Salsa > Why do YOU salsa dance?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by give_me_salsa, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Julili

Julili New Member

don't cry :D you must say: fortunately I can dance SALSA!!! because there are not so many people, especially here, who can say that :wink:

2. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

:cry: :cry: :cry: :wink: :wink:

3. new-ish

new-ish New Member

I, er, um, stammer, sputter, poof, fooey, dance salsa because it's um, er, um, FUN!!!

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

There, there... [pat, pat on back gently...] :)

5. SalsaGirl

SalsaGirl New Member

I read a lot of responses that say "because it's fun" or because of a "dance connection". Why do you find salsa fun? And if you dance because of a connection, why don't other partner dances, be it swing, waltz, whatever, also have this connection? What's so special and unique about salsa?

Just curious what others think.

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Different music speaks to different people so I may fidn it easier to get conection in salsa then say waltz. One thing abou the latin dances is that you get to wiggle your entire body. I find that this happens less say in tango (American. International, or Argentine), waltz or foxtrot.

7. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

Julili, I´ve just noticed that I wellcomed you to DF when in fact you registered almost a month before me. :oops: I just assumed that since you had few posts, you were recent here. And you didn´t say a word... :shock:

8. tj

tj New Member

I'll chime in that I enjoy how popular salsa is. You can go to any major city and there's a scene alive and well. And it's great when you go to a foreign country where you can't communicate at all due to language difficulties, and yet you still have connection...

9. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

I dance to salsa because it makes me feel alive!! :D

10. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Yes, exactly, JS! Alive is the word!

11. SalsaAmore

SalsaAmore New Member

Feeling alive is one of the reasons to dance Salsa for me too. Also, it's the rush and the feeling from the natural high. Technically, the endorphins that are released and kick in from the awesome work out to the human touch and connection makes it all feel amazing. I'm definitely hooked. But the question is also why Salsa and not any other forms of partner dancing? The music, the style, the energy, the sensuality all speak to me like no other dance. Also, it's cheaper than when I use to train or take dance lessons or classes in the classical forms (ballet, jazz, modern) 3x a day. And there were rehearsals every now and then for performances or shows. That was how I use to get my fix. Now with Salsa, free passes or $10 can get me 3 to 4 hours of dancing every night of the week. Also, all the great looking nice guys I meet and make friends with are an added plus.

12. tchaguito

tchaguito New Member

Congratulations, I'm glad the salsa bug coming to Belarus in force! I haven't been to Belarus yet (the closest I've been to Belarus was Lithuania).

Tiago

13. tchaguito

tchaguito New Member

Going to a club for me now is like oxygen, I need it to live properly!
    I go to the club for all sorts of reasons: to perfect and fine tune all that stuff I learn in classes, to socialize with my salsa mates, to have lots of fun and get rid of all the stress that comes with the professional life.
    Salsa has become for me a way of life, so going to a club is pretty much a ritual you are eager to fulfill week after week. I need to go to the club to spiritually renew myself and to get my regular boost of enjoyment. When I renew this ritual, I keep on being able to carry on in my everyday life a unique attitude and way of being, which helps me be a much better human being than if I didn't dance at all.

Tiago

14. tchaguito

tchaguito New Member

Where did you go dancing before there was a club in Minsk?

15. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

Salsa dancing

This thread made me think of these immortal words:

You can dance if you want you....
    but...
    you can leave your friends behind...
    because.....
    if they dont dace...
    and if they dont dance...
    well....
    they are no friends of mine.....

-MWH

Latin dances give more possible moments for sensuality...perhaps sexuality than other dances that I know.....There is no sensuality in east coast swing...a lot of fun and bopping around....but no sensuality....Perhaps a cheap thrill (latin dances), but there nonetheless.... :wink: The connection can be more than just a lead follower connection...Argentine tango to me can have an even stronger connection than salsa...but its an entirely different dance...but that connection made in argentine tango is like there is you, your partner, and no one else in the universe...to me of course...but I would rather salsa dance....

16. Julili

Julili New Member

There are two salsa schools in Minsk now and there are also salsa parties on Saturdays:) This future club will be a great possibility for us to dance salsa together and have fun :D I saw that in other countries there are a huge number of salsa clubs and I am really happy that Belarus is on the right salsa way now :D :D :D

17. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Living in 21st century on the western hemisphere there is an absolute need for a physical reality to be established before a given "fact" is ruled so, yet our reasoning ethos have been founded upon a conscious, subconscious and unconscious Judeo-Christian Religious civic belief system (duality, only one…, etc) that lack the necessary tools to reach such fact. For it isn’t what we think, or how we think, but rather what controls how and why we think the way we think.

Salsa music is built upon a spiritual belief system, whether intended or not, it was. Attempting to reach that which we don’t understand will eventually make light of the side of salsa that is absent on some other forms of music.

True that soul music is what a person deems it to be, yet our conscious state of being doesn’t account for the factors that affect the unconscious, in turn the subconscious causing inexplicable reactions. Not all music triggers, on its own without prior knowledge in any level of "consciousness", a state of “ecstasy”, where as Guaguanco, Yambu, Columbia, Son, Son Montuno, Palo, Salsa, etc, all do. (Note: we must be ready to feel before we do so, ready at an unconscious state rather than conscious)

If ever involved in the relgio-spiritual side of salsa, and the use of percussion in spirituality we’ll come about an explanation of why salsa has managed to create an inexplicable addiction.

An addiction with no scientific proof other than a chemical reaction, a chemical reaction coming out of oblivion as matter is used to explain the meta-physical attraction and reaction. Not believing doesn’t deem illusion.

All dances do have that connection to the partner, for connection is really created by the dancers(conscious as well as unconscious), all salsa has that other dances might not is the unconscious state of connection that is stirred by the spiritual triggers within the music.

The music is what differs rather than the dance, the dance becomes the conscious expression of such an unconsious state of feeling.

18. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Hot Diggity! Boriken is back!!

[​IMG]

Welcome back, Muchacho! :D

19. africana

africana New Member

EXACTLY! this is one of the issues that I point to when I try reconcile my christian/westernized background with the traditions and religious rituals of my ancestors, to understand my natural affinity and gravitation toward salsa; my inability to supress the urge for this dance. There is always an active and ongoing mental struggle to divorce my passion for this hynotising music from the traditional african religions from which its rhythms are derived. these belief systems are at odds with strict christianity, but in the end I believe this music is a beautiful gift to enjoy.

It's a fire in my bones, it has captured my soul (to the point that I actually feel like a "user" sometimes). I cannot help it. that is why I dance

20. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Hi Africana! Welcome to Dance Forums. :D