Salsa > Why do YOU salsa dance?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by give_me_salsa, Jan 2, 2005.

1. give_me_salsa

give_me_salsa New Member

I just found out that our only salsa club in the city is closing. Everyone is feeling depressed. At the same time, I am starting to question what is it beyond the music that is so attractive to me about dancing in an elegant club each weekend. There's always dance classes, there's always practices. Yet nothing can replace being able to go to a club.

Speaking from a woman's perspective, I think to a lot of women it's the feeling of feeling feminine, beautiful and sexy, and being instantly admired for it by the opposite sex. On the dance floor in a club, as soon as an elegantly dressed woman moves to the music she draws attention to herself for her feminine qualities. It seems innocent enough - she only dances. Or is it "only" dancing? Isn't it also a form of seduction? Temptation? And don't women KNOW this and enjoy salsa partly BECAUSE of this?

So the question is, what is the pull for you to go out to a club, beyond the love of the music?

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I salsa dance as I love that feeling I get when connected and enjoying the trinity of dance.

3. shakti

shakti New Member

I dance for many reasons on different levels: Fun, social, excercise, skill, and connection. Through dancing with different people I enjoy relating to dance partners on these different levels. It takes a unique person for me to experience the ecstatic connection :) that dancing can bring. I love dancing at all levels.[/code][/quote]

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

[/quote]

Hmmm....You love connection...I do too..I wonder if we have danced....hmmm...

5. Sabor

Sabor New Member

hmm.. shouldn't the title be:

"Why do YOU NOT salsa dance?"

:mrgreen:

6. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

I´m with Sabor on this one. 8)

7. MapleLeaf Salsero

Give_me_salsa & shakti, wellcome to the DFs!!

Glad to know two more "unsuspectioning" people have been infected by the salsa virus. 8) Ah, pretty soon we´ll take over the world.

8. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Wow, give_me_salsa, what a coincidence! Our only Salsa club in town is closing down as well! Maybe we are from the same town?! That would be nice! :)

9. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Welcome to DF Shakti! :)

10. shakti

shakti New Member

Thanks for the reception

I got hooked into salsa about 2 months ago, though I had been thinking about it for years. It is so sexy at times erotic. And to be able to move with a parter as one is amazing.

Fortunately, an attractive young man suggested I go to df because he said this is where he really learned to dance. He has certainly facilitated wonderful introductions to salsa.

I tend to align with the folks who enjoy salsa for the connection and the joy of self expression. To be with someone on the dance floor who is patient as you are learning new skills and who makes you feel comfortable so that you can let go gradually is freeing. With that comes the flow and all the other benefits of "the dance."

11. Julili

Julili New Member

Hello:) I always try to find activities to make my life interesting:) It is great, that I found salsa. I like different types of dance, but when some years ago I saw salsa and then tried to dance salsa, I understood that this dance is totally for me :D Now we have more possibilities to dance salsa and 22 January is a super date for us, the first salsa club in Minsk (Belarus) will be opened!!!

By the way, if you want to come to this super salsa party, just say :)

12. MapleLeaf Salsero

Re: Thanks for the reception

I think I speak on behalf of all the DF members when I say: :D :D

13. MapleLeaf Salsero

I´d love to go! Oh wait, Minsk is kinda far away... Oh well...

Wellcome Julili!

14. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Who, who? Do we know him??? :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Julili

Julili New Member

Not so far from Portugal:) We are in Europe :wink:

16. MapleLeaf Salsero

Yeah I know, but it´s in Eastern Europe and Portugal is on the western most corner of Europe...

What style of salsa do you dance in Minsk? LA, Cuban, NY on 2 or Columbian?

17. Julili

Julili New Member

Now we dance LA and Cuban, hope to learn more :)

18. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

It has only been very recently that I have had the pleasure to experience the "connection" chemistry in my salsa dancing....Perhaps I am no longer worried about the basics and stuff that I can tune into the feeling of the dance more, when its there.....So before I felt connections with partners (when it does happen), I would still get that rush of endorphines,or whatever the brain naturally releases, after dancing and that was enough to keep me going....Now, when I dance, I still feel great afterwards, but when that connection happens...wow...totally worth the price of learning to dance...especially in bachata....of course, you have to find that right partner who connects with you....and now when I hear a bachata I have to find certain partners to make it really worth it, and it can be frustrating if no one is available...or someone is available to dance but there is no chemistry....it can still be fun...but that chemistry in dancing bachata..and salsa too, is amazing when it happens....its that hole in one in golf type thing....although I would rather dance salsa than golf anyday... :wink:

19. MapleLeaf Salsero

Just as I suspected. In Europe it´s mostly LA & Cuban. I guess if you know both styles you can practically dance anywhere. Unfortunately, I only know LA... :cry:

20. Julili

Julili New Member

salsa is great for relaxing, having fun and just communication:) you can find in salsa whatever you want :)