Salsa > Who's Style Do You Admire?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by SDsalsaguy, Apr 4, 2003.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

But first, a message from our sponsor: Congratulations Phil Owl, as our lucky reader of the day, you are receiving your very own version of today’s thread, “Hooooooo’s Style Do You Admire!” And make sure to tune in to the same dance-forums channel for more chances to win such glorious prizes! And now, back to our regularly scheduled posting…

Who’s style of salsa do you like, and why? Do you like smooth, or flashy, or fast, or slow, or slotted, or rotational, "on1", "on2", old school mambo, new NY2, tricks, no tricks, LA, NY, PR, Ruera, Columbian, arm patterns, footwork? Do you have different preferences as far as who’s style you like in shows but not on the floor, or vice versa? Or are there people whose (hooooooo’s -- for today’s lucky winner!) ability and talent you certainly respect, but you just don’t like the style they dance? Enquiring minds want to know!

2. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

There's just something about breaking on the 2...

I don't know, but when I listen to a song by someone like "El Canario" and you hear that tumbao, and the clave just going ta-ta ta-ta-ta...

it just "feels" right (to me anyway) to dance "on 2"!

Now that's just my preference, but realize that I said it "feels right". That's the key here. It has to "feel right" to YOU and only you. Not your instructor, not some "guru", not anyone but to you alone.

3. Enthusiast

Enthusiast New Member

Interesting thing about the clave.

The rhythm involves a triplet:

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1
    C.....C....C.....1

In the first measure of the clave the beat actually falls between the 2 and the 3 beat and between the 3 and the 4 beat. The first note of the clave is the only one that actually falls on one of the beats (in the first measure). For this reason, I think the ONE beat feels best for me. The second measure does follow the 4 beats of music.

...But the second measure of the Clave actually better supports a 2 beat...

4. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

The mysterious Clave...

The thing with the clave that really amazes me, is how such a simple looking device can lead such complex patterns.

Everything from the 2/3 clave to the 3/2 clave.

In the 2/3 clave the first two notes of the clave are on beats 2 and 3.

The remaining notes are played in beats 5, between beats 6&7 and then on beat 8.

In reverse, your typical 3/2 clave is played with the first note on beat 1, the between beats 2&3, then on beat 4. The last two notes are played on beats 6 and 7...

I find that the On 2 style flows very smoothly with this arrangement. The other reason for me is the Tumbao beat, which is basically a conga slap causing a tum-tum kind of sound. These mark beats 4 & 4 1/2 and beats 8 & 8 1/2. Again, these beats that are marked, to me, make it flow nicely with On 2...

Of course, that is my personal preference...for a more in-depth look at what On 2 is all about check out http://www.salsanewyork.com

There's a ton of great information there.

5. SDsalsaguy

Even though the clave remains constant, the remainder of musical arrangement and presentation differs...so, from my perspective, it really depends what song you're listening to. I find that most newer, contemporary arrangements feel (again, "feel") like they break on 1 to me. Its only when I listen to the old-school recordings that I feel like the 2 makes sense musically. I actually had an interesting discussion about this with Tony Meredith a while back, especially as regards ballroom mambo...and how half the time the music selection (DJs' responsibilities I'd guess) is clearly on 1, yet all of these dancers are forcing a 2. Corky Ballas told me that this was part of the challenge, but I can’t help but think/ask, what ever happened to dancing to the music?

6. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

Very good point...

I guess that's why I prefer the "old-schoo" salseros to the more "DLG-like" type salsa music.

The arrangements of the music absolutely differ from song to song as there is a lot of room for artistic expression on the part of the song writers and composers. So yes I agree 100% with you. I think the issue once again remains the same, it has to feel right to you.

From my experience On 2 just feels good, I like the timing and the coordination that are involved in it...what do you think?

7. SDsalsaguy

Re: Very good point...

My personal preference is On1. But, again, I think that is based on a number of factors. (1) That's what I learned and that's what I've been dancing, socially, for 4 years.
    (2) That's the type of music that I hear played at the venues where I go dancing, so it just feels right/fits better.
    (3) I've never really learned the NY2, althought I do like the look of it very much.

