General Dance Discussion > Why do you like to dance?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Shiva diva, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Shiva diva

Shiva diva New Member

Why do you guys like to dance. I like to because it makes me feel good about myself and when I am upset .......... or angry, it makes me feel a whole lot better. I also enjoy it so much it's scary. But it's always nice to know that there is something out there which you FEEL you can do well and know that it is appreciated by others ......................... and know that I can talk about it to other people!!!!!!!

2. Angelo

Angelo Member

It keeps me off the streets and out of trouble with the cops. :wink:

3. PunkDancer

PunkDancer New Member

It makes me feel like I'm doing something great. Something that I can go far in. It's something that I know I'm not wasting my time on. It's the one thing I'm good at. :banana:

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Knowing your story PunkDancer - thanks for sharing - I agree with you! :cheers:

I think there is a thread like this or very similar, but I cannot find it, so...

I dance because it allows me to creatively express myself. I dance because it is another wonderful way of putting a smile on peoples faces. I dance, because what else is there to do? What else combines passion and laughs, tears and joy? Love? Oh! :idea: I dance because I'm in love with her.

5. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Dancing allows me to dissovle into a magical place where nothing matters but you, a partner and the music.
    There are no world issues, no fears or worries about family,work, finances........
    Its a place to be completely free and void of any emotion but the sheer joy of movng every part of you to the music.

Even if it only lasts 3 minutes!

6. Danoo

Danoo New Member

i like to dance because it free's my mind of everything, its fun, and its a social thing

7. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Exact sme for me Shy Dancer!! :D

Besides, it's great exercise, great fun, great social interaction, healthy, creative, a great stress reliever and a heck of a lot prettier than going to the gym! :wink:

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I like it. I like it. :banana: :bouncy: :friend: :together: :bouncy:

Figure this one out!

9. Shiva diva

Shiva diva New Member

is it just me or isn't dancing like the best thing in the world. there's nothing that can beat it, because it is so amazing.

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

For a few minutes, dance lets me interpret what my ears are hearing . . . the same when I play guitar - it lets me play a particular song the way I interpret that song should be played!

11. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I am still very much a beginner and have not achieved satori (the "nirvana" of Zen Buddhism) as the rest of you, although I do catch occasional glimpses of it. I still go through long and too-frequent periods where it just feels like nothing is working. And I will never experience that special dance with that special someone.

But even though dance has not become "the best thing in the world" for me (I've already had and lost the two best things), it has still become an important part of my life, such that I have dance-related activity lined up for six out of the seven days of the week (the one day "off" is only because I have an assembly programming class scheduled for that evening).

I just started four years ago after 48 years as a confirmed total non-dancer (ie, earlier attempts to teach me confirmed that I was totally incapable of learning -- now in all my classes many of my partners keep telling me that I'm one of the few who can lead and who knows what he's doing). So dancing is a part of me that has been buried so long and deep as to be deemed nonexistent (my wife still doesn't believe it exists) and now it is something that I want to discover and allow to develop as much as it can. And there is a joy in encouraging that kind of growth.

I have always loved music, but dancing has now attuned my ears to hear and listen for things in the music that I hadn't really noticed before or considered important.

Because learning to dance is so different from everything else that I do and requires different skills, going to class or to a dance can take my mind completely off of all my woes and worries as I concentrate on the task at hand. Combined with it being a fun activity, I believe that dance has played a crucial role in keep the events and situations of the past few years from crushing me completely and I hope that it continues to do so through the worse that is yet to come.

And the positive social interaction with women (which is totally lacking and worse in my personal life) has also helped immensely.

Even though it seems like a long ways ahead of me, I do look forward to reaching the point of dancing for the joy of it, rather than mostly for how it helps me.

------------------------------------------
    From Dizzy's Desiderata:
    20. You are a child of the rhythm no less than the planets and the stars; stay within the pocket.
    23. With all the hamstring pulls, shin splints and occasional bruises, the dance is still beautiful.
    24. Smile.
    25. Strive to hear the one.