General Dance Discussion > Why did you start dancing?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by ShyDancer, Feb 16, 2004.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Not touching that one with a ten foot pole. :)

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I always knew you were a smart guy etp! *grin*

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

geez, some great pros are in the vicinity of 35...

4. old dog

old dog Member

Some great social dancers are in the vicinity of twice that age! (Not necessarily referring to myself as far as 'greatness.')

5. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry, I don't mean to sound ageist or imply anything of the sort!

Just comparing ballroom to other dance styles that seem to draw people in when they're young kids or teens, that's all. And when other people said they took years to take a lesson, I wondered if there was any connection.

Ballroom is awesome in that people of such a huge age range can enjoy it. ;)

6. old dog

old dog Member

oops. Please don't be offended by my post, middy. Sorry I didn't make it clear that I was responding only to samina's previous post and was actually intending mostly to suggest that you don't have to be a "pro" to be a "great dancer." (I put the bold emphasis in the wrong place.) I doubt samina intended to call you out for ageism either.

I let 40 years go by between my first dance lesson and the second. Too bad for me, but at least I have 15 years of the joy of dancing and no intentions of quitting any time soon. I'm certainly not offended by reference to my age -- I'm 68 and proud of it. I'm a social dancer -- and proud of it.

Your points are well taken, middy, and most of us would agree that there is an unfortunate lack of interest and/or participation in ballroom amongst the younger generations in this country. We need more discussion of this issue -- especially about what can be done to change this situation.

We thank you for your comments and hope to see more of your thoughts show up here in the DF.

7. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Yeah well, I'm 36 (and I really don't like it when 35+ is considered older, that's something my son and his friends might say), but I personally find that there is an age gap in ballroom community. There are college kids who do their ballroom team thing, and then there are people who are old enough to have teenagers or grown kids. But there are not as many younger adults, because a lot of them are busy raising their families, I guess, or do not have disposable income yet to take lessons outside college community.

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

one of the best social dancers in my dancing experience was in his mid 90s. danced with the energy and sensitivity of a 30 yr old, and knew how to lead. i'll never forget him.

9. Kromat

Kromat New Member

Sometimes there's a problem, because most of us tend to stick
    with people around our age, so many groups are left out.

I'm sure that most people, if they saw others their
    own age, of course they would ask them first,
    since they have probable more similar experiences
    in life, then some in their 40s, 50s, or even 60+

Maybe when I'm older, my gap will not matter as
    much, but for now, I usually stick to, up to 35, but
    there have been times where I danced with older,
    but when that happens, they approached me.

At social dances, lets just have fun, and not worry about
    someones age, but If you too get along, and can dance.

10. Benji

Benji New Member

When I read the posts of everyone in this topic I feel like a little kid butting in an adult conversation....While here on the island I am the oldest person taking classes and im only 22 o_O Big difference between the Caribbean and the rest of the world

11. Dance808

Dance808 Member

The money thing is a real problem for the college - 35 crowd. I'm 28, and started dancing a year ago, and 1) feel like I started WAY TOO LATE, and 2) have no idea how I'm going to afford this incredibly expensive habit as I launch my career. But, I'm creative, so I'm going to find a way! :)

It does make it challenging for me that few ppl in my age group are dancing. I don't mind being the youngest in the crowd in group classes/workshops/social dances, but I'm looking for a new partner (old partnership just ended - incidentally with someone 20 yrs my senior), and it's HARD to find men (or women that can lead) that are my age AND dancing at my level. They all either started when they were young and are champion level by now, or they won't start for another 10 years when their wives want to rekindle the relationship. Depressing!!!

12. old dog

old dog Member

Benji, you mention dance classes with mostly young participants. What are age ranges for persons attending social ballroom dance events (if there are any)?

Maybe most public dancing on your island is done with more traditional/folk type dances and music? I see in Wikipedia that "There is a very rich tradition of Antillean waltzes, mazurkas, danzas, tumbas and pasillos that are popular in Curaçao." I presume most of the music for the dancing in your classes is more like the music we use for ballroom dancing in the USA.

Just curious about how popular ballroom dancing is in Curacao compared to traditional/folk dancing and how this may relate to the ages of those who dance. You said in another post that young men tend to stay away from dancing because it is seen as "non-masculine." (This is ballroom dancing, right?)

