General Dance Discussion > Why did you start dancing?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by ShyDancer, Feb 16, 2004.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think I'll just forego the dicey part altogether and just enjoy the fine company ;)

2. Thunderstorms0317

Thunderstorms0317 New Member

Military Balls are not really balls if all we do is eat and leave. This was my complaint time after time, so this year a small band of us tried to change that. A friend who had learned some east coast swing offered to teach what he remembered and I obtained a key to a large room so we could sneak in after hours and dance. My friend and I even made up a tango at the dance when no one would come out on the floor. Looking back, our efforts were modest and our form and understanding of the dance was far from "correct," but in the end everyone stayed until the end of the Ball to dance.

After the ball, the group stopped meeting and life went back to normal. I thought I had developed a "dance instructor crush" on this friend who taught us, but when it came down to it what I really missed was the dancing.

A few weeks later I walked into a studio and signed up for lessons. It challeneges me and I love it.

3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

great story Thunderstorms!

4. Persistantdancer

Persistantdancer New Member

I had no dancing background as a child, though I was quite interested in singing. In my third year of university (last September), I accidently found out about our dance club free introductory lesson. I went there to check things out, purely having social dancing as my priority, but after watching and being inspired by many couples I have met, I decided to go competitive Ballroom dancing. I found a dance partner in febrarury, who was taking private lessons, so I joined in her lesson. I have competed in two competitions so far. I have been practicing more and have two private lesson per week. Still way more to go...

5. middy

middy Well-Known Member

My mom signed me up for a ballet class when I was around five, but I was bored with it and decided that gymnastics was way more fun :p Also did some hip-hop for a little bit.

Got into some swing through a high school club, then decided to try ballroom in college (with a nudge from a good friend), which I did casually for a year, went to my first collegiate competition at the end of the year, then was absolutely hooked. It's not just the dancing but the kind of people that ballroom attracts...really great, fun people who aren't afraid to occasionally make fools of themselves :D And wearing pretty dresses is a nice bonus as well.

Funnily enough, I didn't even start watching DWTS until this past year, though it *always* comes up when I tell someone I do ballroom.

6. DancinProf

DancinProf Member

I took ballet & jazz as a kid and sort of...forgot to stop dancing when I grew up. :D

In my late 20s I got into figure skating. While I was skating I wanted to start ballroom, but like figure skating it's an expensive pursuit. I couldn't afford to do both. So when I got a job 3 years ago in a city with no ice rink, I decided it was an opportunity to learn ballroom instead of a loss of an opportunity to skate. And I'm a MUCH better dancer than I ever was a skater. Bonus: met my husband on the dancefloor!

7. robertje06

robertje06 New Member

Well lets see, here in the netherlands, it is quite common than parents tell their children at the age of say 16, that they have to take a beginners course in ballroom/latin dancing.

Ofcourse my parents did also. At first, like any other 16 year old boy, I really didnt wanted to go, because dancing is for fools, it is stupid, why would i do that, it is old fashioned, bla bla bla, and that I just wanted to play soccer and hang out with friends....

Anyway after one year when the course was over, I sort of "stayed" around the dance school, and I actually liked it, but you wont tell your friends u like dancing, cause they will laugh at you. ( At least, thats the fealing you have)

So after a couple of years of social dance, I went to a competition which was near my house, and from that particular moment, i was completely in love with the competition stuff, the dresses, the suits, the athmosphere...

Now, whilst I am regretting I didnt start comp dancing earlier, you have to beat me off/from the floor, I am dancing both national and idsf amateurs comps every week, and it took control of my life....

Plus, now it is "cool" to say that I dance...

8. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

All my life, the interior monologue was: I'm a Klutz. Awkward. Can't keep a beat. Above all, can't dance, don't even try.

Fast forward 45 or so years, some life changing moments, and the loss of a HUGE amount of weight. One day, in conversation with fiercely intellectual friend, discussing the difference between gross motor coordination and fine motor coordination, I said, "My gross motor coordination is terrible, but my fine is fine; I can play the piano but I can't dance." And then the light bulb moment: I've made so many other changes, why not try dancing?

The local ballroom dance studio had a tear-off flyer on the supermarket bulletin board, advertising a Monday night group class in Waltz & Cha-Cha. I tore off a number, made the call, walked through the door, and changed my life.

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

excellent and welcome to df

10. latingal

Welcome to DF PersistantDancer, middy and robertje06!!

11. old dog

old dog Member

In my childhood there was no PBS and very little TV of any kind available. Somehow I knew dancing existed, but tried to avoid events where there was to be dancing.

