Salsa > Why do YOU salsa dance?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by give_me_salsa, Jan 2, 2005.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Me? For the women.

For two specific women, actually. My very first dance classes were in salsa so that I could dance with my wife. We didn't get very far, though. Now five years later, we're divorcing (not because of salsa).

After a four-year absense, I started again for a few months last summer, just to meet the challenge and broaden my experience. Then the divorce hit and I had to quit again.

Now I'm back at it for my dance buddy, who is a salsera who's also learning swing (which is actually my favorite dance). She's trying to get her swing up to speed and I'm trying to get my salsa up to par for her.

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

A buddy? Interessting...

3. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

It should be even more interesting tonight. I did pilates again a couple days ago after missing the previous two weeks (work priorities) and am feeling a bit sore from it. Then from the same instructor I just finished an hour of power yoga (my second session; the first time I did it was a few weeks ago and I was sore for a few days afterwards -- in ECS class I discovered how much we use our hamstrings in the kicks).

Well, my "dance buddy" has been back east and away from dancing for a week, so she's built up quite a dance-deficiency. Like me, she had turned to dancing to recover from divorce (though she's about four years ahead of me in that regard) and she's come to depend on it, so when she doesn't get to dance she really feels that lack. Fortunately, she's been out the past two nights getting most of her salsa requirements satisfied and tonight is WCS and perhaps also some ECS, both of which I should be able to survive. But if we go to the salsa venue, then I'll be in trouble. Even though she prefers to salsa with her other friends who are up to her level, she does usually pull me out for a cha-cha or merengue (uff da!). I just hope I can drag myself out of bed tomorrow morning.

BTW, I had coined the term "dance buddy", but I don't know if it's already in use (and if so, then hopefully not with a different meaning). Similar to the crude term, "f__k buddy", used in "Vanilla Skies", I intend "dance buddy" to mean somebody you go on regular social dancing dates with but with whom there's no romantic involvement.

Has the term already been coined and does it have the same meaning or a different one?

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Dance buddy makes sense to me. I did not think anything but what you intended. :cheers: Just seeing if there was anything more. A little poking...a little nudging... :wink: :)

5. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Know what you mean (à la Eric Idle). No, there's nothing more. We're friends, mostly through dancing, though also with some commiserating over the mutual experience of divorce. A bit of mild flirtation, hugs and kiss on the cheek in greeting and parting, but that's part of the Latino culture that I think she's picked up through salsa (I certainly picked it up while visiting with family in Mexico City a couple summers ago) and besides she doesn't seem to treat her other male friends and acquaintences much differently.

I don't think that we'd be well suited for a long-term romantic relationship anyways. Besides, I don't think she's quite ready to start looking for romance again and I'm most definitely not ready (9 months post separation, on the brink of whatever nasty legal battles that are in store for my x2b and me), as I view the prospect of dating and becoming emotionally involved again with sheer terror. But with her I can relax and enjoy her company. Whether that's a good thing or not is yet to be seen.

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Good luck. With everything. 8) :friend:

7. tacad

tacad New Member

uff da!? :lol:

What does uff da! mean?

8. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

It's a Norwegian exclamation that we picked up when I was stationed in North Dakota. It kind of means something like "ouch!" or "oh boy!" in the sense of "this ain't gonna be easy, don'cha know?" Or at least in this context it did, because, kind of like the Yiddish "nu", it can express just about anything you want it to all depending on intonation and context. Our biggest disappointment when we saw Fargo was that nobody ever said "Uff da!"

Things like that we just pick up and use without thinking. Like casually speaking Spanish with the people closest to me, who, for the past few decades, have all spoken Spanish. So it was perhaps an interesting slip a couple weeks ago when I told my dance buddy to watch what the instructor was doing: "Mira!" ("Watch")