Tango Argentino > Why more ladies than men at AT class...

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mr.Q, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Mr.Q

Mr.Q New Member

I found that most likely more ladies than men are in the classes, especially workshops. Are there any special reasons for this ? Ladies simply like AT better than men ?

It is interesting to me that many ladies enjoy 'close embrace'.

Anyway, I'm happy because I can always dance with beautiful ladies without pausing. ^^

AT seems to be one of the most difficult dances to learn. Very hard to apply the steps which I have learned in the class.

2. lynn

lynn New Member

actually, i see more ladies than men in ALL of my dance classes - AT is no exception....

3. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

I stopped counting the numbers of workshops I had to leave because of women shortage. Even prepaid workshops sometimes.
    That's why I changed my approcah for classes. The previous year I tried to choose the best teachers for my style and level, and once then I would try to see if there are partners for me. Not any more. Now I find a partner first and I go to the class she chose, whatever the level or style.
    More ladies? It's a urban legend.

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Ladies simply like AT men better ? :wink:

5. Twirly

Twirly New Member

:lol: Could be...

Here the AT classes are more balanced than salsa or ballroom, but as a whole there are still more women, especially among beginners. Usually it works out OK though. It's very rare that there are more men in any of the classes I've been to.

I'd like to be able to say that because AT is especially difficult for men, they give up quickly and that's why there are more women than men. However, that doesn't really explain why there are still more men proportionally doing AT than salsa or ballroom... I suppose dancing in general just attracts more women, unfortunately.

6. In Argentina there are actually more man than ladies in the classes. Thats not nice for me :?

7. fun

fun New Member

AT is only difficult to learn if it is taught like any other dance. there is no basic step which makes it the king of all :) and deserve a different approach.

there is a natural and understandable/logical reason why there are typically more women than men in all dances...

8. Norka88

Norka88 New Member

I typically see couples who come to a class for the first time and the woman is really into learning the dance (both AT and ballroom), but the husband/boyfriend is there just to apease her. He'll stop coming at the first opportunity.

All I can say is that those men are missing out and providing me with many partners to dance with. Thanks!

9. jhpark

jhpark Member

Hmm... Due to scheduling conflicts, I haven't taken group AT classes for a while. But from a relatively new dancer's perspective, a lot of the women in my area could use some additional classes... There are a lot who don't have good balance or connection, and it's frustrating. I'm sure if I were a better dancer I could adjust for that sort of thing more easily, but at the moment it's just beyond me. I'm taking private lessons though, so hopefully I'll be able to lead more effectively. In a few years.

10. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

This seems to be the trend with other styles, too.

Ayuh ... so do the guys. ;)

[/quote]Anyway, I'm happy because I can always dance with beautiful ladies without pausing. ^^[/quote]
    How do you mean?

Ah! Practice, practice, practice. ;)

11. DancePoet

Yet there is a set of steps that seems to be taught first in places.

And that is?

12. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Must depend on location, then. I have been taking group classes and workshops for 7 years and 90% of the time men were outnumbered. In one extreme case there were two women for every man in the class. Although, in most classes I've been to the teacher usually rotated partners, so that every man has a chance to dance with every lady.

13. DancePoet

And at the AT group classes I've taken the mix tends to fluxuate. Soemtimes there are more guys, sometimes more gals.

Oh well.

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I've noticed more men then women at beginner AT classes. Not taken an intermediate one yet so cannot comment on that. *shrug*

15. jon

jon Member

I think AT is very beautiful, and love the music. But there is an enormous energy barrier for beginning leaders in this dance, there is a huge language issue with most of the imported teachers, and I have not found it a welcoming community for new leaders. I've tried starting AT four times and always end up getting so tense that my head hurts and my shoulder muscles lock up. Too much pain (literally!) for too little reward.

The only AT teacher I've ever taken from whose teaching style resonates with me is Daniel Trenner, who unfortunately is on the other side of the country. So, this dance isn't going to happen for me.