Salsa > Why is Musicality So Hard/Rare to Find in Salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Big10, Jul 15, 2007.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

This topic has been debated in detail on the salsa forums site.
    It became divided into 2 camps .

The point of learning about a musical culture ?, it gives a very deep insight, into the foundational aspects of that which we currently call Salsa .
    By learning what went " before ", allows me to make my own interpretations , with a more informed template .

Many discuss the lack of rhythmical expression in dance-- how can anyone teach something, that they know not ?. It comes back to the fundamental concept of researching your product .

The background of all genres, are its roots . How can you plant a tree, that will grow, without roots ?

The responsibility for educating the dance public, lies squarely at the teachers feet ( no pun ) .

My concern when teaching my classes ? education-- musically and structurally . The choices need to be shown, if only for distinction , in music and styles .

This is not unique to Salsa-- it holds true for all genres of dance-- if you do not understand ( the teachers ) how the dance is constructed musically, then how possibly, can you ever turn out anything, but robotic images of that which you personally present .

2. noobster

noobster Member

Oh, agreed. But you said 'learning the history of salsa,' which to me implies learning *about* the different styles but not necessarily how to do them. Sorry if I misinterpreted you.

Of course I agree that having a handle on the physical feel of related and predecessor dance forms should increase the richness of one's salsa interpretations.

Out of curiosity, quix... Which way did you see the dancer going on smiling28's thread on salsaforums?

http://www.salsaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6387

3. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

I saw both. On different occasions, I could see a different dominant direction. Typically, she'd start turning one way, and suddenly flip over. Then I would be completely powerless to make her go the orignal way. And this happened to be both ways - sometimes L-R-R-R-R... and sometimes R-L-L-L... The difficulty I had was to make her go whichever way I wanted to at will.. which I could never do :(

4. noobster

noobster Member

It's really hard! It's the hardest one of these images I've ever flipped. I have to stare at the foot and think "It's going *into* the screen... *into* the screen" to make it flip.

Alternatively I could look off-center so that she isn't on my fovea, in which case there's no 3-D illusion and it just looks like a black shape moving back and forth. Then I can think about clockwise or counterclockwise movement as I move her back to the center of my vision and she's usually going the right direction. That's easier than actually flipping her midstream (though not as cool looking).

5. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

I have the easiest time of it if I drop my attention down to the lowest foot only. The point when it is easiest to flip is when the toes are pointed to the right. There's a very simple geometrical explanation for this... which ought to apply equally well when the toes are on the left, but it doesn't seem to in practice. The added context of the upper body makes changing her direction a real bear, though.... stubborn girl won't switch legs.

Going completely off topic, you could try the Ames Window Illusion for another warmup.

6. Josh

Josh Active Member

This is so cool--thanks for sharing!