General Dance Discussion > Why is 4-count Hustle looked down on?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by fmill019, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Tangotime and Angel Hi, or anyone else, please do go into
    We've already strayed from Hustle in this thread, and that's no problem for me.
    I'm particularly interested in this as it might relate to original vs the UCWDC versions of Nite Club Two Step, and what relationship there is (or might be?) with the music.

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

It is primarily because of the Conga/Tumbao slap on 2 and 4. The original mambo in 1950/51 was being taught to break on 4 ( the way a Son commences ).The 2nd bar has the dominant slap on 4 The problem there teaching mambo on 4 was,as I see it, is this;

The 4th beat in the 2nd bar is also accompanied with the syncop. "and "which does not fit into the basic mambo timing ( this is where Cha cha gets its timing ).So, the 2s choice, follows the break sequence in Son, and that to me is logic .AM also teaches/taught Mambo to commence back on 2 prepped with a side on 1 ( like the break in Son ), so it seem to follow a directional pattern .

There maybe another correlation why 4 was the original choice ,which I'm guessing would be this;

Bolero being a template for the mambo box,which commenced side on 1. 2 (slow ) back break is 3(Q) and here it is.. a forward break in place on FOUR (left foot Q).I see the impracticality of this, teaching beginners to start on a beat (4 ) which as does now,may cause some confusion. Pretty much all dances start on one and that's where the prep came in , for mambo and Cha .

Hope that helps Steve..

NB.. this; (AMs ) teaching method, taught students to hold" on 4 and 1 feet together..

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Angel HI likes this.
  3. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Really did not intend to stray, and definitely want to keep the right topics in the right forums/threads. Yet, TT has offered a great professional look into the rhythms of your question. Usually the tech one, may I offer a more layman's approach, or a view from the dance rather than the music? :) Rumba and Cha break on 2 in BR dancing because it places the strong downbeat of the 1 at the end of the side-steps where it can catch the punch and emphasis of the beat, rather than the movement being lost in/on the rock-step, a less emphatic (perhaps, more social) movement when the break is placed there on the 1.