General Dance Discussion > Why Learn Rumba?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by rbazsz, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I was talking about their ballroom nights; Paragon is a ballroom venue, on Fridays and once monthly on Saturday.

2. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Hmmmmmm. I go to the Paragon for WCS and I'm sure I haven't seen Rumba. Of course as explained by a few others WCS venues aren't the most likely places to watch the Rhumba.

By the way -- is it best to spell it Rumba or Rhumba?

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Oh well, if Rumba is not useful for the OP's situation, then I might not be worthwhile for him. For me, it is an essential dance...

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Depends how breathily you speak. :)

5. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

They sure wouldn't spell it with an 'h' in Cuba. Also, you might want to bear in mind that at a WCS place, they can dance WCS to just about any sort of music, so you might be hearing music suitable for American Rumba, but nobody is dancing it.

6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Very true...

7. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Probably old news that doesn't need revisiting, but just for clarity (since the OP seems to be trying to learn)....

the dance does not 'start' on 4. Moving on the beat before, 'or at a time before' the intended first step is simply putting the body in motion so that the first step is not a jarring, abrupt, or disconnected movement. In a recent class, we told the dancers to always precede foot movement with body movement. To not do so typically results in a zombie-like picking up and placing of the feet.

8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

"body flight"

"&a1"

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Slow cha cha is a great alternate. In fact, I feel it's more sensual when done at moderate rumba tempos.

10. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

the few lessons i had in IR emphasized the prep on four. similarly, some people start cha-cha on 4, others with a sidestep on 1... the point is that the break is on two.

speaking as a ballroom DJ: waltz foxtrot chacha rumba ECS/jive are what i consider the bread and butter dances and they generally get played twice as often as all the other dances such as WCS, salsa, samba, tango & AT (sometimes i'll choose one you can *kinda* do both) NC2S, merengue, quickstep, etc. - though if i notice that *everyone* dances a certain song, i may play an extra one or two over the course of an evening.

11. Ron AKA

Ron AKA New Member

When we signed up for beginner dance classes, we ended up spending time on international rumba. I was not impressed as that was not on the course outline, nor on my interest list. The instructor insisted that it was the proper way to learn dance -- start with the rumba. So, now after a number of classes, I would have to agree. It is the best way to learn the Cuban motion. Cha Cha Cha for example is too fast for a beginner to learn the technique well.

12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If you can do rumba well, you can do the rest of the Latin. Or at least cha cha and it will give you tools for samba. (Paso, not so much, but unless you're very odd if you're only interested in social dancing that is not a high priority to have in your tool kit.)

13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yeah, that was my experience, too, where we started off with slower music when we were first learning some things...

14. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Several of you have made good cases for learning the rumba, but all of you sound like my instructor. Many of you argue that the rumba benefits dancers in the long run. But, most of us newbies don't care about the long run -- we want to learn social dances NOW, not later. Rumba is a good dance, but as a social dance it's kind of low on the ladder in terms of how often it can be used socially. I can learn Latin motions by taking Salsa lessons, a dance that is high on the ladder because the ladies love it, so why waste my time learning Rhumba?

The arguments for Rumba sound very similar to the malarkey I was given when as an adult I decided to take piano lessons. I bought into the argument that you must learn classical styles to play blues, rock and roll, or whatever. Don't get me wrong -- I think it's great for musicians to learn classic techniques, but only if they are starting at a young age. Adults just don't have the time, talent, and desire to slog through things that take years to learn.

Adult newbies learning to dance are making a big mistake by devoting time, money, and energy on dances like the rumba. Sadly, studios will continue to push dances like the rumba because they want confuse students, which in theory entices the students to come back and spend more money on lessons.

15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I would urge you to learn it because it is my favorite rhythm dance, and if you ever want to dance with me....

16. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

You are obviously showing your complete lack of knowledge in the latin genre.

"Rumba " ( Square form ) is THE dance upon which ALL the latin dances are based , and gives the foundation necessary for good tecnique .

The rhythm, which emanates from the Danzon and Guaracha, are Son based and are an integral part of all indigenous latin rhythms..

It has all the characteristics ,that are deply embedded in all you will ever dance in latin no matter the style .

As to Cuban motion, this where it all orignates from and needs a slower tempo to fully develop the action.

17. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Not to mention perpetuating that all adult learners/straight social dancers are jokes who don't care about quality or technique. And then they have the nerve to wonder why no one who's any good ever wants to dance with them.

18. Ron AKA

Ron AKA New Member

A short while ago, I would have agreed with you. However, now that I have a little more experience, I will admit I was wrong, and there is benefit in learning the rumba even if you never dance it socially.

On the other hand I think you only need to learn the very basic steps and the step movement. That is not enough to actually dance the rumba socially, but it is enough to move on to other dances that you are more interested in. And, if the dance instructors are insisting on you completing a full level of rumba first, then perhaps they are more interested in your money than in just meeting your needs.

19. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

When the music is moderate tempo and romantic, American Rumba is useful for social dancing. Another is Nightclub 2-Step.

20. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Nothing I said should be interpreted to mean that quality and/or technique doesn't matter. But, in social dancing having fun should be the #1 priority!

I would argue that if dances are fun I'm more likely to learn them well -- and the fun level of dances is directly related to how many women I can get to dance with me.

Ultimately it's women who decide which dances are popular. So far it seems they have chosen Salsa over Rhumba. If women ever collectively decide that Rhumba is the thing to do then it would make sense for me to change gears and concentrate on that.