Dance Articles > Why Do Dancers Smoke?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by BodiesByBija, Feb 17, 2005.

1. spectator

spectator Member

Why does this dancer smoke?
    because she likes it. a lot.

2. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

are we talking about cigarettes here ? ;)

3. spectator

spectator Member

fags, of course. I save the crystal meth for fat days.

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Lol! I KNEW I liked you for a reason! Good to see you back, have missed your irreverent humor.

5. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

oh, you're so limited to things... and here I thought you might be my type of gal :bkick:

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Might be a bit of drive to pick her up for a date, anyway, quix. :)

7. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

we can always do the online dating thing and end our night with a spirited session of cyber... :rolleyes:

8. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

:shock:

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

uh yes...tone it down a bit plz

10. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

11. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

I am sure many dancers smoke for the same reason that some non-dancers smoke, because they don't know how not to. Although I don't now hate the "fragrance" of stale cigarette smoke, as a former smoker I will never lose my empathy for those who want to quit but can't.
    I just hope they are fortunate enough someday to appreciate the freedom of not having to light up between dances, during movies, between cocktails, or ..........

12. jfm

jfm Active Member

she also smokes occaisionally when she does her turbo milonga ochos.

13. Reyesuela

Reyesuela New Member

Broccoli is an anti-carcinogen--it helps PREVENT cancer.

And I don't drink coffee and rarely have caffeine. (BTW, there isn't any good evidence hat coffee is carcinogenic: http://www.inchem.org/documents/iarc/vol51/01-coffee.html) I'm solidly within my recommended weight range and exercise often. I never tan, either. I've been working on increasing--successfully--my fruit and veggie intake for some time now.

"Everyone" doesn't have destructive habits. If I were hurting myself knowingly, I'd really re-evaluate my life and try to figure out why I'm punishing myself like that and what I'm hoping to achieve by it.

I once was friends with a smoker who said she smoked because at least that way she'd "die happy, with a cigarette in her hands." I said, "Oh, you mean like our family friend who was in such agony from emphysema that he finally blew his own brains out and left his body for his family to find rather than suffer any longer?"

I never knew one grandfather because he smoked. The second one had considerable lung damage because of second-hand smoke,which made his last years more difficult. One of my grandmothers was a smoker and alcoholic. She kicked the alcohol in her 40s, and she stopped smoking when I asked her to when I was three because I didn't want her to die from it. Well, she'd done her body serious damage by that point, as the smoking and alcohol led to sever osteoporosis. She was in phenomenal amounts of pain for year and ended up almost bent double at the waist. She essentially died from organ failure because her bone collapsed around her organs. Talk about a gruesome way to go.

If you're knowingly choosing to do that to yourself, you've got even bigger problems than the smoking.

If you're doing that to someone else--ANYONE else, even a guy passing on the street--that's appalling. There is NO safe amount of cigarette smoke. That goes even for parents who never smoke inside the house--the mere exposure to the smoke on their clothes makes their kids more likely to have all sorts of problems.

I think the legal age of smoking should be raised one year per year--for the next 100 years.

14. fascination

I appreciate your strong feeling as someone who has lost her own mother to cancer...however, I think it is important to realize that smoking is a strong addiction...and that loving people use it as a coping mechanism and aren't always up to giving it up...we all have our limitations...just another thing to consider

15. Peaches

*sigh* :roll: Oi.

16. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Could actually use on eright now myself, though trying to resist. This whole new job (and new apartment, new friends, new country, etc), is likely to get me started again. Esp as pro isn't around to tell me how bad it is and tha tI should quit out here. ;)

17. Peaches

Had you quit?

18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Yep, gave up smoking a while ago, maybe 5-6 months? on rare occasion might have one or two cigarettes (had 1 last monday, one at a wedding couple month s ago, etc), but that's it.

19. fascination

here's my rule...bum one but don't buy a pack....

20. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Yeah, that's what I've done the few times (like those two mentioned) when I just have to have a smoke. because if I buy a whole pack, I probalby won't stop (though I have bought one sine then, and threw it away after only 2 cigarettes, didn't even finish eithe rof them. but can't count on that again. and can't afford that habit, least not at the price I paid for that pack in downtown Chicago at $7 or whtaever)