Salsa > Why Does Merengue Get a Bad Rap?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by pygmalion, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

It gets better!! I've been away from a month and my second latin night was a lot better. By next week I should know all the rueda moves that I lost, and have my dances a lot smoother. Just like for merengue...a little time...a little more music....soem more dancing...it all comes to you...to me...to all who want it to... :)

2. redhead

redhead New Member

Merengue is hot and fun... with the live band. Have you notuced they take their energy for playing merengue from your dancing?

3. Sagitta

Okay we have a live band next Tuesday, so we'll see how much hotter and steamier teh merengue can get.

4. redhead

redhead New Member

Sagitta.. Do you mean you usually dance without live music? :shock:

5. Sagitta

Yes. Dj music is not live music for me. One of the problems of being in a small place, I guess, but at least it usually is free or really cheap.

6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Where I'm at, it is a true luxury to get to dance to a live band!
    You all are lucky!

7. D-spot

D-spot Member

Common complaint
    'this merengue is going on forever'
    Certainly seems as if the songs last longer than salsa tunes. True or false?
    If the songs were shorter (more could be played of course) then people could take the natural break to swap partners, leave the floor, whatever, allowing for more variety.
    (I only listen to the stuff played in clubs somy experience is limited).
    D-spot
    (seeking enlightment)

8. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:)) sometimes it si so, D-spot... but you can always stop, right?!
    I personally dance very little on merengue, but this is because I'm usually tired when they play merengue... Still, I have my favourite songs and dance on them always...