Salsa > Why is Musicality So Hard/Rare to Find in Salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Big10, Jul 15, 2007.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I dont know about the floor !!!!!! :rolleyes:

2. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

based on a couple of clips i saw of (frankie) i dont enjoy his style of dancing at all, i dont know him, i find america a funny place today where (well this could be said anywhere in the world) a funny place in that were not (i am lol) allowed to dislike people or there dancing, many people rise to fame in all kinds of professions, and its a good thing im not the one saying yes or no,that being said , in my opinion i"ve seen guys dance wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than frankie, and i dont even know there names(local & in new york).hey remember tom brokoff or spelled something like that(newsguy on tv all over USA) man that guy cant even speak good, sounds like he has paper in his mouth, and he"s famous and i think still on tv.someone one might be thinking does he speak as bad as you write and speel d-dj, lol , yeahhhhhhhh.....yes i know where not supposed to tear people down, i agree with that, but come on idols or no,it seems to me everyone has opinion"s , and thats good, believe it or not not everyone like the dancing dj..lol

3. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Which is why, the phrase, "let's agree to disagree" is such a wonderful phrase. ;)

4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I think maybe, some people are missing what his intentions are, when in a " performance " role.

In context of displaying the influences of the various native rhythms,-- bambuco, gauganco, etc.. on the current vogue, of dance and style, then I believe he achieves that end.

Having said that, " style " in a dance context, is very subjective , and I find nothing wrong, with being iconoclastic.
    When anyone places themselves in a public forum-- be prepared to have detractors .

5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Frankie Manning has cred. I just watched "Malcolm X", and there in the credits is "Frank Manning". One scene in the film is at Roseland, and Frank Manning was around when the scene is supposed to have taken place. Spike Lee thought enough of him to use him to help create a dance scene in his film.
    Frank(ie) Manning was there. He helped create a unique, new style of dancing. He's a living legend.
    Whenever I get a chance, I go and see these people for myself, before they are gone.
    I think it's normal to think (and maybe even say or write) things like "Who is this guy and why is he such a big deal?" It would be good to think of it as a "teachable moment". I hope you don't chose the alternate, because that would mean...
    (That doen't mean you have to like his style, however.)

6. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Agreed!

I did not care much for the video Paou posted of Frankie Martinez, however, I love this routine of his. Is it salsa? Perhaps not, but I love the whole performance of it - the speed, the body movements, the facial expressions, the confidence/stage presence. For those who are familiar with the routine and want to be spared (due to over exposure!) ;) it is the "Welcome to the Party" routine.

One of the "beautiful" things about these amateur videos, is that you can be pretty sure they have not been tampered with ie. speeded up or slowed down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moCmecFsDy4

Here is a video, also courtesy of YouTube, where he danced the routine with Lori. She is "awesome" and kept up with him. Beautiful dancer also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dbMdcKxMLk

Here is some additional footage which according to one comment, may be pre 2000? Same guy, but like I said, his dance style has evolved, but the facial expressions, stage presence/confidence, still very much there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJZ9or09-Y4

7. tj

tj New Member

Wait... :?: Steve is talking about Frankie MaNNING while everyone else is talking about Frankie MarTINEZ... :?:

What's sorta funny about the way that this thread has degenerated is that I'm not a Frankie fan. However, it is over the line to say that he isn't dancing salsa or is off-time. Perfectly ok to say that you don't like the way he dances.

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Wonders never cease...

9. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I did see that Steve was talking about Frankie MaNNING. I think the message is still the same ie. jump forward 40 years from now, picture this...

The words in red have been changed by me ;) The message is the same...

10. tj

tj New Member

:doh: :lol: Now I follow. :friend: Thanks Pacion!

11. Pacion

Pacion New Member

;) Any time :lol: :lol:

As he wrote in another thread...

12. tj

tj New Member

Actually, this is a good point. If all innovators are just attacked and ostracized by a dance community, then how does a dance evolve?

You may not like what they bring in terms of their own styling/point of view, but imagine how boring it'd be if everyone danced exactly the same way.

13. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Or wore the same white jazz shoes... ;)

14. tj

tj New Member

With a towel dangling from his back pocket...

15. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol:!

16. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, sorry, everyone. since I just saw that film last night, and had "Frankie" on my mind...

17. tj

tj New Member

Lol, no worries. :wink: I think I'm the only one who got confused. :confused: :)

18. Pacion

Pacion New Member

No harm done... the message was still relevant irrespective of whether you were talking about "Frankie" or "TJ" ;) :banana: :lol:

19. tj

tj New Member

Yes, it was a case of FrankIE fixation...

20. Andresito

Andresito Member

FrankIE goes to hollywood ?

Relax !