Salsa > Why do people give up salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by tchaguito, Jan 24, 2005.

1. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

It's been a looong while on DF since I've been so moved (and really couldn't have put it better or agree more :wink: ).....!

A belated welcome to you, djpatricio :D !!!!!

2. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Ditto to this, sista...!! I can soooooo relate to it.

While I wouldn't say the lifestyle is totally gone (in my scene anyway), it DOES seem to head that way :? ........ hence we are building/contributing a little consensus (locally & 'globally' via DF/SF) so that the lifestyle may live on 8) ........

3. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Wow...there are no easy answers for this one. I'm kind of stuck at a crossroads with my interest in Salsa. I love the music, love the dance but find myself feeling disconnected from the people when I go out to the clubs. It feels like an ill-fated romance...constantly in a state of love and hate...but neither one ever completely taking over.

I think back to going out 3-4 times a week...getting home at 5 am and being at work on 2 hours of sleep but running well on Salsa fever. Considering all that life has thrown my way since I began...the fact that I've gone out Salsa dancing as much as I have does tell me that I have a passion for it.

But...it is merely a hobby...or a lifestyle? To be perfectly honest...I would have to lean more towards hobby...since most of the people I see living the lifestyle have nothing that drives me to join them. Nothing much at all.

Yet there is still something there...something that calls me and every now and then...a feel a spark and the passion is ignited all over again. But is this love...or just infatuation? Perhaps travelling would help me to see more of what Salsa is...perhaps not...

One thing I do know...is that there is something else in my life that comes first...and despite my love of Salsa...my priorities and who I am puts Salsa at second fiddle. And it can be no other way...it is what it is.

Hmm...so I don't know...I'm not big on labels...I dance when I want to dance, and when I don't, I don't.

In some ways its like love...I don't think I'm ever supposed to know what drives me to dance Salsa...or to be drawn body, mind and soul to another person.

That I allow myself to have said feelings and desires...that's what's important to me. :wink:

4. brujo

brujo New Member

I don't think people necessarily give up cold turkey, but they definitively slow down on their dancing. You simply can't go out 5 nights a week and be effective in your life and your job. This must be specially hard if you have a family to take care of.

A big difference is also giving up on the club scene and giving up salsa. North American clubs are not the most welcoming places to dance, I often get the feeling here that people are there really to compete with each other rather than have a good time and share it with everyone else. You may argue that you don't have to be that way, that you can be the person there that radiates passion, but how long can a person give without being reciprocated?

When you dance in the latin cultures, everyone around you dances, it touches you in a spiritual and emotional level. In North American clubs, it feels like everyone is trying to show how much they love the music, to impress everyone else around them, they know the words to the songs but they don't know what it means. Of course, I'm generalizing, but sometimes it just gets frustrating to get ready in a cold winter night only to go out and stand around in a club, where everyone is self conscious and you are getting and ersatz version of what you came for.

5. brujo

brujo New Member

And on that note, just because you don't see the people in the clubs or in the forums doesn't mean that they have given up completely. Maybe they are taking percussion classes, maybe they are travelling from place to place, maybe they are taking lessons but not showing up in the clubs. The hardcore addicts never go away.

6. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

You've hit the nail on the head, Brujo!

.......there might be other interesting things to do if the club scene gets tiring (I've just come back from one such holiday :wink: )!

7. brujo

brujo New Member

To be brutally honest, this whole salsa addiction crap is totally unhealthy. People in Cuba don't go out dancing every night. There is no bembe every evening. Ricans don't go to bars every single night of the week to dance. It would get boring. Can you imagine going out drinking and dancing every night?

I think a big part of the dancing experience is the high that you get from enjoying the music with like-minded people. Eventually you need to slow down and enjoy the other aspects of life. I go out about once or twice every month and have an absolute blast, but it doesn't mean that I am going to let my life revolve around salsa.

8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

My sentiments, EXACTLY!