As a question, if 2 feels better to you, do you dance "old"2 (I think I've also heard it called power 2), or NY2?
    2,3,4 or 1,2,3?

8. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

1, 2, 3

Definaltely this:

1,2,3 and 5,6,7...

9. SDsalsaguy

Re: 1, 2, 3

I watched a lesson that Eddie Torres was teaching in this style the last time I was in NY. One thing that I really liked about it was that the turn patterns, although "complicated" (a relative term, I know), were ones that people of all ages and physical abilities could do.

Some day, when time and oportunity permit, its definitely a style I’d like to explore…

10. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

Eddie Torres

Well I must tell you, you picked the right person to observe...

Eddie is simply AMAZING! If you're able to take his classes, JUST DO IT.

I don't care if you've never danced on 2, or even if you've never danced salsa before, Eddie will have something for you, and he's the guy you want to learn from...

11. SDsalsaguy

Unfortunately I'm in NY very rarely but, the last time I was, Tony Meredith (who knows what a salsaholic I am) told me that Eddie was teaching down at his (Tony's) studio the next night, so I went over to take a look... and liked it! (Just can't do more then basic, cross body, and underarm turn yet!)

12. Pass It On

Pass It On New Member

I've that because the pause falls on a different spot in the dance (than on1 salsa), it really leads to major differences in style, especially in turns. For, example you see a lot of turns chage direction when the lady is facing away from the man.

Just like SDsalsaguy, I know some of the basic moves, but I haven't deeply explored New York style> There is a small group of dancers in Atlanta that dance NY style, but the style is still pretty unknown here.

13. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

Right the pause comes in on beats 4 and 8, and the break happens on 2 and 6. It is different, but when you see someone who has proficiency, to me, it looks, feels, and seems right...

But seriously, if you get out to NY you must see Eddie...

14. franceon2

franceon2 New Member

Hello,

I would totally agree with you. I learned on 1 but when I became exposed to on2 (eddie torres NY2)there was no turning back. There are many people who dance on2 who use to dance on1 but you do not hear of anyone who use to dance on2 but now prefers on1. Just something to think about.
    KEEP DANCING

15. d nice

d nice New Member

I love old school mambo. I dance very little latin, but what I've been exposed to has actually been pretty extensive for someone who does not "do" the dance. Old school mambo to me just seems the most lively, the most rhythmically complex, and the entrancing.

What do I know though, I'm just a swing dancer. 8)

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Ditto, ditto, ditto . . . I've only got 3 months of Salsa under my belt, but I learn quickly. I simply adjust my cha cha until the Salsa feels natural. I know there are the differences. Learning those differences has improved my cha!
    This IS the way that I'm being taught, and it doesn't contradict with the break on 2 in my cha.
    I brought this up at a recent lesson, and the instructor says that "many are switching to the break on 2." He didn't clarify who "the many" was, and I didn't ask. I also danced with a lady who can do the count on both. I asked her to think 1, but I broke on 2, she had no problems with it. I, on the other hand, have a very fdifficult time breaking on 1, especially with the pauses on beats 4 and 8. It just doesn't make sense musically, especially if you play music, and I do!

17. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

It's not so much that people are "switching" I think
    it has more to do with the fact that On 2 is becoming
    more popular.

Personally, the On 1/On 2 thing is just getting a bit
    out of hand in all of salsa dancing...

I mean let's face it, dancing is an expression and it's
    a personal thing...for me On 2 feels right, for someone
    else though, that may not be the case...

I don't think it's an issue to dance either way, the way
    I see it though, it is an issue when you can't get to
    dance at a club just because of the style you dance
    to.

That to me is crazy!!

18. msc

msc New Member

Not sure the name of the sttyle, but my favorite performers are Salomon and Sandra, hands down.

19. SDsalsaguy

Just keep in mind that there are people who are proficient at on2 but still prefer on1....from local/regional people up to, say, Josie Neglia.

20. SDsalsaguy

Definately on1 and their style is fairly unique and has a lot of ballroom training thrown in. As an aside, as much as "ballroom" is not used as a compliment for most newer salseros/salseras, many of the "top" dancers/performers have sought out some ballroom background/training along the way.