General Dance Discussion > Why do men say this on the dance floor?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by SPratt74, Apr 22, 2006.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

You've never barn-danced? It's fun! And a great mixer.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

if there's a hard wood floor and a chandelier...MAYBE

3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Okay, okay, I was kidding about the barn dance part... I've got a waltz with your name on it, just waiting for the opportunity... :kissme:

4. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Green Acres Barn and Ballroom?
    [grin]

Actually, I was thinking about the Barn Dance, which is a country mixer. And it was danced at a studio with a floating floor. And I think the ceiling fans have light fixtures on them.

I never did like country music, but the dancing's fun.

5. fascination

I was kidding too, but I do have a snooty city girl image to maintain ya know....(I'll see your waltz and raise you a tango and a bolero:cool: )

6. fascination

but of course Oliver....I just cant do a barn dance without diamonds;) (incidentally the character and I share the same first name)

7. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I've never barn danced either, and I worked on a farm when I was a little squirt! ;)

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I didn't know you do bolero! Yes, now it's really getting interesting... :raisebro:

9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Ok I have no idea what bolero is. Do I even want to know??? :p

10. ssjss

ssjss New Member

A dance that can get you in some trouble. Alot more passion than a Rumba!!!

11. fascination

why yes:cool: ...it is fast becoming a favorite....and yes, s, you do want to know and yes, it is very dangerous if the right two people are dancing it:cool:

12. Throwaway Overshare

Throwaway Overshare New Member

Getting back to topic, I was thinking about those who try a new activity more to meet people than out of depth of interest in the activity itself. I wonder if sometimes this is a reaction to realizing that they are not going to meet anyone in their existing daily routine or activites they have been deeply invested in previously. People who seem shallow in the dancing setting may not really be shallow, they may just be newly out of their depth. Realistically, when you think about how non-dancers imagine dancing, it seems like a pretty good choice. That we have this whole subculture of seriousness in dancing and often loose sight of the male/female dimension entirely isn't their fault - in a way, it's ours. Where after all are single people who want to change that status supposed to go? Bars usually get mentioned as the obvious no, church sounds wrong but may actually be a good idea - while dancing falls logically right there in between. Nobody should be dropping immediate propositions in any sort of activity setting of course, but if we allow for the chance that single beginners may be evaluating dancing after deciding some previous invested in activity isn't going to get them a date, then perhaps its reasonable that they want to get an idea of the prospects before getting too deeply involved in an activity that may not do anything more for their dating life than their previous hobbies did.

So perhaps its not so bad when someone is upfront, even almost bluntly upfront, about their agenda. If it doesn't go over well with those they meet, then they know that dance community may not be a place they want to work on joining - unless they happen to get interested in the dancing itself.

13. fascination

well said

14. fluffy

fluffy New Member

I don't have a problem with guys learning to dance as a way to meet women. There's a difference between wanting to meet women, and wanting to hit on every one in order to get laid! At college a lot of guys were there to meet woman as they were on male dominated courses, the ones there purely to get lucky didn't last.

15. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:) Bad line for pick up, if you ask me.

But most people (both male and female) do learn to dance to meet others. Not necessarily to get laid. Just to meet others. Some learn to get a "workout".... but not so many. Most learn to meet others.

What is the problem with that? If they get nasty and all they want is sex, slap them! Either verbally or physically... If they just want to meet women - fine. Date them or not. But getting offended just because they no longer want to be lonely is not the best approach.

IMHO...

16. Whirling Dervish

Whirling Dervish New Member

I guess I'd have to say that a lot of my students consisted to guys who just wanted out of the house for awhile. They worked all day, sometimes went out with buddies afterward, went to training for their jobs, went to dinners for their jobs--all they knew was their jobs and wanted something else in their lives.

Interesting memory out of this thread: I had one student who was cabinet maker--this roughish guy didn't look like he could do anything but walk, talk (a little) and make wooden things. He ended up teaching part time six months after I met him. He was very intelligent and moved like liquid.

All he wanted was to get away from wood for awhile each night, and ended up with a part time career (and competitions).