General Dance Discussion > why not permit a female to lead in class?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by starry, Jan 18, 2005.

1. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

How can one possibly quote when one doesn't know what one is doing?

2. tacad

tacad New Member

Sweet!

3. amrimi

amrimi New Member

Especially for our beginning Salsa or Rueda class, my class gets asked quite a lot if some guys or more experienced women want to take the other class as well, so that the newbie women won't get confused by having to dance as a lead because normally the male/female ratio in that classes is 1:2 and most don't won't to sit out every other dance. A lot of us are always take up this offer because hey who wouldn't want to have some lessons for free.

4. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I always encourage both males and females to learn the opposite role... it gives them a better feel for what they should do when they dance... and it gives me a break when I don't have enough "of one gender"! :)

I learned how to lead on my own, but only beginning stuff, like a CBL and an open break... for spins I had to be told what to do properly... :). I loved every minute of it!

Last week I learned some Cuban Rueda moves from a friend and since there were too few follows I decided I wanted to learn how to lead them! And I had a blast! Of course, my previous leading experience helped me a lot, as I learned the moves very fast! :)

My partner can follow. He's got very bad arm tension if you ask me... :lol: :lol: :lol: But this is because most men feel very uncomfy doing the follower's part... homophobia and stuff :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. blue

blue New Member

Now, this is not about a review but about posting a name of an individual and/or studio, with the only purpose to speak badly about him/her/it. IMO that kind of thing speaks poorly of the poster. I would find it bad taste, and applaud the decision not to do so.

6. blue

blue New Member

I think the guys in the beginner's class where I have been leading, are intimidated by me in a similar fashion. Come on, it is not so strange that I am one of the best leaders in class - I have danced this dance a lot lot more than most of them! In the follower role, sure, but lots of stuff is the same. At least one of them does not like dancing with me outside class. I feel like Hey, I try to be nice to the guys from beginner's class and ask them to dance... :( but it is his loss, really.

I can relate to the "confusing arms" thing - the only problem I have is, related to me having started to lead while I was not very much more than a beginner follower, is before actually starting the dance. Which hand should hold where? :lol: Regarding this, I can be totally confused at times! and have to rely on rules of memory. "Follower: left hand on his shoulder." and similar. :lol: I am quite convinced that this is a passing stage though; like children who speak two languages from early childhood. Almost all of them go through a stage of mixing the two languages, and sometimes the parents are concerned - but it is a passing phase.

Maybe by having a partner, who does the other role?

7. blue

blue New Member

I think this varies a lot between different communities and subcommunities. Here, a lot more women lead in AT than in lindy - although AT have a lot more "man/woman stuff" attached to its image than the fun, jumpy lindy. Why? Gender rates... or coincidence. Some women started leading (also socially) and others realised this was a great way not to spend too much time sitting and waiting to dance, and that it is fun to lead...

My guess is, that this is true in most cases. Regarding the swing society that for some years did not allow you to dance the other role in class, they explicetly said the reason was that they had had people dancing the other role, causing complaints from other students.

8. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Dance crushes are never silly -- they are very, very powerful and addictive, whether romantically inclined or not. See :arrow: Dancefloor crushes.

9. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I'm not interested in which specific studio has what policy since I'm not a NYC resident, but I am interested in the overall picture, i.e., are there many studios that don't like "role reversals" among students. Perhaps you could post a summary of your findings?

10. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I have been led by an excellent female teacher and she was so smooth I started getting dizzy and had to shut my eyes.

11. alemana

alemana New Member

my posts on this thread have very specifically pertained to the research i did as well as my own personal experience in new york city - *my* teachers and *my* colleagues. i have bracketed my narrative and conclusions as such. if you believe my comments are 'sweeping,' perhaps you are not reading carefully, and/or don't care for my conclusions.

if your experience is different, that's cool! rock on with your bad self.

for the person who asked for a summary of my findings: in *general,* it seems like the bigger, more commercial studios have a better handle on how to be inclusive and open-minded. there were some large exceptions, however. it's also worth noting that salsa/mambo is a very hot commodity in new york city, demand is high, and teachers can afford to be picky and/or specialize.

i had originally wondered if rigidity of gender and dance role might correlate to some measure of "authenticity," "street-ness" (opposite of ballroom salsa) and "latin-ness." the first woman leader i ever met in new york had trained in a well-known and very "street" environment, and told me she had to struggle for *years* there, but perservered because the level of instruction was so high. eventually she was marginally accepted - but WHAT A LEADER, wow. she just blew me away. anyway, her experience gave the lie to that theory, and in general i don't think it holds water.

at a well-known social i attend, instances of women dancing together are rare. last week i noticed a couple who signalled "lesbian," and they were mostly ignored (by that i mean, left to dance with one another.) two weeks ago, i saw a more traditionally feminine duo having a turn together. i only noticed it because a crowd of men quickly gathered to hoot, and i heard the racket from across the room. i walked over to see what was going on, because this kind of commotion is fairly rare at this social. i don't know the couple or anything about their standing in the community - they could've been two famous salseras, or teachers, or out-of-towners, or sisters for all i know.

anyway, that's a bit of a tangent, since we were talking about instruction, not the social scene.

12. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I always dance with other girls at the socials... no one has ever turned me down! Which is more than I can say for guys... :evil:

Anyway, I don't really care if guys don't invite me! Sometimes it's annoying, but at other times I just ignore them or go and ask for a dance myself... of course, I'm usually lucky that I have a partner I can dance with and some students who always hang out with us! :)