9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

When you really think about it, all such "addictions" get old after a while!
    (To me, anyhow!) I just stick with my real "passions", of which I will honestly say dancing is one, and do them as often as I can realistically fit them into my schedule.

10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I see... :)

11. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

this pretty much mirrors my thoughts about it (although i might actually enjoy a night of waltz/foxtrot with the right partner) & to include:

12. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

At ballroom evenings I tend to dance salsa pieces much less often than other dances, and much less often than I used to, because it's physically demanding and I'm not getting any younger. It goes fast, and the pieces can be very long, more than 10 minutes for one single salsa sometimes.

13. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Heh heh heh- that's why we like it! :twisted:

14. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I beg to differ, I lead this very lifestyle mocked upon, hence allowing me to say the very statement above shows much still to be gained to understand what the term “salsa addiction” means. It's like saying: to be a devout Christian is crap because going go to church 5 times a week at the crack of dawn is bull and unhealthy. ...Because it doesn't fit our thinking it means not crap, it simply means it is different.

When a person is addicted to salsa it has more to do with culture, religion, history, interpersonal relationships, the music, the dance, to me alchemy, etc, etc. Someone who is addicted to the dance is just that... addicted to the dance not the fullness of a lifestyle, which means the dancer is at the baby steps of what it is to live the lifestyle triggered by the music, one which slowly through the progress of time will have religious impact, whether conscious or not. That is the addiction people see in salsa but have no attributing factor to, religious/spiritual beliefs that unknowingly affect us.

When a person takes Salsa to a lifestyle it becomes a representation of an understanding of that beyond steps of a lusty night of dancing. For we see more to salsa than a person lacking the understanding of Salsa in Religion, in Culture, in History would. Hence, when addiction comes into place, the last thing we think of is flying around doing spins on a dance floor, but more of what the music means to me as a person within my religious beliefs, my culture, how I interact with each human being, and when dancing at what "unconscious/subconscious/conscious" feelings the music brings out that trigger needed to connect to it, dance partner, that transcends the physical realms of reality, culminating in a meditative state of being or omnipresence.

That's addiction! One that doesn't stop me from my everyday living because it is my everyday living, it is part of my religious beliefs, it is part of my culture, it is part of my history, it is part of what makes me, this very person.

I just happen to verbalize and have the knowledge of a topic that many feel but can’t explain.

15. tj

tj New Member

There's a lot here that strikes a chord with me and my experiences...

What I believe is that you can choose whether to play along or not. There *are* people who aren't driven by competitiveness and jealousy (salsa social climbers is the term I like to use). Find them and cherish them with all their flaws. But treat them well, and they'll treat you well in return.

16. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

I've slowed down but haven't stopped totally my goings out to salsa clubs.

I’ve started going up to NYC with my girlfriends people seem to be different
    there.
    I love the on two soulful style and think it suits me very well.
    I will ignore as Tchaguito said “ the eliticism and snobbery” wherever
    I go to dance.

17. tj

tj New Member

Wow - that was quite the post, AS. It's unfortunate that the scene is treating you that way. And I have found the occasional dissatisfaction with the scene, too. But not in the same way, of course.

And pardon my generalization as I'm treading dangerous ground whenever I make a sweeping statement as I'm about to do (but hey this is my experience here in DC)...

But I have found that black women here in DC are much more friendly and fun to dance with than any other group out here. Of my top 20 favs, probably more than 1/2 are black. They don't seem to have any of the pettyness or baggage that a lot of the other women in my local scene seem to have.

So to africana, Artsy Salsera, and timbafreak (and in my case - my favs)... just remember that there are some of us who adore dancing with you (and yes, I know that you already addressed this).

18. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Thanks, TJ.
    I appreciate that.

19. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

No appology needed ArtsySalsera!

Write as much as you like, length and time is of no essence to substance, pleasure to read!

20. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Thanks so much.