Salsa > Why do people give up salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by tchaguito, Jan 24, 2005.

1. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

:D Yup, Cute little buggers, aren't they!
    ...and also thanks for posting those pics.

:eek: I'm glad you understand and sure, I'm ready to dance when you are [​IMG]

2. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

This is so true how everyone is a pro or a salsa instructor these days..
    It is such a pity that people like you, msjanemas, stop going out dancing salsa... of course if you don't enjoy anymore, not worthwhile doing it.. but for a person like myself who enjoys both the "flashy" side of salsa as well as salsa as a "lifestyle", i am sadden that not so many young people these days would get to experience the latter aspect of salsa.

3. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Because they're crazy, crazy sods! :shock: Give up salsa... pffh!

-First of all, if a relationship is stopping you from doing something you enjoy a lot, then something's wrong with the relationship. Now, if you don't really care about it, then that's that. You never did care about salsa, and so didn't have any problem giving it up.
    -Well. I only take classes once a week, with the same teacher, same people, same environment (practice parties), same DJ, same freaking day of the week, and I'm not bored! Instread, I look forward to every single lesson! :D
    -That does not necessarily mean you have to give up salsa. There are always other venues, studios, clubs. There are some that are bad. Some that are newbie-friendly. Some that are plain rude. Taht goes for everything in life. If you give up dancing just because the environment was hostil, chances are you'll give up many things in your life.

And I say: Give up salsa while liking it? :shock: Loco!

Twilight Elena

4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

T_E-
    Once you've started hanging out at clubs and have totally immersed yourself in a salsa environment, you will thoroughly understand what Tiago has experienced. I have experienced the same thing, and it is why I have put the reins on my dancing habits.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yeah. The club scene can be pretty snippy. :(

6. tacad

tacad New Member

I wonder if there is any way to either just go to the friendly clubs. Or if there are limited choices in clubs maybe hang out with the nice, though few, people at the club. Maybe form a friendly clique open to friendly people.

7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

That's of course the ideal, to find the perfect club with the perfect people, but it's perfectly impossible. No matter where you go there will always be the show-off guys, the uppity women who will always refuse to dance with you, the clique of people who "don't dance with beginners"(but ain't so hot themselves) and other unsavory stereotypes. It is smart to hang with the nice folks, as there are plenty of those, too. This is what I try to do, and stay disassociated from all the gossip and ill rapport that sometimes goes down at the dance venues.

8. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Well, this can be one of the most effective ways to deal with the 'hostility' factors at the clubs.

I know for a fact that DFers like TJ and myself have posted on similar topics. It's your scene. You CAN make a difference by building a network of like-minded people & contact eachother when going out dancing 8) .

9. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

I don't understand cliquey people. It's all very juvenille. Seems to me, it's more important to be dancing and having fun than worrying about status or which crowd you're in.

Me, I'm relentlessly friendly and I choose not to notice such things. It's amazing how such problems can disappear when you simply fail to acknowledge them.

10. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

This is something I posted in another thread:
    From the Concise Oxford Dictionary:
    clique n. a small exclusive group of people.

If it's a friendly group open to outsiders, it's not a clique.

People who are friends/know each other always form groups. Whether or not these groups become cliques depends on their exclusivity. A cluque is a group in which you somehow have to "earn" your membership.

I have noticed that groups of friends can seem like cliques from outside. I've encountered people commenting about cliquiness [sp?] of people at certain clubs where I know that's untrue. If you are new and feeling intimidated, you perceive cliquiness where none exists.

Of course, I'm sure there are many places where real salsa cliques exist...

And back to the question of the OP:
    The reasons why people I *personally* know have left salsa:

- Relationship. And not necessarily with a non-salsa person. I've seen couples who met through salsa disappearing or making very few appearances (a lot fewer than before they coupled up). There are venues I used to go to regularly but not since I started going out with my SO (a salsero). People I saw only at these venues probably think I'm also one of these "lost to lust" :lol: people.

- Other interests. Some people never become salsaholics and disappear simply because "they have better things to do" ( :shock: shock! horror!). :lol:

- Personal issues with other people in the scene. Like relationship breakup, falling out with a salsa friend, or problem with the teacher.

