General Dance Discussion > Why Learn Rumba?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by rbazsz, Apr 30, 2011.

1. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

"if you cannot dance a figure well slowly, you surely cannot dance a figure well at tempo"

~ A former instructor

2. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

Nucat, I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that that former instructor meant once you can dance the figure "well slowly," then you should practice dancing the step "at tempo." Is that correct?

3. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Actually, he wanted people to begin slowly and slowly work up to the "proper" tempo, taking care to remember technique and styling as well as the figure.

YMMV.

4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Breaking knee and hip action into smaller, more digestible chunks of information, allows the brains to recognize the proper order of action and execute each one before the next one action. Sometimes we are only talking an 8th of a beat for an action. Considering that in simple terms you break rumba or salsa down into quicks (1 beat) and slows (2 beats) ... once you realize that there are very specific things to do on an 8th of a beat you will see how much you have to slow down only get them all but also get them in order.

I think most great dancers still spend hours practicing "rumba walks" slowly forever in front of the mirror, and most standard dancers practice "feather and three" forever. Those types of things are the way that dancers "warm up". So if you are not really into Rumba, as a dance, fine. But I would still encourage you to learn proper "rumba walks" and slowly practice those. Forever. It will only enhance every other latin/rhythm dance that you enjoy.

5. freeageless

Larinda,

Thank you. I am just a beginning dancer, so it sounds complicated to me, but it sounds right. I assume that you are saying that it is better to practice the step(s) slowly, because you will see things that you won't see, if you practice the step(s) dancing quicker. Is that what you mean? If so, that sounds right to me.

6. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

SO true. I'm now going through the very unhappy task of reworking my brain (probably a much needed task on multiple fronts.) ;) As my instructors have been telling me repeatedly lately, it's all there but it's all out of order. All I can do now is slow everything down and start over again. BELIEVE what Larinda says. Start SLOW.

7. freeageless

I believe what Larinda says-start slow.

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

This seems generally true for a lot of things in life...

9. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

@ free, LM's post is a good one. Glad you are taking it to heart.

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

this...absolutely...my pro does this alongside me in both FT and RU at every lesson...it is the foundation for so many other dances....and the truth is, if you can't do it well slowly, you will not be likely to do it well in the quicker dances that employ the same technique

11. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Like!

Though I think foxtrot can be the reverse. I feel it helps to start at a faster tempo and then dance it progressively slower.

12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

When I first started learning Salsa, everything (including the music) just seemed to be at a breakneck speed. I had trouble keeping up. American Rumba helped me learn a lot of things (including shared figures between Salsa, Mambo, Cha Cha, and Rumba) at a moderate speed. And then Salsa did not seem as daunting to me when I was a beginner...

13. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

That's the best argument I have heard so far for learning Rumba. I have a very difficult time following Salsa music because it seems very fast and I'm not sure what to focus on to pick up the rhythm.