Dance Articles > Why Dieting Makes You Fat

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by BodiesByBija, Jan 16, 2005.

1. dTas

dTas New Member

i try to follow the 4 corners methodology to eatting...

when you shop at the supermarket (at least on the west coast USA) you try to shop in the 4 corners only and avoid the middle where the processed foods are. there's the fresh produce corner, fresh meat corner, fresh baked corner, and dairy/eggs (which should be fresh anyway).

its actually a pretty easy way to shop. no isles to go up and down, just once around the store and you're done!

2. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

That is a very good point. Actually, it applies to just about everything else, and not just dancing. I think so often people let themselves "indulge" in just "this one little thing", whether it's a sweet or a new pair of shoes (i'm the sinner here!), and don't notice how quickly it all adds up until the end result of that approach kicks them in the butt.

I like Pygmalion's food journal idea. How about an "indulgence" journal? "This week I did this this and this simply because I wanted to". Could be very therapeutic, actually....

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

At least for me, a big part of the problem was not knowing when I was hungry. Until Weight Watchers, I was pretty much perpetually thirsty, but never realized it. From what I've heard and read, a lot of people mistake feelings of borderline dehydration for hunger.

So Vince's idea about drinking lots of water kills at least two birds with one stone. 8)

4. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

I have a 9 month old granddaughter who as the point where if she has had enough milk, she grabs the bottle out of my hand and flings it!

We all just need to stop when we have had enough (although I think the flinging part is not necessary!) I have gotten really pretty good at stopping. I know that since I am not dieting, and I can have another piece of candy later, or more chips, or ice cream, or whatever, then I don't stuff myself on all the available chocolate (whatever) right now.
    It took me a long time to get to this place...something I owe my dh and running and now dancing.

5. angelbaby

angelbaby New Member

Mmmm am also doing the thing about watching what i eat and when. Journalling when i get to it. Always was underweight (like many of us) until Type I diab about 7 yrs ago and then coeliac diag. this yr. Now have curves :roll:

Dont often feel real "must eat right now!" hunger but am retraining myself to improve my eating and try to identify my hunger cues. Is a bit of a hassle cos also have to eat when bloodsugar levels go too low but may not be actually hungry then and have to make sure no gluten at all (easy at home but can be tricky when out and about needing food immediately but having to be so fussy about it :roll: ).

Am getting better at getting it managed, remembering to eat, trying not to gorge on junk cos i am tired/stressed etc, making sure i always have gluten free food on me esp. hypo supplies. Also i find it embarrassing if ppl notice or pay it too much attention so sometimes it is a bit awkward but happily i am toning really well at gym and have been researching intuitive eating and am starting to apply the principles with success :)

I tend to think it all happened cos i didnt pay my body enough attention lol. Now i have to pay it constant attention :?

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'm with ya' . . . wish we could teach that to all, or bottle it up, so everyone would do it BEFORE they have to!

7. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

That is the basis of what I eat, toast for breakfast, bagel for lunch, lots of pasta for supper. On the weekends, unfortunately, lots of fast food.

8. BodiesByBija

BodiesByBija New Member

I enjoy reading your discussion on my articles! You know, eating is a lifelong learning process. After trying different "experiments" and diets, a lot of people do find their way to Intuitive Eating. All the diets in the world cannot teach you how to eat how Nature intended.

The hard part about it is really that it's not a Quick Fix, but rather a lifestyle change.

It's true, if you neglect your body for some years, it's going to need a lot of attention to make up for it. But you CAN get back in balance, learn healthy habits you can live with. The reward is you FEEL better. It is so worth it!

My clients have a lot of success with Intuitive Eating, and every one of them has found or is finding their particular 'keys' to freedom with food. From all my years as a personal trainer and fitness coach, this has been the most important change in thinking I have seen. "Bravo!" to all of you who are doing it!

9. pygmalion

Thanks, BBB. Great article, with lots of "food" for thought. 8)

10. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the book _Thin for Life: 10 Keys to Success from People Who Have Lost Weight and Kept It Off_ by Anne M. Fletcher.

Fletcher argues that the statistic that only 5% of people who diet keep the weight off is exaggerated and based on out-moded studies. She suggests that the real number of success stories is closer to 20%. She draws on sources including an article by a researcher from The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Maureen McGuire (PhD), whose research was based on a representative sample of 500 individuals, and who published her findings in "The International Journal of Obesity." Fletcher further stipulates that all this negative talk about how impossible it is to keep the weight off is highly counter-productive. So if you do want to lose weight, DON'T be discouraged by that kind of statistics! It's not easy, but you CAN do it!