11. hopelessly_addicted

This is what my ballroom dancer friends tell me as well.. that salsa all night is a bore. I wonder if this is true to all ballroom dancers?

I’ve got a friend who first started partner dancing with Ceroc. He won few amateur competition and got bored with it and moved on to Salsa. He says that salsa would keep him interested a bit longer than Ceroc because there are different styles and has a relatively big social scene. But he’s certain that in a few years time, he’ll move on to another type of dance.. this is a case of salsa being not more than a hobby I guess...

Another friend of mine travelled overseas for 2 months, then got busy with work. She almost quitted salsa. She said that once you stop dancing, you tend not to think about it too much, and it’s very easy to not go out dancing. However, once you start going out again, you can’t stop unless some big hurdles comes up (having kids, career change, etc). I can identify myself with this. For me, either I dance 2-3 times a week or no dancing at all. I find it really hard to minimise the dancing to 1 night a week...

12. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I don't like clubs. All clubs. Any clubs. Even salsa clubs. I don't like the idea of clubs.
    Hmmm. That was pretty negative of me.

Twilight Elena

13. hopelessly_addicted

Perhaps not all people have your attitude because some seek for friendship and the feeling of belonging from salsa scenes. I used to confidently say that "oh I don't care who I hang out with as long as I get as many dances I want". While getting many good quality dances is still my priortiy when I go out dancing, as I get to know the people in the scene, I find that having a few salsa buddies is a plus especially your night is not going all that well :roll: :wink: So yes, I can understand how people might drift away from salsa due to the disdain that they may harbour towards those who are in the scene..

What I'm saying here might be more relevant to the discussion which MacMoto directed our attention to just above :arrow: Salsa Cliques: Discussion Question

14. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!

You go, sista (seems like we are doin' the paralle thingie again) :wink: !

..........Should we start a "Lost to Lust" Club :p ...??

15. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

16. I thought I had responded to this before, but I don't see any response from me. I have not been out salsa dancing for a long time. (I expect that to change soon, but I've been saying that for a logn time as well. Still, there's a four day weekend coming up. . . It may be time.)

I started dancing less partly because I was in a relationship for a while, with a dancer no less, but in the initial dating phase, I thought it was important to do other things besides go out dancing, so that we'd get to know each other more. And then since I didn't always get to see her much, given a choice between staying out with her dancing all night or getting to spend some time alone with her back at my apartment, somehow the latter won out. And also, on nights when I wasn't seeing her, I didn't want to stay out really let and then be tired the next night when I was going to see her. (None of this is to say that we never went out dancing together, or apart, but the relationship cut back on it a bit, even though we were both dancers.)

The allergy season has been really bad the past few years and that's made me less inclined to go out. (This year has been somewhat better for me so far.)

I moved to a new apartment last summer, and a lot of unexpected problems came up as a result.

I've been taking driving lessons for a long time, and I did not feel comfortable staying out late the night before a lesson (and I usually had a lesson one free day a week).

So, some big things and some small things all added up to making me get out of the habit.

17. Also, for a lot of different reasons, my dance lesson/class situation totally changed. My teacher and her husband stopped teaching group classes, and I wasn't completely comfortable with their substitute. My teacher also was much less interested in teaching salsa at all at that point.

18. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Another member of the DF Lost to Lust Club? :wink: :lol:
    Yes, going dancing with your girl/boyfriend is not quite the same as spending quality time with her/him.

19. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I would probably wager it is because they are bored and/or tired of it. I quit going to a weekly swing night because the thought of doing WCS and Lindy for 5-hours straight drove me insane. I like diversity.

I'll most likely give up salsa when and if I a) become pregnant and b) get bored of driving an hour to dance salsa, merengue and bachata.

I WISH they did cha cha because I love it.

That is why I will probably never limit myself to doing just salsa...I like all my dance choices from ballroom.

20. (Meanwhile though I've continue to dig into listening to salsa and some other Latin music, and read Ned Sublette's Cuba & Its Music, so I haven't lost interest, and the music has remained a part of my life. I'm really hoping to get out this Sunday night.)