Tango Argentino > Why do you dance tango?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by revolution, Dec 12, 2008.

1. revolution

revolution New Member

Following my first tango lesson I was dancing in one spot on the street waiting for the bus. :). I noticed someone looking over, I smiled to myself. What got me hooked to tango was the connection experienced between partners. Been tango dancing for about 8 months now, still learning. But I find myself asking is this a good reason to dance tango. Or if there is an alternative motive to my dancing. Why do you guys dance tango? And is it enough, acceptable to continue one dancing tango because primarily one enjoys the connection with a woman? It sort of fills a need for me, the connection (intimacy) and expression of feelings, by the use of something other then words. But is that why Tango was started to begin with, to feel the presence of a woman? What are your reasons for dancing?

cheers,

2. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

You can ask this kind of question for every dance. Every dance has that something which make s you dance even more.

I just love to dance, and every dance for me is special.

3. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Two different questions.

AT wasnt "started" by some scientists in a lab : it arose out of other musical forms and dance. Of course in Argentina it had another function : it allowed men to meet their mistresses in a social setting without suspicions being raised.

As for personal reasons, well, you'll get a different reason from everyone. I love it for its sense of connection, its intimacy, its improvised nature, even the fact that it's not something you can "systemize" or "computerize" (like so many things are these days).

Of course it's acceptable to dance it because you enjoy connecting to women. Hell, women enjoy it because they have the chance to connect to men. Just remember, though, to always act like a gentleman ... :cool:

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Tried it as a way to kill time. It clicked. It makes me happy.

5. revolution

revolution New Member

Hi Captain Jep, you know at first the intimacy actually freaked me out. Even now with an experienced follower I sometimes feel engulfed by the intensity of female energy. But all I need to do is to start enjoying it, and everything will be great.

It is just that current society definitely does not seem to be at the same level where the tango female/male interaction is. I was just starting to feel awkward for liking tango so much for its deep connection, but I guess its normal. Another thing I learned the hard way is that what happens in tango stays on the dance floor and exists for the duration of the dance.

6. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

:) Yes exactly...

But that's not to say you cant flirt a little between dances!

7. revolution

revolution New Member

haha... yeah flirty comments are always fun.. I recall growling to a comment a girl made while we danced, she took it very positively and giggled. Off course safe gentlemanly like stuff. :). Only thing I am working on right now is refining the process of going into the tango state, and smoothly coming out of it. It's very intense at times, with one dance being able to leave you with a smile on your face for a week. Just hard to let go sometimes. I am still a tango baby though, and I like this learning process, get to learn lots about myself.

8. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Don't care about the current society. In AT, you dance for yourself, and most especially, for your partner. This level of discipline takes a while to understand and grasp. So be patient, and don't worry about it. It will become second nature when you gain more experience.

This feeling is that magic that attracts us all to AT. You also have to inculcate in your mind that, when the Tanda is over... it's over!

9. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

For me it's more despite the woman than because of. Having started I did not particularly liked it but thought that if I gave up then the money already spent in classes would be wasted. The incentive was the discovery of BsAS, the learning of spanish language and the possibility of approaching famous dancers.

10. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

This is the best reply. One can find the same feelings in BR if one is truly dancing. I love AT mostly b/c I believe that it teaches one all but one of the fundamentals for all/most other dances.

11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Escapism; you cant lie when your dancing; so it cuts through the unsaid; connection in the dance; maybe because its a challenge; because its passionate, demanding and once in a while it can be fun.

12. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Since I started with TA I´m doing tango movements waiting for the bus or underground ...

13. revolution

revolution New Member

I also enjoy the expression of emotions. But is there such a thing as too much emotions, or being to open? Because it is hard sometimes to let go.

14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yes there is...b/c not every person you are dancing with is comfortable with whatever degree of passion you are experiencing...and it is a courtesy to be mindful of that

15. happyshoes

happyshoes New Member

I love every aspect of this dance. The music, the connection, the flow, how it makes me a better follow, but above all how it always makes me feel one with the universe. I am normally a very detached person, but everytime I dance AT, I somehow get expanded and feel I contain everything around me. To me it is a form of moving meditation.

Angel, could you tell us what these fundamentals are and what AT doesn't teach?

16. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Yeah, and at the end of the day, we're all a bunch of masochists :)

17. Angel HI

Rushing at the moment, and will expound if you like (actually there is another thread about this somehwere). But, it's biggest fundamental is natural movement. The one that it doesn't teach is rise/lower.

18. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

19. larrynla

larrynla Member

the ultimate dance

I came to tango after playing around with a couple of dozen dances, including solo performance dancing such as jazz dance, and obsessing in three different areas (swing, ballroom, and latin).

Thirty years of this, then one day at a dance studio I saw an Argentine tango class and became interested enough to sign up for a class. It quickly became obvious - everything I loved about all the other dances was there in tango. For me it was, and after twenty years of tango dancing remains, the ultimate social dance.

Larry de Los Angeles

20. Angel HI