Also, don't be snowed into thinking that there is only ONE right way to lose weight. That obviously is not true. Fletcher documents the fact that her long-term weight loss success "masters" lost weight in a wide variety of ways. There were, however, certain commonalities in their approach: exercise, positive self-talk, food journals, regular weight checks and definite action plans to nip any relapse in the bud, etc.

I personally do Weight Watchers flexpoints plus exercise. That's not to say that it's the best plan or that anyone else here will like it, but it works for me. I lost the weight I needed to lose in two months, and have been on maintenance for FOUR solid months as of Friday. I have, if anything, lost a little more weight. Weight Watchers really works for me, because there are no forbidden foods and you can splurge and still stay on plan--you just need to be aware that there are trade offs. (E.g., if you want to have a piece of birthday cake at a party on Saturday, maybe you go light on your snacks during the week; if you are going out to a fantastic restaurant for dinner, you might eat lighter earlier in the day.) I personally am entirely uninterested in methods like Atkins, because I love carbs, and I really do NOT see myself severely limiting them for the rest of my life. Other people feel differently, and that's great for them, but for me, WW is something I can do forever without feeling deprived.

And I agree with those who say that a food journal is really helpful. It keeps me honest with myself.

:) ChaChaMama

11. pygmalion

Yep. I also read somewhere that one characteristic shared by people who keep weight off successfully is that they eat breakfast. 8)

12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

True. Eating regularly throughout the day..also small meals so one does not gorge and fast...

13. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I don't diet and I ALWAYS make time to eat a good breakfast!

14. pygmalion

I'll have to see if I can find that older article somewhere. In the US, there's a registry of people who've lost a significant amount of weight (30 pounds, I think?) and kept it off for two years or longer.

Folks on that registry were polled, and they had a short list of specific things in common. The ones I remember were regular exercise, eating breakfast, and drinking water. I think there were other things, but I really can't remember them all.

Either way, those three are a good place to start, I think. 8)

15. pygmalion

Oops. I was wrong. It's thirty pounds, but you only have to keep it off one year to be eligible to join the registry.

Interestingly, walking is the most common form of exercise among the registrants. 8)

http://www.uchsc.edu/nutrition/WyattJortberg/nwcr.htm

I saw more info about this group in a longer article somewhere, but I don't have time to find it. Busy day. :?

16. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Read this article by accident again. This year, I have been in a rather intense (for me) regime of dancing, and I felt/feel that I could lose a little weight. When I saw the scale numbers going up instead of down, I panicked and started counting calories. Oh boy. That made me neurotic to the point of anorexia.
    Emotional eating is a very good point. It's not the only point. Eating a burger full of saturated fat from cooking oils and processed bread is quite different than eating a grilled burger with whole wheat bread. Yet I'm sure that my body would be sated just the same with both. So quality of food still counts, but not to the extent of nowadays neurotic diets.
    But it's still a solid point. As pygmalion said, if you're reaching for the chocolate brownies after a bad day or a fight with someone (and eat the whole box without realising it and STILL feel lie crap) then something is wrong. I can't count the times I've found myself doing such things. Hell, I draw too much emotional satisfaction from eating! I actually feel emotionally better for a little while after having eaten a tasty meal. I'm quite sure that's the brain talking, not the stomach.
    The eating diary sounds like a good idea, actually. Might make me actively eat better and understand my habits more.

17. hamstersphere

hamstersphere New Member

T_E, there's a Web site called SparkPeople out there that makes it very easy to keep a food diary for a while, just so you know what you're really dealing with. (It's also good at keeping track of your nutritional levels, which can be pretty enlightening.) Hopefully it's OK that I've mentioned it without giving a link - don't want to endorse anything and there are plenty of similar sites on the Net, too!

18. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I lost over 20 lbs over the last 5 months or so and have not gained any back. Moderate loss with careful meal planning - and yes, I rely on breakfast. In fact, I have a traditional one eggs, toast, one small sausage link - but without potatoes. My secret weapon, is a pile of grilled (actually usuall fried in vegetable oil) tomatoes. These are very good for you, have virtually no calories and because they are not porous unlike potatoes they do not take up the fat. That gets me to lunch when I have a greek salad without dressing (or with oil free). If I don't eat regularly then hunger kicks in and I gorge. Yesterday I worked tthrough lunch and suddenly had a hunger pang - next thing I knew I was attacking a whole chicken leg!

19. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

So what happens if you smoke (makes you thin) but you're on a diet (makes you fat)? Hmmm...something to ponder...

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I think you end up like a nice cured ham... :)