Salsa > Why is 3/2 easier for me than 2/3?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by peachexploration, Apr 30, 2004.

1. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Okay, I have issues today. :? This is baffling to me. I just noticed this the other day. When I hear the 3/2 clave in a song. I have no problem keeping my timing. When hear the 2/3 clave in a song, I struggle with the timing when I change direction and end up dance on 1 again. What gives? Any suggestions?

2. tj

tj New Member

Are you dancing On2?

While I've been learning some On2 (Eddie Torres style) over the past few months, as an On1 dancer, I tend to listen to the melody more than the clave. This will prevent you from dancing on the 5.

Also, isn't what beat your dancing on, highly dependant on your lead? I'm able to switch follows from the 5 back to the 1 relatively easily. When it's someone I know well (or even someone who I don't know, but have sufficient connection), it can be done completely non-verbally. When it's someone who won't pick up on it, I'll whisper quietly in her ear that I'm switching - usually by blaming the song, since we are all familiar with those songs that switch back and forth.

(If this doesn't make sense - here is my logic:

The only difference between the 3/2 and the 2/3 is that 1(thru 4) and the 5 (thru 8 ) are reversed. Thus, the problem can be simplified to dancing on the 5 versus the 1.)

3. peachexploration

Just learning on2.

I'm primarily an on1 dancer which is why I'm having the problem.

This is true but I'm a stickler for timing and I'm practicing alone at the moment.

Good tip, thanks TJ. You're a gem. :D

4. tj

tj New Member

Ok, since we're at the same stage (of being an On1 dancer learning On2), I'd recommend that you know the specific song that you're practicing to. If it's any old song, then you'll run into that problem you're talking about. The class that I've been taking will start off with us doing shines On2 to a 2/3 clave (the song we typically use is "Acid" by ??????).

5. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Ok, I think, SalsaRhythms said this some time ago. He listens to the the conga pattern, not really the clave. I do the same, I find it just naturally easier to follow the congas. Just know that you have to walk over them, if danicng NY City style, and you'll "always" hit the 1, or the 5 when you land.

Too, I don't particularly care whether I start on the 5 or the 1. All the same to me, we are out there having fun, who cares what number you start on? that just tells me that the dancer sees, yet another rule, another limit... It's fine to firsrt learn it, but I don't agree with its use as an absolute rule when we go beyond the beginning period.

Acid is by Ray Barretto, Acid was also used as the name of his frist Album release for Fania in 72.

6. tj

tj New Member

Ok, thanks for that! (I was searching...)

7. peachexploration

oohhhh. Much better now. With the conga, I hear that loud "2" beat. When I concentrate on just that, it works much better. Concentrating too much on all counts instead of just that loud "2". I gotcha. Thanks, Boriken.

8. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

You are welcome tj... Ray Barretto is unbelievable!!! Acid, Cocinando, La Pelota, Ahora Si, Indestructible, Quitate La Mascara, Que Viva La Musica, on and on of absolutely great stuff.

9. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Yeap, different things work for different people, you just have to find what best suits you, then fly away...

You are welcome.

10. Vin

Vin New Member

Hi Peach,
    I have also had this problem at times because I also tend to concentrate too much on the clave at times. The reason I have had trouble is that I want to attack the 3 side more strongly than the 2 side of the clave.
    I am more used to attacking the first half of the clave as opposed to the second.
    I don't know if that makes sense.

11. peachexploration

Yeah Vin. It makes sense. When Boriken mentioned the conga, it clicked. :D

12. Jack

Jack New Member

I am into timing big time it had to be addressed, I can find the 1 or 5 now most of the time, although I do start on the 5 sometimes not knowing.
    Its coming along, I'm patient,*

13. peachexploration

Yeah, it takes time, Jack. As a leader, you have alot to worry initially but it will be second nature before you know it. :D

14. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:doh: first she "encourages" Sabor, now she is flirting the TJ. Hmmm! :roll:

:lol: Looks like the contender for the DF 2004 Flirt of the Year just might go to a female this year :wink: :lol:

15. peachexploration

I doubt it, Pacion. 8)

16. tj

tj New Member

:shock: Heavens to Betsy! (Is she going to be sent to bed w/o supper?)

17. peachexploration

:lol: :lol: :lol: