General Dance Discussion > Why Doesn't Line Dancing Have a Forum Here?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by rbazsz, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

That would be the one. Got lots of play at the CW place.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

This seems to actually be more popular at the socials here than the dance itself; most people do the line dance to Samba music.

3. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Ok, I Googled it - CS is the one that has lyrics: "To the left, to the left, to the left, the left, the left, to the right, etc; now walk it by yourself..."

I was thinking of the cha cha slide: "Slide to the left; take it back y'all; one hop this time..."

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

to the left to the left is either cupid or waka waka...both have that line...walkin by yourself is cupid

5. fascination

cha cha slide

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Nice avatar, nucat. Is that your demented husky?

7. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

No, but the pic looks exactly like my dog. This pic had a nicer pose than any pix I've taken.

8. pygmalion

@nucat: Nice. :)

In terms of starting a new LD forum, from my own experience, I think it might be difficult to come up with enough unique topics to get the conversation going. IIRC, when I was researching the topic, I found quite a few sites that list dance names and step patterns. And there were some sites from studios and such. But I didn't see a lot of discussion groups. (This may have changed. It's been a few years.)

I honestly can't think of a lot of things to discuss, although I could be wrong. Line dance patterns, variations, places, instructors, celebrities, competitions, technique, costumes, music/songs, etiquette, events/meet-ups. This is what pops into my head.

rbazsz, if you really want some LD discussion, why not start a thread or two on one of the topics above (or something else you can think of) and see what happens? The worst that can happen is that threads you start get no response. That's kind of ego-challenging, but you get used to it after a while. Or at least I did. *grin* And bear in mind that it takes a while. :cool:

ETA: What can really help is to have two or three people who are deeply passionate about a topic involved in discussion that other people can lurk and observe for a while. So, if you have a couple of line-dance-crazy friends who are computer literate, invite them to join you and get the ball rolling.

Best of luck! :-D

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

That's because there are a cornucopia of mods and they are always ready with the smackdown stick if you get out of line. :p

10. fascination

bats eyes innocently...no idea what you are talking about :)

11. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I doubt starting forums is difficult for a site like this. They probably have templates so it's very much just point and click.

The important question is whether it helps the website as a whole to discuss line dancing as an individual topic. I think it would be good for them if the goal is to increase traffic to the site.

12. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

By doing some text searches I have seen quite a few posts and threads about line dancing on this site.

13. pygmalion

Creating the infrastructure for a forum is probably not complicated. I don't know, since I never did that. Dance Mentor did all the behind-the-scenes forum building for DF, back in the day. You may well be right that it's relatively easy. OTOH, maybe not. I have no idea what adding another forum would take, IT resource-wise. *shrug*

That's not what I meant by forum-building, though. I'm coming from the web content/intellectual property angle. I meant that, IME, it's a common misconception that a forum can go from no conversation to flowing conversation easily and that, if you provide a framework, people will automatically join in and talk. That's not the case, IME. It takes months and months of grunt work, research, starting conversation stems, careful moderating, (hopefully) a core of dedicated, passionate people, in some cases linking to other sites and a bunch more stuff, including a lot of time investment on somebody's part. It looks easy, but it's not. *shrug*

14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

While the staff welcome any and all feedback and suggestions, those need to be directed to the staff mailbox. As per Guideline #5, "Issues concerning moderation will NOT be discussed in the open forum," so I am now locking this thread accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.