just reading what you want them to do differently.

4. TheArchon

TheArchon New Member

I will give you an example, i want to make half a turn, not a full turn, but the one i dance with already decided that i want to make a full turn, and she fights me to make this turn(not exactly what i mean but its hard for me to describe a more complex move, its just to make a point). The most common control issues is with known moves, that i want to make my own variation for them, the girl(mostly experienced) thinks she knows what my next move is, and she just do it.

5. peachexploration

Okay, just what I thought. I'm a follower and I am also guilty of anticipating a move. One way you can remedy this is to kindly whisper to the follower. "Listen, I'm gonna try something new, bear with me for a moment". If they are good followers, they will listen and let you lead the move. The only thing is, you may have to keep doing this for a while since alot of followers are doing this in your area. :? Any other suggestions anyone :?:

6. Vin

Vin New Member

I think I understand where you are coming from, I have gone through issues like this as well, for this type of move that you mention I will use my right hand to stop her momentum midspin and then flick her back the other way.
    Do you know someone whom you can practice with regularly, when I first started making variations on things I did it only with someone who I felt confident dancing with, and in a controlled environment, only after I got more comfortable varying the dance would I start throwing unexpected things at unexpecting partners.

7. TheArchon

TheArchon New Member

I've got partners, that i can do whatever i wish with them :twisted: , that is because they let me lead, they dont interfer with my lead. And i can't tell every partner what im going to do know, since i dont know what they know, it seems kind of funny to tell in advance every move i make...

And i know how to make the moves, like turning the partner clockwise, with both hands, then starting to make the back to back move, but only halfway, then i return the hands, most of the times, they will just finish the move for me...

8. peachexploration

Well, as leader, you feel them out in the beginning of the dance. After a little while, you should have an idea of what level they are. If moves are too difficult for that person, then you should concentrate on the more simple moves. Just a suggestion. Only you know for sure. :D

Also, here are some tips from one of our Salsa Experts:

9. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

TheArchon, A great deal of follower problems can be solved with the lead. The better you lead the less a follower will get out of choreography. Experienced dancers tend to like to fly solo. Example as you said, you want half a turn, the lady flies through for an entire turn. Try using the left hand to stop her momentum, or use the leading hand to do a very subtle sping where she can read the signal better.

When I want the lady to do a half spin, my lead is very slow going into the turn, that way the girl knows not to fly any where. Meaning that I start on the 4 but the lead is so slow that when the 2 comes around my hand is barely moving to which girls react nicely and take a slow smooth spin, where I then stop them with my free hand half way through the turn.

The best way to get at a lead I find is always trying to do something to acomodate the follower. Even if she doesn't get the move, work on your lead until it is so perfectly clear that you achieve your goal. Work on it all the time. I work on my lead in every dance, every move, for each girl needs to be lead differently.

10. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

There are rules to dancing.

Even though I see the lead/follow convention, I think of it differently. I see the music as being the leader, the male the “choreographer”, and the lady the follower.

The music says, where and when, the leader interprets it as he wishes and gives the follower the choreography to follow. The lady should never try to be the choreographer when the guy is telling her what to do. When solo dancing, to each his own. But until then, the lady follows, the guy leads.

11. peachexploration

Last night, I kept misinterpreting a leaders direction because his hand/body connection said one thing but he clearly wanted to do something else. So here comes the communication part when you have to say,"Let's try this again, show me what you're trying to do." It took 30 seconds and the move was perfected between us. I'm not saying you have to do this every time but if you see where you're having trouble, it can be easily corrected. :D

To add on to Boriken's statement: Leaders lead differently as well so the followers also have to adjust. Some leads I can follow very well and others, it takes more effort. Doesn't mean they're bad dancers, just different. Boriken, you and vin should open your own schools, I'd love to be a student follower. :) :banana:

12. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

:lol: :D My own school? God, then we'd really be complaining about bad dancers. :shock: :lol: That's what the dance world needs, my ideas currupting minds. :twisted:

13. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

14. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

15. Vin

Vin New Member

I am honored to be included, but I will have much to learn, sign me up for the lessons as well.

16. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member