By the way, you live on a beautiful island, Benji. We visited Curacao for one day last December while traveling on a cruise ship.

13. old dog

old dog Member

I too think raising young families makes ballroom dancing a lot more iffy.

Does anyone know if studios or other dance class venues ever offer child-care?

What about child-care during dance events? Would this type of service make any difference?

14. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

My son is a teenager now, so it does not matter. He is quite capable of staying home alone. When he was younger (like elementary school age), we would bring him to our lessons and he would wait with a gameboy or book. I see several people doing that sort of thing, with school age kids. Some parties also allow parents to bring well-behaved kids with them (although not all).

Although I don't think child care would make much difference. There is a very prevalent mindset among parents that they focus on their children and their activities so much that they do not engage into any regular activities of their own until their child-raising years are out of the way. Especially when they have more than one child.

15. Kromat

Kromat New Member

some kids start ballroom at around 6 years old, i think the best thing to do is to wait until
    they're around elementary to start considering ballroom, and there is the possibility of
    waiting on doing it on weekends, and just have friends or family take care of them
    for an hour or 2, so there are lots of options.

Unless your going to compete, then financially it's not a problem, just finding
    the time that works for yourself and your partner that is the hardiest part.

I wouldn't have been bothered to start, if it wasn't for my parents, so I have them to thank,
    for considering trying it out the next year, when I thought I was more comfortable.

P.S. Unless your taking lots of private lessons, it's not as expensive when you stick to group classes.

Private lessons are mainly for people to perfect their technique and be more ready for
    competitions, but I'm mainly doing it for social reasons, so I won't spend the money,
    unless I feel like my schedule and finances are more accessible.

16. Benji

Benji New Member

That's the thing. We don't have social ballroom dance events. It's just 12 weeks of training and at the end of those 12 weeks a small presentation/show.

And you were right. The music we use is indeed the more like the music they use in the USA. Ballroom dancing is gaining more popularity than traditional/folk dancing with the younger people, but in general the younger people aren't really interested in those type of dancing.

Actually all types of dancing except for hip-hop, breakdancing and that sort of stuff are being seen as non-masculine. We have a macho-culture here as I like to call it. Even I as a 22 year old can't tell my dad that I want to do classic ballet without getting a disapproving look and a "you're crazy" comment. That's the way things are here:p

If you really want to enjoy the island you should stay here for 2/3 weeks.

17. QPO

QPO New Member

My daughter was having some lessons at her school, for her graduation and I did not want to go to a franchise chain as I did not want to tie myself to contracts. So I managed to track down the teacher that came to their school. I could not believe how many people were at the venue when we got there and it was a very social affair. We have moved on since then as we wanted to learn more and more styling which the others there do not want. that was nearly four years ago and never looked back. we have now done three c=local comps and one interstate comp and have had a hoot.

18. Hammurabi

Hammurabi New Member

i have always love watching other people dancing when i was a kid, and when every girl went and did ballet, i asked my parents too, but my parents think that any curriculum activities are a waste of time, every min should be spend on books and refuse to let me have any lessons.

i didnt end up to be particularly smart, and always resented that i was never given the chance to try out things that i would love to do and other kids were doing e.g. dancing, sports, camping etc.

after university i got my first real job, but the hours were all over the place so i didnt get to do anything, then when i watched dancing with the stars again a few years back, i was thinking oh how i wish i know how to dance, but again, was put it on the back burner for one reason or another, then one day, i was talking to a friend about this, and he said he has always wanted to learn ballroom but never got a chance too and have no one to go with. So i said, well, how about we go together and learn!

well, we were hooked since then, despite some frustrating times, it actually also brought out friendship to another level. Its fun, we love it, and i am so glad that finally i have a chance to learn to dance, even i still think i am crap at it lol!

19. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

Hammurabi - your story is what movies are made of :)

20. Oldgeezer

Oldgeezer New Member

What got you into dance. "The Catalyst"

I don't know if this subject has been covered? If so I apologise.

I was just thinking about what got me started into dancing and wondered what was the catalyst for other people.

Mine was a little unusual but there must be others "I hope!"

I was going around with the usual gang of reprobates, trying to find something to occupy our time, we did and I ended up being tied by my ankles with a thick rope and then suspended upside down from the branch of a tree 10ft up in the air.

It was at this time that I decided "If I survived" to take my elder brother's offer of going to dance classes with him and his gang of friends from school.