General Dance Discussion > Why No Ballet Section?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by idanceinuggs, Feb 12, 2005.

1. idanceinuggs

idanceinuggs New Member

why is there no ballet section?

2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Re: BALLET

Because we were waiting for you to come along and create one! :wink:
    Joking aside, there are quite a few threads on ballet. SOme of the dancers on DF do many forms of dance, ballet being among them.
    Welcome to the forums, Idanceinuggs! :D

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Yes, I would even consider creating a separate forum for ballet if we had enough people that came forward and told me they would post in it and make it thrive.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I think such a section might draw more ballet dancers and the same for jazz and tap dancers if these were in place.

5. idanceinuggs

idanceinuggs New Member

yeah ive been taking ballet for years and have danced with american ballet theatre, ballet pacifica, and am now on contract with the crystal cathedral dancing in the Glory of Easter in OC cali. i am 16 and would love to see a new thread/forum about ballet. i know tons of other people from other forums (ballet allert, pointe message boards, dancers lounge, among others) who would be willing to join.
    please consider it! at this point i would not be of any assistance or a good addition to this forum because i have never/will never try any other forms of dance. please PM me if there will be a ballet thread and i would be more than happy to email my friends to join this site. thanks for your consideration! >>logan (female but the name is tricky)

6. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Re: Ballet

Hello and welcome!
    This is more of a partner dance type of site, I'd say, but then, I'm no one official or anything. :)

Cool that you are a real ballerina! *sigh* My first dream....

(cue the Sugarplum Fairy music...)

7. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

Dance Mentor:

I'm just a baby beginning ballet student, but having friends I can talk to about my other dancing (tango, ballroom, salsa, etc.) has helped me so much that it would be nice to have other (more experienced?) ballet friends to talk to and learn from as well.

So, add my vote for a Dance Forum section on Ballet/Classical Dance (maybe to include Jazz/Modern and Tap, too).

And actually, I've noticed that because ballet dancers spend so much of their training working alone, by the time they get to pas de deux work, their partner dancing skills are kind of weak (a professional ballerina confirmed this observation for me recently). So I think that a section on ballet in a partner dance forum is entirely appropriate. Not only can we social dancers learn a lot from those with classical training, I think the ballet dancers can learn alot from us who have developed the art of partner dancing. It's all about artists sharing their art with other artists, and learning from each other. As I said, I've learned a LOT and grown as a dancer by branching out of my area (tango) and being willing to learn from someone else's art (ballroom).

Renee

8. dsprtn87

dsprtn87 New Member

the first thing iever took was ballet, (this year) I enjoyed it very much and iknowid post in it alot...............

9. DanceMentor

What I would rather do is create a separate forum. For example, we have www.salsaforums.com
    Then hopefully we could get a few people to help get it going. I could even place ads at the top of this site promoting the new forum. What do you think?

10. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

Dear Dance Mentor:

I personally like it that I have one place where I can go to about dancing all under one roof. Most of the friends I have made here have NOT been tango people, which I like. Kind of gets me out of this tight little tango world I live in to discover that other kinds of dance DO exist, and there are people who take their salsa and foxtrot as seriously as I take my tango. If I'd only been introduced to a "tangoforum," then I'd have missed out on all the great friends here on this forum who are not tango fiends -- Sagitta, tacad, Vince, Pygmalion, etc. And that would have been my loss.

If you create a separate forum discussion board for ballet, I'm afaid, "ne'er the twain shall meet." But, then, you're the boss. This is just my feeling on the topic.

Renee

11. dsprtn87

dsprtn87 New Member

thats a really good point that i didnt think of........so maybe we should jus keep it at a thread or two. Either way its cool, but i do enjoy seeing all the different perspectives on topics, and adding anothe rlevel of diversity definatley keeps thatalive

12. DanceMentor

We've tossed around the idea a few times, but never really found a solution that everyone liked. I have a domain that could be used: www.talkdance.com
    What I had in mind was basically all forum of dancing that typically don't involve a partner: ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop, modern, break dancing, etc.
    I don't if we have enough people to fill this forum.

If we did it here, I might be a little concerned about the topics that appear at the top getting mixed around and having too many competing topics. I just can't see a clear answer.

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I like and go to ballets, but I don't think the term "partner" fits in anywhere in ballet.

14. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Hi idanceinuggs! Welcome to DF!

I actually know what uggs are! :D What type of dancing do you do, and are you really doing ballet in uggs?

Currently, it is ok to post about ballet here in the General Dance Forum. And feel free to ask questions, too. The more folks who post about ballet, the more likely other folks will post, too.

Hope to see you around on DF! :D

15. Alias

Alias Member

I think that social partner dancing is something special, and covering (Salsa dances, Swing dances, Argentine Tango, Ballroom, Country and Western) in one forum is already a lot, this is a good idea because of some common questions (therefore the "General Dance Discussion") and the interesting interaction between dancers from different partner dances, and it's also fine for those who dance many partner dances.

Have I already said that this forum is also great (apart from the people here) because it's well organised?

What would be interesting is to talk about Ballet (and others) in relation with partner dancing, from the point of view of partner dancers, and with the ideas and questionning from Ballet (and others) dancers interested in partner dancing.

As for a solution don't forget the administrator has also to think about the general organisation of the forum as well of the technical points ...

16. Kuriin

Kuriin New Member

I thought Ballet Pacifica was new? I noticed that Ethan Steifel was the Artistic Director. Pretty damn cool. 8)

17. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

I went to a tango weekend in San Diego a couple weeks ago, and one of the workshops was on applying ballet techniques to partner dancing. We spent about half the class learning how to properly engage the body for doing things like lifts, drops, and leans. But the other part of the class that was so enlightening for me was the element of trust. And not just trust in your partner to be able to hold you and not drop you. The more important kind of trust was being able to trust myself to do the technique properly so I wouldn't hurt my partner. I'm a pretty big woman -- tall, and still a little overweight, so I worry a lot about hurting my partner. I'm scared he'll tear a muscle or hurt his back or something if I do something wrong. But it was such a "rush" to finally FEEL it in my body when I was engaging my body correctly, and then to feel how EASY it was for my partner to execute the movement (drop or lean). Correctly done, he won't get hurt, even if he's shorter and lighter than me.

And the other fellow who took the class (it was just the two of us), he also said that it was important for him to be able to trust himself, that he wouldn't drop his partner when he took her off her center.

That ballet class, with two professional ballet dancers, was a gold mine. I use what I learned in every class, every dance now.

18. chachachacat

Ballet Pacifica has been around for a while. My former chripractor's wife danced in it, that was the early 90's.

19. IvyAB

IvyAB Member

Hmm, Ballet Pacifica IS new. Brand-new, holding auditions for its First season. Maybe you're thinking of a different company?

-LB

20. chachachacat

I guess I'm thinking of something similar....Pacific Ballet? Pacifier Ballet? :oops: :lol: