General Dance Discussion > Why Learn Rumba?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by rbazsz, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Quoted...

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Where are you doing your dancing ?.. clubs or studios ?.. and actually, its DJs who promote music NOT dancers.. if you play ( as a DJ ) lots a salsa, then thats the crowd you will draw, and the opposite is true .

Also, this shouldnt be an either or not comparison , they both are as valid in their respective forms ,each contributing to the latin genre, and hugely dependant on each other .

3. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I dance at both clubs and studios.

I'm not making a value judgement on rumba vs salsa -- but I am saying that in my area Salsa rules supreme over Rumba. For me choosing which of these two dances to do is a "one or the other" choice, so I choose the one that the vast majority of women choose.

4. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

actually, safety through good technique should be the #1 priority. if you dont have this, women wont want to dance with you anyway.

and try to be open-minded... many of our members here have many years of experience from which they are giving advice to you.

5. bia

bia Well-Known Member

If you don't want to learn rumba, don't learn rumba. You're an adult and free to be in charge of your own dance journey. However, I don't understand why you need rumba to be acknowledged as fundamentally useless for all adult newbies before you can own your decision. You asked why learning rumba could be considered useful, and people told you. The fact that the DFers' arguments echoed your teacher's would suggest to me that maybe your teacher's motivations are not just mercenary, since the DFers have no financial stake in your dance choices. But whether or not the arguments have validity beyond trying to separate you from your money, if you personally do not find rumba useful socially, and you don't care about the technical benefits of learning the dance, and you don't think it would be fun for you, that's sufficient support for your choice.* Other adult newbies who go to social dances where rumbas are frequently played, or who want to develop their fundamental latin/rhythm technique, or who just think the dance is fun/beautiful/sexy will make a different choice. Why is that a problem?

*My husband is someone who made a similar choice. He doesn't like rumba. And that's fine, because it's not necessarily vital for his goal of dancing slow foxtrot like Luca (or in the short term, dancing syllabus standard with me in a few comps). When we're out dancing socially and a rumba comes on, he's fine sitting it out, and I'm fine looking for someone else to dance with for that song. But he doesn't then sit there and talk about what idiots everyone on the floor is for having learned this dance and how their teachers have taken advantage of them. They like it and/or find it useful for their dance goals, so they dance it. He doesn't, so he doesn't. Done.

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

this

7. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

Rbazsz, If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? That might make a difference.

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

There are times at social events when the music is better suited for Rumba or [fill in the blank]. It can be a lot of fun to know a variety of dances for different songs / occasions and even be on the dance floor the whole night, no matter what the DJ plays... :) Rumba goes so well with so many of my favorite songs--so I cannot imagine having it in my repertoire along with Salsa / Mambo and so on...

9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

At the Salsa venues in our area, when a Bachata song comes on, some people dance American Rumba (for instance, if they don't know or don't care for Bachata as a dance). That is just one more example where Rumba is useful for social dancing. And sometimes a slower (slower than Salsa or Cha Cha) romantic song comes on, befitting a Rumba...

10. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I'm 50+. I do think age makes a difference. Rumba dancers tend to be older. My perceived popularity of salsa could definitely be dependent on the venues I dance.

11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Done that myself. Not a big fan of bachata with strangers.

12. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I'm with you all the way. I'm a married man and don't need to get into that kind of trouble. If you ask me the regular dances are sexy enough.

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have a permission slip to dance bachata with specific latin men...other than that, not so interested

14. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

You don't have to dance "dirty" bachata - you can use a more open hold. Unless you secretly *like* dirty bachata with strangers. :wink:

15. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of bachata at all. ;-) I'm sorry, but every time I see it, I keep thinking someone needs to be taken out for a walk. :roll: If I were single, and it was a popular dance with the ladies, I would probably learn it, endeavoring to find a way to make it look less canine. Otherwise I would do a rumba to it.

16. Larinda McRaven

For awhile Charlie Zaa was a big artist that was being played for competitive American Rumba music, although technically he would be considered Bachata. It was nice for awhile, but I am glad we have music now that is more Rumba-ish. Although for all intents and purposes on the social floor they can be quite interchangeable.

17. ant

ant Member

Why do you consider that Rumba and Salsa should be considered together? If the situation in the US is the same as the UK, then Rumba will be danced in places that feature Ballroom and Latin (generally the 10) and Salsa will be featured in totally separate events as a dance on its own.

I found rumba difficult to master. From I musical point of view I was taught to move on the 2 and hold/control the hips on the 1. I found both of these to be a challenge which I am slowly dealing with but I think this has had the general effect of improving my dancing over all the dances I do.

Would I think about doing Rumba if I was more interested in salsa? Probabally not.

However if you are having problems controlling your hips (or difficulty with latin music), whether in Salsa or any other latin dance, in my opinion it is the best dance to learn to overcome these problems.

18. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

My hip action is almost beyond hope. I have heard that's a good reason to learn Rumba but I don't know why Salsa wouldn't be just as much help.

19. Larinda McRaven

Because salsa is too fast.

Slower is better for the brain to learn new actions and grow new neural pathways.

20. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

Larinda,

Thanks I did not know that. Therefore, do you recommend that when one is practicing a new step that one begin by practicing it slowly and continue practicing it slowly; or, do you recommend that one begin practicing it slowly ;then, if one feels like they have mastered the step doing it slowly, then practice it quicker?