Swing Discussion Boards > Why Do You Like To West Coast Swing???

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I just did a quickie search and saw that we've touched all around WCS - arms, music, connection, 10 steps to better WCS, but we've never said why we like to WCS.

For me . . . it's all about expression. Expression of dance through the music being played that can be done with a partner OR by myself!

Why do you WCS?

2. jon

jon Member

In the past I would have said, because I like the music :-(. These days it's because I still want to swing dance, and in the increasingly vain hope of stumbling into an event without so much pop music.

The Lindy dance community is too young for someone my age to really fit into, although I very much like much of their music and some of the directions Lindy has been evolving, and most of their events are too far away (San Francisco).

3. dmacbean

dmacbean New Member

west coast, reason

:D
    Of all the dances I've learned over many years, west coast is the most expressive I've encountered, with a partner. It goes with the top 40 tunes of the day, past groovy, mellow sounds etc. So much to choose from.
    It has many interpretations and expressions, one can never stop expanding the limits.
    This is another way that a skill can be heightened to an art.

doug

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi dmacbean! Welcome. :D

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Ok, as I said I would in an earlier thread I'm giving WCS that "2nd effort".

Now, I've only been to two classes - there's a newer instructor now; I didn't like the previous one and I will attend as regularly as I can. Wednesday is WCS night at the studio.

I must say that I really enjoyed this class; the instructor made things easy and for once I was in a class that was not being taught by someone who demanded absolute perfection down to the smallest detail-something d nice commented on earlier.

Let er' swing baby! 8) :mrgreen:

Oh, and welcome aboard dmacbean. :D

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Just remember that "perfection" shouldn't exist in dancing . . . as we "are humans," and as such, we do make mistakes.

Forget about being perfect and your WCS dancing will skyrocket . . . however, give it time to develop . . . it is a strict dance!

7. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

I love WCS because I love R&B and the two just go well together. :)

8. d nice

d nice New Member

I like it because of the freedom allowed in it.

I was explaining to Vince that Lindy Hop is like a Haiku, has some very specific elements that must be present in the artistic expression, but West Coast is more like free-verse, far fewer restrictions in its street form.

9. Spitfire

Couldn't agree more Vince; no perfection just excellence which for me means enjoyment. :wink:

10. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

i luv the music variety-u can dance too the blues-funk-hip hop-some forms off jazz-and some disco, each of these brings a different expression and when you feel good in the basic timing you can play with this dance sooooooooooooooooooooo much, i luv too see the ladies get sassy-sexy- playful-funky etc.

11. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

Its a fun slinky little dance that. Plus with it and hustle you can dance to a lot of the pop music played at most clubs. (at least here)

12. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

same in phila and new jersey-dragon 8)

13. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Me

No I don't like the West Coast Swing. I've had lessons and I simply don't like it. Perhaps it is because I really don't like the music. ;) I prefer East Coast.

14. Hank

Hank Member

WCS has a flirtatious and playful feel that comes from the elastic nature of leverage and compression (Yes, I want you -- No, I don't). I enjoy wcs much more when the music is slow and bluesy than fast and funky because it fits the undulating, slinky, in-and-out characteristic of the dance.

15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I'm more in line with Hank's view... I really like slower, sultry, slinky WCS. "New" funky style just doesn't do anything for me.

For me the slinkiness/sultriness of WCS apeals to the same sensuality I love in salsa (where I also prefer slow-medium vs. fast tempi).

16. virginiadancegirl

virginiadancegirl New Member

this may sound redundant, but I love dancing for the attention I get (I'm really kinda reserved when not on the dance floor)...amd in WCS, I just get sexy, and feisty, and fun!! It really gives me a chance to do some stuff I'd never do any other way...(like flirting, without my husband getting mad!!lol)

17. Spitfire

Just what I'm noticing from learning. 8)

18. alfborge

alfborge New Member

This thread made me want to learn WCS. Too bad they don't teach it here in Norway. I did take a course with Mr. Buddy Schwimmer about 2 years ago, but I've mostly forgot what he was teaching there. (Or rather I've translated it to Lindy and use it there instead :)

19. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Re: Me

I agree regarding the music. I did about a half-year of WCS lessons, during which time I finally started to hear the beat and get the rhythm from the music (a very major break-through for me). But it's the ECS/Lindy music that makes it impossible for me to sit still.

However, it's almost impossible to find swing music on the radio and in venues here (in Orange County, CA -- though the venues are starting to grow again), whereas WCS-friendly music is more abundant. I have started back with WCS and even started learning Hustle and Nightclub Two-Step (even though I feel fortunate to have missed Disco the first time around), just so I can get more dancing in. There's just a wider range of music that you can dance WCS to than Lindy -- the other night we did WCS to Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" [guessing the title] and it worked out very well; I cannot even begin to figure out how to do Lindy to the same song.

Besides, I have this foolish notion of learning WCS moves and adapting them to Lindy. Because my dancing passion is still for Lindy.

20. Spitfire

The thing that I initially did not like about WCS is now what I do appreciate about it and that is the emphasis on the slot and keeping the arms and elbows in - at least as much as is possible. What I appreciate about it is that it makes for minimum use of space and this makes a lot of sense on a crowded dance floor.