Salsa > Who won the Mayan in 2000 and 2001?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by smooth_criminal, Feb 14, 2006.

1. smooth_criminal

smooth_criminal New Member

I made some research with the help of Google but I couldn't find for sure who won the Club Mayan Salsa Competition in the professional division in 2000 and 2001 :( Can you help me with this, thanks ;)

2. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Been wondering about that too!

Twilight Elena

3. azzey

azzey Member

Johnny Vasquez won it in 2001, I have the video clip of the sem-finals and finals.

4. smooth_criminal

Hey, thanks azzey, I was almost sure it was Johnny in 2001, because he was dancing with Carolina Cerisola and its written in her resume that she is a 2001 Mayan champion :) I have only watched their semi-final dance and they were really a class above everyone else, I would have been suprised if they haven't won either :D

5. azzey

azzey Member

I saw a video biography of her life (last year on UK TV) when she was a struggling dancer in Buenos Aires and dreamed of moving to America. The Salsa was just a thing she did on the side for fun... :)) Recognised her immediately from the Mayan video which I already had and you can guess what happened next when she arrived in LA and started going to Salsa clubs... she met Johnny and the rest is history.

Not dissimilar to how Oliva Dasso met Johnny when she was 17! See her bio..
    http://www.oliviadasso.com/bio.html

6. smooth_criminal

So, who won in 2000 ?

7. BugBear

BugBear New Member

Apperantly it was only for amateurs. This is what I came up with:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]

8. Paou

Paou New Member

Azzey... any chance you could post a link to that vid? Can't get Mayan vids that far back any more. :'(

9. BugBear

BugBear New Member

10. Paou

Paou New Member

Nope, couldn't see any... I'm mainly interested in just seeing Johnny compete in the mayan ;)

11. azzey

azzey Member

It's not on any web site I know of, but I'll upload it somewhere in the next couple of weeks and post a link. Right now I'm getting ready for a big salsa event this weekend.. :)

12. Paou

Paou New Member

Ace! No hurry... am just interested... and good luck with the big event :)