Salsa > Why do people enjoy salsa dancing so much?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Charli, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Hehe, I'm sorry. :)

These discussions seems to have a life on their own sometimes. You make a comment, a small correction, but never expected it to become a topic for discussion. :D

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Yes, and I can "dance " Salsa to Cumbia music ... and what the vids show is NOT pure Balboa, its a hybrid Swing /Balboa, hence the musical style . Its like saying Jive and Lindy are the same dances.

3. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

What tempoes balboa and shag is danced to were never the point for bringing this up. The point was simply that it is not only the tempo that decides how exhausting a dance can be. Collegiate shag is much more exhausting than balboa, if done at the same tempo.

Arguing about what tempo balboa and shag is commonly danced to never had relevance to this.

Since this is the Salsa corner of the forum, I've moved the rest of my comment here: http://dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=33160

4. tangotime

true .. mentally.. yes

5. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Haha! So true! It can be really exhilerating but really tiring too!

6. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

I'm just putting in here that Collegiate Shag and Carolina Shag are two completely different animals before returning you to your regularly scheduled Salsa discussion.

I dance Salsa because of the music. The dance that has evolved with the music fits it. The music is fun, energetic, and happy and so is the dance.

That's why i like it and why I dance it.

It's pretty much why I dance all the dances I do. They music they were developed for lets me express my personality in different ways.

7. charmia

charmia New Member

I guess it's easy to get to a place where you can dance with a partner - not necessarily dance particularly well - but well enough to have fun. Also I'd say the music is playful rather than super-serious or sophisticated, which makes it more accessible. If it's just a trend it's certainly become a long-lasting one!

8. tangotime

You obviously do not understand the lyrics.. not ALL salsa is about happiness..there has been a discussion on Salsa Forums about this very topic... the music can be very mis leading( no pun )