When I was in 9th or 10th grade, a dance instructor came to our church youth group and did a very basic 45-minute lesson. The session went OK and I took some good notes and made some diagrams of step patterns (which I still have). However, I was much too shy and awkward at the time to allow myself to be in a position where dancing would be expected, and didn't see any need to pursue or put to use what little I'd learned. Forty years would pass before I decided that dancing might be a good thing for me to try.

When I was about 55 years old, my wife got interested in country line dancing. I eventually got tired of being home alone on many evenings, so reluctantly agreed to attend some dance events. Couldn't stand the music or the loud, smoky venues and many of the participants were not people I (nor my wife) cared to socialize with. But she really wanted to dance and to be out more with other folks. I stubbornly refused to do the line-dancing thing.

As sort of a compromise, we agreed to try some group ballroom dance classes at the local community college. I didn't think much would come of it and figured we'd be done after the end of a six-week course (if I could just last that long). That was 14 years ago and we haven't yet stopped dancing or learning.

A weekend without at least one (social) dance event seems 'empty' to us now. We often drive one or two hours to attend ballroom events. Two years ago we got rid of furniture and ripped out nice carpeting in order to install a dance floor in our home's lower level. (Yes, social dancers do practice.)

Our private lessons keep us challenged with new moves and improving our technique and we continue to be inspired by new-found friends -- a few of whom are dancing into their nineties. I doubt we last that long, but our dancing surely improves our chances of doing so. Our only regret is that we didn't take up dancing many years sooner.

12. Scalar

Scalar New Member

I started dancing ballroom when I turned 36, was interested in the Dancing with the stars show so I thought I would give it a try. So I'm almost three years in and I love it, I've met alot of very nice people and have many new friends because of dance. I especially love the smooth dances.

13. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

Old Dog - that's my only regret too...

14. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I've always wondered about that...why don't more younger people start ballroom dancing? I mean, the college teams are pretty popular, but outside of that atmosphere, I only see people 35+ years old at studio social dances. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's still a lot of fun dancing with everyone.

Is ballroom considered too stuffy when you're young? Or maybe for most people it's awkward to dance up close with a partner until you're mature enough to realize it doesn't have to be? Maybe it's a lack of younger guys? Cause with all the other dance genres, you don't need a partner, so there's a flux of young girls doing ballet/tap/jazz? What do you guys think?

15. Benji

Benji New Member

I can actually answer that question for you. :p I started ballroom dancing cause this really cute brunette asked me if i wanted to dance with her on saturdays. Ofcourse being the "smart" guy as always I said yes before even asking her what kind of dancing. So I started ballroomdancing and never stopped. Even when the girl moved abroad for her studies I stayed here and kept dancing.
    But here on the island, that's one of the more common ways how guys start dancing. It's because the culture here sees those kind of things as non-masculine that allot of guys don't dance...

16. latingal

Count me in as one of those who watched Ballroom on PBS. Took me many years to finally get in to a studio, but once I started there was no going back.

17. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Don't know the status of Phys Ed in the public schools these days, but suspect it's pretty sad, and wasn't so great even back when I was in grade school. Had some random square dancing classes during gym in grammar school (*ewwww* touching boys' hands! :rolleyes:), but that was it. Did some gymnastics for a few years, plus extremely basic ballet and jazz to complement that, but stopped when I was 12 or so. Like many here, I did not start ballroom until much later, though thought about it long before I actually got off my arse and did it.

18. DancingShoes

DancingShoes New Member

Used to enjoy "bop" in the 60's, we'd dance every weekend at National Guard Armory. Then Vietnam, school, kids, etc. Red & I always knew we wanted to learn dancing, just never did until a couple of years ago. Started taking private lessons and were hooked. We've competed a couple of times, show cases & such. We're having a great time. Dance people are the best! Most go out of their way to be kind and friendly. We have made tons of friends. My bride of 35yrs and I have found a new passion to share and renewed passion for each other. This is cool! Shoulda started sooner.

19. AMeader

AMeader New Member

I started ballroom when I was a freshman in college... I had quit the varsity swim team due to an injury and was looking for something completely new. I signed up for a ballroom course figuring it would be easy, not too much work, etc. Little did I know!

I spent six hours a day, 5 days a week learning intro American rhythm and smooth! I absolutely loved it! I came back a year later as the teaching-assistant for the course, and I am now close enough to my first instructor that I call him "Uncle L." I love dancing and I love the way it makes me feel. I have never been so happy in my life.

20. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

So you think 35+ is "older"? :) I missed that memo :) Can someone pass me my walker, please? :)