Salsa > Who killed Hector Lavoe?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by brujo, Jan 20, 2005.

1. brujo

brujo New Member

Anyone know if there are videos or dvds of this play available anywhere? Seems very interesting to me. It was on from 1999-2001 in NY, I believe, and the CD that was produced from it simply kicks knat.

2. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

I did a search Brujo and the only thing I could find for future production was something to be produced by J. Lopez and M. Anthony in 2002 but nothing ever came of it. :? There is this one: Quien Mato A Hector Lavoe? (Who Killed Hector Lavoe?) (1999 Original Off-Broadway Cast) [CAST RECORDING]
    David Maldonado, Nadeen Gautier, Claudette Sierra, Fluvia Vergel, Bruno Irizarry, Domingo Quinones

That one is at Amazon.com and it includes the dialogue of the play as well. Is that one you have? Unfortunately, that's all I could find. :(

3. djpatricio

djpatricio New Member

Can't find a video or dvd anywhere. It is a great cd, though. I've played a couple tracks at the club, when there's enough Puerto Ricans around.

Maybe call the theatre it was put on at in NY. They may know.

4. msjanemas

msjanemas New Member

Well I know the guys from Willie's group, Hector's group (after Willie broke up the group) and other people were interviewed and filmed for the documentary being done in Europe. As for the film with Mark, I think they were going by the book written of Hector. And if true, much left is said and the rest in someone's view interviewed by friends and so-called friends and family. But Hector's life was music and no one knew him better than Willie. A movie of Hector Lavoe during his singing career cannot be written accurately without Willie and Jose Mangual Jr. and others who were involved. Then there's the "I don't want to say" unlike the American film bios which tell the truth or at least 85% of it compared to 50%.

Here's some info on the film:

http://comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=6634

Mark is perfect for the role of Hector Lavoe. Same built, except Hector never moved much on stage.

The problem is JLo needs some real consultants who know "The Era". First off she is wrong. Hector was not a part of the Palladium Era, and the 70s was not the Palladium Era. The Palladium closed in 1965. It was the Cheetah, Ipanema, Chez Sensual, St. George Hotel, Corso, Barney Googles, Hippocampo in the Bronx, and all the afterhours like The Cave, Pozo's, etc... that was the hotbed of the 70's.

Although I respect her achievements emensely, she thinks Rican X-Mas songs are "Merengue tunes" instead of Aguinaldos/Jibaro/Plena/Bomba Music. If your making a movie about music then I expect the terminology to be accurate. It's like asking an actor to play the part of a Mexican country man and having him wear Puerto Rican country clothes and country Pava hat. It would be an insult to the Mexican people.

So much mis-information is passed on as fact. For example Johnny Pacheco never introduced Willie and Hector. Willie already stated Johnny never introduced them. They met at a local record shop all by themselves.

5. brujo

brujo New Member

I was refering to the play by Domingo Quinonez. The thing that got to me was the snipplets of dialogue in between the songs. Seemed like a awesome, raw story.

I didn't know there was a movie in the works. But I think Marc A. would be a nice fit to play Hector. My personal absurd theory is that latin icons make the best biopic subjects - Frida, Pinero, Motorcycle Diaries.

6. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Well ... I was going tell you who Killed Hector Lavoe, but I think I'll keep it a secret. ;) :lol:

7. msjanemas

msjanemas New Member

I was responding to Peach who mentioned something about a movie. It is very very rare a theatrical presentation is ever filmed for a future release.

To Dance poet: Some say ______ did it!

8. DancePoet

Ok ... I'll tell you ... it was Miss Peacock in the parlor with a pipe. ;)

9. msjanemas

msjanemas New Member

I dont' think Miss Peacock was in the room. :?:

10. DancePoet

:lol:

11. msjanemas

msjanemas New Member

But maybe Miss Maples :idea: