Salsa > Who travels to another city to dance socially?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by wonderwoman, Dec 7, 2010.

1. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

I have a friend who hates the local social scene so much he'd prefer to make the 4 hour drive to another city just to dance that night. I deal with what we have (and lack) and want to work with others to make it better.

If you travel a substantial distance to dance, is it out of necessity or preference? Do you try to improve your local scene or do you seek out better ones?

2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

One of the Lindy / East Coast Swing places is so fun in our area that people will drive over an hour to partake of it. Some of them are from small towns that have nothing close to being like it, so I suppose that is necessity. Four hours, though, is a pretty good distance--and hopefully he has ways of making it a mini-vacation, this friend of yours...

3. wonderwoman

He loves dancing so much that it's worth it for him. I'd personally be afraid of not knowing anyone.

4. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

I know many people who travel 2-3 hours from my area to NYC just to dance. The dance scene is just much bigger there. Most of these folks will still dance locally as well, though.

5. evanne74

evanne74 New Member

I'd be willing to drive about 90 minutes.

6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

If I lived about that distance to NYC, guaranteed that I would go there often! And not just for dance, but everything fun thing to do and see there... No hesitations, whatsoever...

I also felt the same way about San Francisco...

7. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Ah, well, I'm 30 miles outside Chicago and we go into the city proper maybe once a month. Takes about 45 minutes, depending on traffic. We have enough socials / venues out in the 'burbs that it's not really necessary to go into the city that much.

Besides, I work downtown, so I often want to get out, not head back in.

8. GTO Bruin

GTO Bruin Member

Most of us in the Baltimore salsa community also dance in DC, which is larger and more advanced. We're lucky that it's a fairly close drive - an hour or less.

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I go to Syracuse which is 1.5 hours from my place. But I only go when my friend goes. He used to live close by and so I would drive 20 minutes to his place and we would go together. He now lives a little further, so it is a 40 minute drive to his place, but still it is worth it.

I don't go and abandon my local scene, but I will go to dances not in the area, even Binghamton for the variety. Hearing the same music and seeing the same people twice a week does get a little old sometimes.

10. wonderwoman

As soon as I get on a better work schedule (9-5 Mon-Fri as opposed to 10-10 Mon-Sun) I will be travelling a little bit more myself.

We used to have salsa almost every night. Every Mon-Sat and every other Sun. Now Nothing on Tue. Sat is always underattended. It's weird.

11. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

It really amazes me how much time and travel some people spend on dancing and I envy that sometimes. I mean, I love dancing, and have done it since childhood, but I also have other things I have to do. I work two jobs (partly to afford dance lessons!), and I can't go without a decent night's sleep; I have a house to take care of by myself, family and non-dancing friends I spend time with. If I really had the time, money and energy, it would be fun to travel more to other dance scenes.

12. wonderwoman

It can be an escape from the stresses of real life but it can easily become too much of a good thing. I just stayed in three nights in a row and loved every minute of it LoL

13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I love dancing. And, you're right, there's a balance. There's other things that I love to do, like see the latest movies--which often takes me away from dancing on Fridays and Saturdays..

14. Riplash

Riplash Member

I am one of the people that Travels alot for dancing. Here in Southern Maryland there is only local dancing once a month. I travel up to Annapolis area almost every Saturday that there is nothing local, which is about a 90 minute drive. Then maybe once every 2 months I travel to D.C. or Baltimore to dance and that is an hour and a half to a 2 1/2 hour drive depending on the weather and Traffic.

When I took up dancing I lived in Florida, and could walk to some of the dancing events, and they had something nearby almost every night of the week that wasn't too far away.

-Ryan

15. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Until I relocated back here I had to travel at least 115 miles one way to do any dancing and this I could do only once a month on average. Now, I will still occasionally travel up to Phoenix to go dancing, but this I do so when I want to do something different rather than out of necessity.

16. Keith & Rita

Keith & Rita Member

At our Coterie dances, which features live big band orchestras, we have couples as members as far away as Nashville, TN--which is 165 miles south.

17. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

The Phoenix WCS conventions held in July draw people from all over. At last years event I was dancing with a lady from Australia who traveled all that way to attend.

18. urish

urish New Member

A four hour drive would definitely give me the drive to open my own social dancing club in my city...

19. megeliz

megeliz Member

I've been known to travel anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half or so to go to dances in the Boston area upwards of 3 times a week. The closest venues to me are in Connecticut, and I still attend one of them regularly, but the one venue that's the absolute closest to me at about 40 minutes away, I won't go to. They charge $10 for just the dance on a Tuesday night (Dances during the week NEVER cost more than $6 anywhere else), and the level of dancing there is so low, it's kind of painful. It's like, why would I go there, when I can travel 20 minutes longer on a Monday night, pay $5, and dance with the some of the best dancers, not just in Boston, but in the nation??