Salsa > Why Does Merengue Get a Bad Rap?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by pygmalion, Mar 4, 2004.

1. mhgroove

mhgroove New Member

Thanks for the list Salsarhythms! It was me who asked for some old-school merengue. I'm going look for some of these guys CD's next week!

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome to df Phoenix Salsa!! :D I say that it depends. I dance according to how I interpret the music, which sometimes involves dancing merengue half-time for instance. As for the speed of moves, again it depends on my interpretation of the music. If it is techno merengue there probably will be a lot of fast moves etc as compared to some of the better stuff.

3. Vin

Vin New Member

My biggest problem with dancing merengue is that it just tires me out much more than salsa. I can dance salsa all night until I am exhausted but if I dance a few merengues I start getting cramps in my stomach and that is no fun. Also I agree that for Merengue I would prefer to dance it with someone whom I feel passionate about.

4. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

I love merengue, especially when it's on top of a lemon merengue pie.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist the temptation.

5. Sagitta

Hey!! At least we know you are checking the salsa forum threads out. :D Since you already like one type of merengue can we interest you in trying out the kind that you do with a dance partner? :wink: :)

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Can't both kinds be done with a partner? :wink:

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

LOL. Yes, I often share my lemon pies with a partner. Crazy man. :lol:

You know what amazes me? How long this thread has gotten. I thought it was a pretty simple topic, but you folks have given me a whole new perspective. Salsa forum in the house! :D

8. Spicyentice4u

Spicyentice4u New Member

baila =)

Merengue with a bad rap?

Maybe the newer garbage. Personally I love Merengue, it is my favorite dance; seeing how I am a Dominican I was properly taught how to dance it. I am 19 years old, and very much enjoy attending concerts here in Tampa such as Fernandito Villalona(he also happens to be my favorite Latin artist). I might have 2 or 3 friends of mine(who are not dominican) who prefer salsa over merengue. Perhaps my sample population isn't sufficient, but speaking from it, it appears most of my friends prefer the older classy Merengue over salsa or the newer merengue and so do the gorgeous chicas =). Oro Solido is pretty popular around here, but I don't compare them to Fernandito.

By the way salsa-rythm, I would accept your challenge of a Merengue Dancing compitition with you! hehe

9. Sagitta

Welcome to df Spicyentice4u!! Glad to have you with us. :D

How about bachata? I remember a couple discussions on bachata recently and I am interested in what your perspective is on this.

How do you dance bachata?

Bachata! :)

bachatas

10. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

Hey Spicyentice4u...

Where in DR are you from?

I was born in Bonao...so I was wondering...

Hey man, when I'm in Fl, I'll look you up and take you up on the
    challenge... :D

No but seriously...I could not agree with you more with Fernandito...
    I mean come on, I was named after the guy!!

Oro Solido did a lot of new things when they first came out, and with
    its 24K records was able to go in different directions, but they really did
    not get much respect from the Island until after a few years...

Fernandito will always be "El niƱo mimado..."

11. Jack

Jack New Member

Pygmalion, Who teaches Merengue in our area? All you hear is Salsa but I want to get into Merengue later this year. Your thoughts?

12. pygmalion

If I remember correctly, Rhythmic Harmony Productions (Alberto and Selena Hoyas?) have a merengue/bachata half day workshop coming up soon. I'll check on the date and location. Most of the teachers around here don't bother to teach it. I don't think they get it.

When I figure out where I put the flyer, I'll post the info.

Jenn

13. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Jack, if you're still attending the same school, they do offer it every once in a while. (At least twice when I was going there) So ask Mike, they're probably waiting on enough students to offer the class again. They also offer bachata if you're interested :D

14. pygmalion

And your former teacher just gave a merengue shines class social before last. I bet she could be talked into doing it again. It was fun.

15. Jack

Jack New Member

we are going to have a practice party here in april, merengue lessons, then salsa party, Ive been waiting for some merengue!

Yeah Baby!

16. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Way Cool!!! :banana:

17. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

give them all wedgies and tell them they can't use their hands to loosen...

18. pygmalion

You are demented! :lol: :lol:

19. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

my dance instructor (originally from south america) told me that was to dance merengue. the bottom line is that they're laughing so hard they don't pay attention to anything other than the basic beat & certainly aren't overly worried about doing it correctly, etc...

20. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

I have read thru this entire topic with great interest.

I had nothing against merengue when I knew a few basics...now I am learning the more intricate moves its driving me beserk!
    The technique/body movements are like nothing I have ever learnt before, its really tricky! They seem to be a lot different than Salsa and Mambo....are they supposed to be similar?
    It is SO much more than the "easy" 1, 2 step..

It takes me a while to warm up and let it flow..please tell me this goes with time and practice!