General Dance Discussion > Why Doesn't Line Dancing Have a Forum Here?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by rbazsz, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Line dancing has become so popular worldwide that I am surprised that there isn't a forum devoted to that topic. Is there a reason why?

I began taking a line dance class last year and got really hooked on it. There are many good things about line dancing so I will list just a few of them:

• It's great exercise.
    • Line dance is very popular worldwide. Do a youtube search for "Wakira" or "Hustle" and you will see what I mean.
    • Many moves cross over to ballroom and freestyle.
    • It's easy to find video tutorials online for the popular dances.
    • Unlike ballroom it's easy to practice by yourself.
    • There is no hassling with partners.
    • Clothes are more casual than ballroom.

2. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Because this is a partner dance forum?

3. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Okay, sure...but I don't really see line dancing fitting in with a ballet/jazz oriented forum site. Line dance is more of a social activity rather than a technical dance. It's fun. I wouldn't mind there being a sub-forum on here somewhere.

4. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Well maybe, but in my opinion that FAQs for this site are somewhat contradictory. For example:

2. The Dance Forums aims to provide quality information about partner dancing of all kinds in a friendly and supportive environment.

3. All dance related topics and perspectives are welcome and we encourage a dynamic environment with debates, news, and personal stories.

However you look at it, line dance is a related topic. If #3 is true, then I believe line dancing is a large and significant enough of a sub topic to deserve it's own section.

5. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Talk to the mods - there's a section for doing that privately.

6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Re: where to put line-dance

Formally you are absolutely right. But located in a forum for jazz-, formation- or hiphop dancing, there would actually be much less cross discussing and informational exchange between the styles.

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well rbazsz, since this is the General Dance Discussion forum, you are free to start your own thread(s) on whatever line dancing topics you like. People will either post or not post, and you will have whatever amount of discussion your threads deserve.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

it can certainly have it's own thread...but, since this is a partner site, it won't be having it's own sub-forum or category(as with ballet and any other related and beneficial form of dance that isn't partner dance)...but feel free to start a thread...the degree of feeback you get will probably reflect that most people here aren't big into it

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I was going to say what Joe and fasc did--start a thread in here (where you're most likely to get people from all the other subforums looking), and see what result you get. That way you'll know how much interest there is.

10. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Hasn't this been covered in the C&W section in the past? Since it's generally associated with C&W music.

11. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Most people have the perception that line dancing is C&W. Perhaps that's a good reason to argue for it's own forum. In the U.S. C&W is definitely the major format for line dancing but it's hardly true thoughout the rest of the world, and even in the U.S. their are pockets of line dance that have nothing to do with C&W.

It could even be argued that there are line dances that come very close to partner dancing.

If any of you doubt how international it has become, do a google video search on these words: wakira line dance

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I agree. Back when DF was kicking off the C&W forum, I did a ton of online research on line-dancing and was surprised to find how popular it is, in various forms, C&W and otherwise, all over the world.

Every so often, this question comes up, rbazsz. Why not a forum for this dance form or the other? Why just partner? wg answered the question. This is a partner dance forum, which is not to say that other dance forms are less than partner dance or being left out, but that DF is focused on a particular genre. Just like with most successful businesses, a focus and a mission were chosen early on. Partner dance is DF's core competency.

ETA: And the other thing implied above is that starting a forum or sub-forum is not as simple as saying. "I want a new forum. Voila!" It takes a lot of work to start conversations, feed topics and eventually attract enough traffic to make a forum worthwhile. It's not nearly as easy as it looks.

Bottom line. nucat was right. If you're really passionate about this, talk to the mods.

13. fascination

why don't you start a thread on it and see how much traffic it generates? and if you know poeple who want to discuss it, send them to that thread...if it takes off then I am sure people will be happy to consider it

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Oh yes, that's true. The Macarena and Electric Slide come to mind here and numerous others I'm sure. But in the past that's where I've seen threads on line dance posted on this forum.

15. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

We recently had one member argue quite successfully that Folk Dancing should be welcome here. (Apparently this site is known for its civility, probably for good reason.)
    I'm quite a line dancer myself. It's what got me started in dancing, and my favorite night is still "line dance night" at the country western place I go to. (We partner dance that night, too.)

Even Argentine Tango has its chacarera.

BTW, I really like that Shakira video, Waka Waka.

Fact is that CW line dancing has embraced dances to many different types of music.

And, our CW section is currently (and pretty much always HAS been) pretty low volume. Of course I'm still "the new guy" around here. LOL

16. fascination

we could also arguably have a zumba thread (speaking of waka waka)...as there are many members who teach it or go to it...:) we would likely only make something it's own sub-forum if there were so many active and varied threads on it that it became unwieldy elsewhere and needed to be gathered

17. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

There's a samba LD done occasionally at socials and a hip-hop thing that I can't recall the name of.

18. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I can think of two:
    Hip Hop
    Cowboy Hip Hop (which is the less challenging of the two).

19. fascination

cupid shuffle,

20. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

There ya go...

Wait, is that the one where the guy calls out "two hops this time", "criss-cross", and "everybody Charlie Brown"?

Well, CS is definitely one HH-like LD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.