Swing Discussion Boards > Why Do You Like To West Coast Swing???

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

...Because it's just too cool for words.

It's a literally laid-back dance. Love that sense of power, like a gigantic Lincoln Continental just purring in place or moving slow, because it doesn't really have to move at all. Like a heavyweight boxer strolling casually through the park. Like the old Basie orchestra playing slow and right on the beat--because it's actually cooler to do that than syncopate. Like a great cigar on a fine summer night. Like making love, leisurely, with the windows open, on a warm, lazy afternoon.

And any dance you can do with a drink in your hand is a great dance to me! :wink:

2. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Re: Me

I certainly agree that musically, lindy is very retro while WCS tends to be as close to contemporary as you can get. Certainly there's a wide range of music that opens up once you learn WCS, and you can even attract college age kids to dancing it if you pick the right music and have them notice you're partner dancing while doing hip grinding.

When you find out how to do hip grinds in Lindy, please send me a note. :)

3. swinginstyle

swinginstyle New Member

I enjoy West Coast because it fits contemporary music, it's elegant, men are men, and women are women. To me, lindy seems to be like we're kids again. West Coast seems to be "we're adults". I don't know how else to explain it. This was the first dance where I learned how to truly express myself on the dance floor. It's awesome.

4. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Actually, my 52-year-old hip grinds quite well on its own even just when I walk; I'm not sure where the shavings are going, though.

Though in re: turning a non-partner dance into a partner dance, as soon as my wife taught me the basic side-touch-side-touch rock dance step (kind of a narrower-stance Tacky Annie without the & before the 8), I started throwing in some ECS-style moves. Very early on in our various beginner classes I noticed that different dances tended to have very similar moves, so I've naturally kept my eye open for how a new move could be made to work in other dances as well.

I have also found that it's a narrower selection of music and of tempos that you can Lindy to, which is one reason why I'm returning to WCS plus a few others (long involved story that I won't bore you with unless you're interested; http://members.aol.com/dwise1/dance/history.html ). I have also found that WCS is applicable to a very wide selection of music; as I already noted elsewhere, we danced it to Queen's "Another one Bites the Dust" and it work great! Plus, when my hip has ground down far enough I'll need to start taking it easier.

5. Bob

Bob New Member

heh!

When your hip grinds far enough, maybe you will have an organ grinder (eek!).

6. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Yes, I tend to agree with that. If enough teenagers decide that WCS is as cool as lindy/ECS (cf my response for "learning to dance for Prom"), then maybe...

Heck, I challenged the kids in my group to dance WCS to "In Da Club" by 50 Cent. Instrumental version. My dance colleague likes WCS to "Sexy M.F." by Prince. Bet you won't hear those at a social ballroom dance.

7. d nice

d nice New Member

Narrow tempo range? Hmmm... I'm not sure I'd call a range of 200 bpm narrow. I can't think of any other dance that has as wide a range, as matter of fact.

Now the narrow genre I'd agree with, the music must actually swing and be rhythmically driven for it to work for Lindy Hop, but since all Swing, a significant amount of Jazz and Blues, a good section of early Rhythm and Blues, and narrow swatches of RnR, Soul, and Hip Hop fit, I think it is wide enough to enjoy just about anywhere.

8. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

i love w/c sooooooooooooooooooo much ,you can play with this dance more than any other (in my opinion) the ladies can be sexy-fun-in your face- etc,and the music is so versatile- hip hop- blues-disco(some forms) jazz-some forms) you can bring your own flavor to it , and it does not have all the drama and contraversy as other dances like- on 1 or 2 in salsa(i love salsa) its not as strict as ny style hustle -which i do (you can break into freedom in hustle too if the person is not into the strict and 1 thing.anyway its really a great dance and i think its a ladys choice dance overall once they really feel it and can play :)

9. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I threw that reference to tempo in at the last moment, thinking more of the lower end, in that I've found WCS to still work well in slower songs, whereas in Lindy/ECS it felt like we were having to push it -- but then after I've gain more experience I might not think so.

10. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

In WCS, we guys were taught that our job is to provide our partner with opportunity to play and to do her syncopations. And that when she looks good, we get half the credit (basically for just standing there).

11. jon

jon Member

WCS has plenty of issues pursued with as much religious fervor as on1 vs. on2. "Funky" vs. traditional music; age limits in competitions; coaster steps vs. anchors (OK, the coaster-step supporters have been pretty well exterminated by now). And the ever-popular dance club politics.

Look into the Usenet rec.arts.dance newsgroup sometime, it's pretty much down to nothing but complaints about how competitions are run and judged mixed with internecine dance club warfare between various LA area dancers.

12. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

thats true dwise1 with the guy thing but we can play also/ i like the 50/50 thing sometimes- i play you play 8)

13. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

hello jon, i dont dance out your way-but you taught me something i was not aware of-but out here-phila-new jersey-baltimore/dc and ny-this is (not going on at all) so im coming from that place,but thanks for the down low-tsk- tsk to those folks out there in the drama.ps im not saying there are no snobs in w/c out here,there are some.

14. jon

jon Member

I play you play they play = Fourplay?

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Not to mention Country & Western and many Reggae songs . . .

16. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Actually, I've seen a couple examples of three-play recently (ie, one lead and two follows), but that was Lindy. And in open position.

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Although I understand what you are saying here, I tend to disagree. What if she doesn't play? Or syncopate? What if she doesn't look good? Do you still want half the credit?

I'm not trying to blow you off here. You are correct, but I wanted to say it somewhat differently!

My job is get her to move in the direction I want her to go in, on or off the slot, and the rest is up to her . . . she can do anything she wants to do in between - play, syncopate, scratch her hairy chest, or even just stand there - as long as somewhere, when she is done, she gives me an anchor so we can do it again.

For instance, if I start back on ct1 and she follows, and on ct2, I step off the slot to my left and bring her towards my right side and lift my left arm up and her right arm comes up . . . she should immediately know this is a right-side-pass . . . and she should know what to do with the rest of the move. If she plays, or syncopates, or hi-jacks me, that is fine . . as long as she eventually gets back to an anchor whether it is ct6 or ct36.

And half the credit??? Nah, I play too - ALL THE TIME - that is what makes WCS! We make each other look good. We compliment each other. She works at playing with me, and I work at playing with her. The can be full of mistakes . . . who cares? That's the fun of it . . . it is just a dance. Make it fun, and it will be a memorable dance for her. And as long as you get the credit . . . from her . . . then you HAVE "done your job."

18. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Eh... go to my photogallery website. The most popular picture is Peter leading Jam and Laura in 3-way WCS. I have video, but you'll just have to wait until I get my own server. :)

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yep . . . three-ways are fun . . . two girls, one guy - leading them both is challenging - or two guys and one girl -with the two guys passing the girl back and forth and catching her w/o losing a step or beat!!! Great in Hustle too!

20. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

You're right. Guess I'm just too whipped (WCS pun being the intent here).

Actually, I'm just not up to that level yet in WCS. I had done several intermediate classes about 2 years ago, but that was while (and where) I was learning rhythm and how to hear and follow the music. Then I've spent most of the past 1.25 years concentrating on Lindy and have started returning to WCS part-time in the past couple months. I only remember the basics and a few intermediate moves (though I do them fairly well -- I'm still having difficulties leading the Lindy swingouts, but I still have the WCS whips nailed even after a 1.25 year absense). So I just don't know enough yet to know how to play and I cannot schedule any intermediate WCS classes until mid-May when my college night class ends.

Besides, I'm still enough of a beginner that one of my main concerns is to not screw her up with my mistakes. OK, so I guess that does mean that I am too whipped.