Tango Argentino > Why Floundering is Good

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by AndaBien, May 1, 2012.

1. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I agree with an incremental approach. As I said, if they are supposed to learn one single increment, I want them to know clearly what it is and why they are learning it.

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

It's good that approach works for you. As for me, after week one, I'd have been looking for a new teacher, if they wouldn't say what the end game was.

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I started tango dancing (and dancing in general) as an autodidact (due to financial reason). For several years I could not afford a class. So I became the pilot of my learning process, not the source of information of course. My part was to cut the cake into small pieces and into practicable objectives. Also later on when I took privates only. I used to define my next specific goal in either case. All the same with work shops. Teachers offer a special aspect. And I can decide whether it fits into my curriculum or not. This is my way I cannot imagine any other method for me could work.

A side effect, my teacher once said, curious, you can do all those complicated things (colgadas, slides, ..), but not basic stuff as giros. But when I finally started with enrosques, lapiz, planeos, rulos and the like my left knee refused its job.

So I find sometimes there is so much unconscious logic and body wisdom within an intuitional autodidactic and my be unsystematic approach!

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

indeed, I sympathise, but having seen a lot of workshops where the the visiting teacher had to coach people on fundamentals before they had a bat in hell's chance of getting near the 'endgame'. I was at a sacada workshop where having seen the elvel of dancing the teacher ran everyone through the giro in single and double time variations before she was happy to consider sacadas. I Have a lot of respect for teachers who do that.

5. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I'm fine with teachers doing that, as long as people are made to understand that before you can do a sacada in a turn, you first need to be able to do the turn.

[​IMG]

6. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Welcome to dance forums Nya!

I think it is probably true, it is easier to learn by trial and error as a follower.