Salsa > Why do some regions do "on 1" vs "on2"?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by pix, Apr 24, 2005.

1. pix

pix New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I saw the "On1 to on5, on2 to on6" link and was wondering why NYC tends to dance on 2 while Philly dances on 1. Are other cities/countries as well defined? Examples?

Now, I know the difference between WC and EC swing, but "on 2" is still pretty new to me. Is the basic difference between "on 1 and "on 2" simply that you move forward or backwards on a different beat? I'm sure I'll get it one of these days..

L

[Moderator Edit: Active links to commercial organizations are only allowed in Profile Signatures. The below links have now been deactivated.]

-http://www.centraljerseydance.org/special_events.html
    -http://www.centraljerseydance.org/lessons_cjds.aspx

2. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Well, sort of... it can be defined as moving to different beats... :)

3. tj

tj New Member

Re: Why do some regions do "on 1" vs "on2&quo

In my opinion, On1 or On2 mostly has to do with who the local instructors are, and who influenced them as they were learning.

And yes, both On1 and ETOn2 step on the same beats, but the steps are different. Mostly that the "pause" (or "slow") will be in a different position for your feet.

4. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

Re: Why do some regions do "on 1" vs "on2&quo

To end the fruitless arguments over on one and on two, I have decided that I will use an 8 count beat (1,2,3...7,8, 1,2...) and dance on the 12!! :p :p

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Ummm, wouldn't you have to then change you screen name accordingly? :uplaugh:

6. pix

pix New Member

Thanks guys. I think I may take a class "on 2" soon in Princeton. Hopefully then I'll be able to sit down and map out the difference between "on 1" and "on 2".

For now it seems "on 1" means for the basic you go back-side(or middle)-together forward-side(or middle)-together. If you look at where your feet are, you could imagine you're only stepping in three positions: forward, middle, and back.

I think "on 2" has four such positions: forward, more forward, back, and more back.

Agree/disagree?

7. pianoman

pianoman New Member

why do some regions eat rice and some regions eat potato?

I think it's just a matter culture... and once you get to a critical mass (like QWERTY keyboards, which have been PROVEN... in fact were designed to be inefficient) then that's just the way it stays

8. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

aha!

It must be a governmental conspriacy to divide us all!!! If we dont argue over rice or potatos, or on1 or on2, perhaps the government will fall apart.....hmm..... :twisted:

9. jon

jon Member

Climate.

But are you asking about potaytos, or potahtos?

10. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Re: Why do some regions do "on 1" vs "on2&amp

This is how I see it. I hardly see any On2 dancing in Glasgow, because there are no On2 teachers (the ones who can dance On2 have learned it somewhere else), but in Edinburgh, where two teachers teach On2 classes, we are seeing a slow but steady increase in the number On2 dancers.

For the step timing difference, see the diagrams on this page:
    http://www.dancefreak.com/steps.htm
    There are different ways of dancing On2, and the On2 timing danced in the UK and other European countries is the one listed here as "Mambo Tipico (aka NY style, Eddie Torres) Two".

11. pix

pix New Member

Great! This is what I wanted to put together -- diagrams and discussion. I think the "Mambo Tipico Two" is the "on 2" step I'm going to learn next. I'll print this out to take a closer look at it.

Gotta love the website's name too. Merci.

Btw, it makes sense that certain areas dance in certain ways b/c of the teachers they have.

12. azzey

azzey Member

So you're saying Edinburgh has fallen to the dark side and we're all doomed to incessant mambo next time I go to the Merlin? LOL.

Actually I danced ET On 2 with Marianna at Favela (Glasgow) on Friday and she was absolutely glowing as pretty much everyone else (including me) was dancing Cuban that night.

13. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

don`t it have to do with the culture (countries of origin, etc) in the local area.

Nevertheless, it still tickles me that most NYers dance on 1. However, each area has dominant cultures that influence style ( and timing selection)

14. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Marianna was one of the "ones who can dance On2 in Glasgow who learned it somewhere else" I had in mind. You also fall into that category, right?

For incessant mambo you need to go to Salsa Lounge (which I think should be called Mambo Lounge :lol:). The music at the Merlin is as diverse as ever -- just the way I like it :wink:. I am seeing more on2 dancing there recently though.

15. Sabor

Sabor New Member

'why some regions are on1 and some on2'..?

well, there's also on3 and theres also following a certain music instrument regardless of which beat it falls on etc..

diversity..difference.. interaction thats what makes things interesting and cause growth and new stuff evolving etc.. the other possibility of this equation is soo boring to even contemplate..

that said.. dont worry about which beat.. they'all come your way in time naturally so long as u remain open minded.. go for flavor first .. thats what its about .. soul flavor .. salsa suave.. salsa caliente.. salsa y corazon!