Salsa > Why it is important that we SUPPORT the music!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Jacira, Jan 13, 2004.

?

What is the best way to support salsa?

1. Buy Salsa CDs

100.0%
  2. Purchase drinks at the clubs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Teach more people to dance salsa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. All of the above!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jacira

Jacira New Member

It seems that "Unity through Salsa", Albert Torres' motto, is a lofty ideal, at best. I see infighting between salsa instructors or schools all over the world. Instead of preying on the existing students and trying to steal them from other schools or instructors, I believe we should each create something unique and try to build up the salsa community, instead of tearing it to pieces.

My wishes for the new year are that we:

SUPPORT THE MUSIC. If you burn CDs you are depriving artists of their royalties, so then how do they put food on their tables? Buy the music!

SUPPORT THE CLUBS. If you don't buy drinks and instead go and drink water from the tap in the bathroom, the clubs don't make money and eventually they will close or change music styles. Then we all lose. The clubs make money at the bar. If you don't care to imbibe, at least order bottled water or soda from the bar. Pay the entrance fee (cover charge). By supporting the clubs, the owners will in turn bring in bands for our enjoyment.

WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND! If you know how to dance fairly well, teach a friend. If you know how to dance really well, teach a few friends. If you are a professional teacher, make it your goal to teach at least 10 students and get them up to a very proficient level this year.

This is how salsa can grow! Don't let it die! Do your part to get along and not stomp on anyone's toes in the process!

Wishing everyone a very salsa-filled new year!

Jacira

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I have a feeling that I'm going to love everything you are going to say about salsa. :D :D :D :D :D

3. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

IMHO, these are very important statements. I hear alot of disappointing comments from "dedicated" students regarding proficiency when they actually go out and dance. For one, how can you promote Salsa if the students you're teaching are not proficient? Unfortunately, alot of the focus is on making money, not producing good students. :? And yes, share the passion of Salsa that makes it so beautiful! Thanks Jacira! :D

4. Jacira

Jacira New Member

Wow! That's a novelty! I'm usually rather controversial! For an example, see my article on World Salsa Fraud: http://www.salsapower.com/editorials/wsf.htm ....which started a huge, raging controversy. This all took place just over a year ago. To date, I have YET to receive a single e-mail in support of this guy. Be sure to read the Readers Responses to this article (Link at the top of the page) to see what I mean!

Forwarned is forearmed!

Jacira

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi Jacira! Welcome to the forums, and nice to "meet" you. I read your controversial article, and started a thread on it here.

I'm a relative salsa newbie, and I look forward to reading your posts.

Welcome. :D

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Thanks, BUT been there! Done that!! No need to rehash such a topic!! IMHO :)

I particularly like the sentiments expressed in this passage: the idea of not putting down different styles of the dance, but rather different people sharing their unique styles/interpretations.

7. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Controversy? Perhaps of what happened at the competition. Your words? Nope, they are only a reaction to what you see as an atrocity to that which you love. If a person has the audacity to pull of something like I’ve read on the article, then you have every right in the world to express, and prove your points by any means necessary.

There is always need for those who seek strength of the salsa world, and if by doing so they call out those whose main purpose in life is monetary gain, regardless of nourishment to the salsa community. Then let it be so…

8. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

Hi Jacira!

Welcome to the forums... :D

I know you and I have gone back and forth on some
    emails so I was very excited to see you posting on the
    boards here...

Believe me, I think that the work you do is great and I know
    that everyone here can benefit from your points of view, just
    like everyone here can benefit from everyone's point of view...

That's what I love about this community, you get to see different
    sides...

Anyway, welcome and hope to hear from you as often as possible.

By the way, I agree 100% with what you had to say.

Everything in life is a give and take. The same way that "salsa"
    gives to you, you (as the dancer) must also give back to salsa.
    In this case you give back to salsa by supporting the artists and
    the venues that promote the artists and so on...

One big cycle...