Salsa > Who's Style Do You Admire?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by SDsalsaguy, Apr 4, 2003.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you! As much as I hate to stereotype, I find too many on2 dancers to be downright hostile regarding this issue (I am sure the same might be said of some on1 dancers, I just haven't experienced it). For G-d's sake people, its dancing! And regardles of what respective detractors want to say, both styles are to the music...its not like someone's hearing the same piece and then saying 'hmmm, feels like a foxtrot to me!'

2. franceon2

franceon2 New Member

Hello, SD I forgot that in the U.S. the on2 on1 thing is VERY VERY sensitive and just the mention of one or the other upsets people. I have many friends who love the 1 many who love the 2. When we talk about it in my country no one gets bent out of shape(I think this is the correct saying) because you have an opinion one way or the other. I did not know just agreeing with someone and/or stateing an opinon is considered "hostile" but maybe it is a U.S. cultural thing that I have to learn to understand.

I have to say my favorite performers are Juan Matos and Frankie Martinez. Great performers, great social dancers. Hope that was not hostile.

KEEP DANCING

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Hiya franceon2....no, not hostile at all (and yes, you got the expression right as well). And while the on1 vs. on2 thing can be a sensitive issue here, I was more coming from the "there is never only one 'right' way to dance" frame of reference.

Take this forum's moderator for example--he lives in NY, has trained with Eddie Torres (right salsarhythms?), and definately prefers on2--but recognizes that's what's most important is that you feel "it" (the music/dance). This is where I was coming from...that I'd rather see someone dance what they feel from the music then on1 or on2 if that's not what it "says" to them. Does that make sense?

4. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I learned on1 first and starting dancing on2 about 5 months ago. I love them both equally! I will say on2 fits my personal dancing style more.

As far as who I like to watch dancing I'd have to say Bernard Martinez and his wife (Sonya I think). Smooth, confident, New York mambo. I got to take one of his workshops and just loved it.

5. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

Hey SD, I actually live in CA now, but yes I grew up
    in New York and to be honest, On 2 just feels better for
    me...and yes I do feel that way, it doesn't matter...

I still don't understand what the big deal is...

But of course, it is a sensitive issue =)

6. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Love it

First let me get out my fav dancer. Nydia Ocasio hands down...

Love this little opinion based debate going on here. Every since I started dancing salsa I always broke on2. I didn't know what I was doing but it just felt right to make any sudden moves, with old school salsa, on the 2. I didn't even know I was following the congas but everything I did mirrored the congas. Then one day I learnt that I was mostly dancing on2. I used to get off beat a whole bunch... Now I must say that I prefer on2 simply because that is what I became to know most and got more aquainted with, plus NY City is full of on2 dancers. On1 dancers aren't thought of as "good" dancers by their snobbly on2 fellows. I guess they figure since I can't dance with that person they aren't good dancers... :shock:

7. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Funny, they'll find most of us dance both now. It's about being available to dance with as many people as possible.

8. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Ok, I don't mean to start trouble or anything, but this might be the earliest example of enquiring minds :lol: :lol: :lol: !!

I've also noticed that hardly anyone had directly answered SD's original question :wink: . So how about it....? Who's style do you admire?

*Please leave out all the potential on1 vs. on2 type debate :wink: *

9. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

James Cobo of the Cobo Brothers. Smooth and fluid, intricate yet simple...the dude can dance.

10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. I knew I forgot that I had something to work on.

Don't know any famous people, but yesterday night when charanags came on, salsa music with flute right?, some magical playing was going on. I really admired this instructor from Rochester. Smooth, playful, sexy...

11. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I like Susana Montero and Leon Rose
    And I dance on1 (and wanna learn on2)

12. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i admire any who dance from the heart.. and i can see the music play im their motion and make their partner feel beautiful ..

truelly a wonderful thing to behold such happinness..

other than that i have an appreciation for all styles of salsa and timing .. i take what i like from each and make a new mix with it depending on how i feel, the music and who i dance with.. its all rigged towards the same goal.. how to make the best out of ... so for example.. i could be on 1 timing.. body styling afro-cuban.. yet with smooth grip doing some LA turns/tricks here and there.. shine .. play with free style.. get back into a quick reuda (2-3 moves) with another couple on the floor.. switch back to strict LA style etc.. etc.. the mix changes at a rate according to circumstance aiming to maximize pleasure

13. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

I guess the message here is loud & clear: the ultimate dancer is the versatile one, right :wink: ?

So the more variety we are exposed/open to, the better off we would be, right :wink: ?

14. Sabor

Sabor New Member

umm no.. it was left i tink..

[​IMG]

15. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:nope: Ok, papi.......left it is 8) !

16. aragonh

aragonh New Member

Well, I like a couple of styles/instructors:

First of, Frankie Martinez is the man. That is one person who uses his whole body in dancing.

Next is Bernard Martinez. His is mostly for patterns though. His patterns are smooth and easy to do. You can lead a beginner into his patterns.

The next one is Super Mario. His stuff is also easy to follow. The guy is also cool.

Then there is Jayson Molina. He has some advance moves which would be great to pull off if I remember half the stuff!

And finally there is Eddie Torres. I'll be honest, when I took a class of his in '03 congress, I thought he was overrated (The one who is overated is Matos). To me, he didnt teach anything great (and I didnt see him dance). However, I took another class this year and I really enjoyed it. He made the class entertaining and I liked it alot. His stuff was also good. If I lived in NYC, i would take classes from him (and Frankie).

17. danceguy

danceguy New Member

That's the guy from the video we were talking about on the Salsa Forums right (the song is called Atrevida)? I think he's amazing too...I got so much out of watching that clip I had my teacher watch it so we could work on a few of the techniques he does. I didn't notice at first how many times he kisses his beautiful dance partner, that man is smooooooooth! 8)

Intricate yet simple...that's the way it should be. :wink:

SG

18. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Due to technical difficulties I am not able to watch most of the videos online :cry: ..........

19. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Yeah that's the dude SG. Everytime I watch that video I'm like :shock: April is damn sexy in it too! :D

20. KiwiMambo

KiwiMambo New Member

I saw a lot of good dancers at the LA Congress, esp. those darn New Yorkers :).

I saw a lot of the big names, but the two that stood out even above them were Bernard Martinez (and his wife Sonyo) and Milton Cobo. Smooth, light, small, tight and flowing effortlessly from move to move all while dancing to the music.
    None of that twisted arm knot, spin the girl 20 times stuff. Who needs that when you can dance to the music...

BTW, Bernard and Sonyo Martinez now live in Huntington Beach, California. I commute 1.5 hours each way for his classes every week and it is totally worth it. First rate instructor and super nice people.