Salsa > Why do I panic on the dance floor ...

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by road2graciousness, May 1, 2006.

1. road2graciousness

road2graciousness New Member

Yes, I'd like very much like to improve my dancing, and to explore the issues it brings up for me.

On the feminine / masculine thing ...

Surely, if you're coming from a place of peace and love, your movement will express itself naturally, and in a way that feels comfortable and appropriate for you. I think each person has both female and male characteristics, at the same time, though we may have a tendency towards one or the other, we will always have both. Harmony and play between these opposites, both within the individual and also between dance partners. Soft (female), and strong (male), and with no sharp edges. Fun, playful, and really sexy and beautiful.

Artificial social constructs that tell us how we should be, errrrr, sod that.

*razz* (I can't do smilies till 15 posts).

2. road2graciousness

road2graciousness New Member

I just realised, a major problem I have, that causes me to 'panic' on the dance floor, is that I care way too much about the opinions (some) other people have of me.

These 'some' other people, usually fall in to 2 catagories.

1) Girls I find attractive.
    2) Fantastic followers.

Also other people in general (esp. dancers, male and female, that I admire and look up to).

I'm guessing this a common human thing?

3. icering

icering New Member

lol recently I was studying and practicing all these new salsa move I learned from friends I though I was the shmick-shmam-dizzle but as soon I hit that dance floor with instructor I couldn't remember anything.

4. Vin

Vin New Member

The thing about dancing that I always try to remember is that the whole concept of someone else being a "better" or "advanced" dancer is simply a silly concept.

One person's dancing can be more developed, or someone might have more experience, or someone might have a reputation as a better dancer but all of that is subjective.

You are not out there competing with anyone, you are out there to have a good time. If you judge yourself against other people then you can drive yourself crazy. Simply do your best to enjoy yourself and make the dance enjoyable for your dance partner, and try not to bump into too many people along the way. You are not any of the other people on the dance floor, you are simply yourself.

What does this have to do with the rest of this post? When you quit judging yourself against this imaginary yardstick that you have for yourself you will no longer have this feeling of inadequacy when dancing with someone who is a "better" dancer than you are and you will not panic.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi Vin. Long time, no see. Of course, I haven't been in DF as much as I'd like lately, so I may be totally off-base. Just wanted to say hi. Hi. :D

6. africana

africana New Member

couldn't have said it better!
    When one feels like he/she -has to- fit a certain mold that may not fit with who they are at any point in time, or fit what they value in dance then it's easy to feel supressed, judged or self-conscious in ways that really limit how creative and expressive they can be. I've seen it all too often in the salsa culture

as someone said earlier, variety is a lot more interesting!

Yup still happens to me occassionally, like with teachers I used to learn from, or with 'critical' audiences, feeling awkward ;) It's prob more challenging for leads who essentially have to choreograph the dance
    But in time it becomes easier and easier to ignore external factors and become your true self more consistently, being comfortable in your own skin.

it's like a performance anxiety, and I think a lot of people successfully reduce it by actually performing (on stage or even socially ;-0) and LOTS of social dancing