General Dance Discussion > Why on EARTH did this dress sell so high on e-bay?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Me, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Me

Me New Member

2. DancinAnne

DancinAnne New Member

Not sure myself... but might be a good time to sell some of my own comp dresses on ebay... ;)

3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Well, I actually tried this dress on...and while it was very pretty, it was a little too short for me and a lot of stones fell off in the process (and I'm really careful when trying on other people's dresses). I'm sure it'll work well for the right person...but it was originally priced at $1,000!

4. Me

Me New Member

Ah well that makes sense. If the dress were being shopped around at ballroom venues, people on E-bay looking for gowns would have been familiar with it and more willing to bid higher.

I'm still surprised that it sold for that much on E-bay. o.o Everybody is so cheap on that site... including myself!

5. mamboqueen

Well, the obvious problem with buying on ebay is that you're usually stuck with the purchase, so I generally won't bid high on something. This dress was offered elsewhere, and the person was kind enough to send it to me (although I have met this person once and her husband is a dh regular :)), so some familiarity helped.....

6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Interesting. My dress didn't sell, btw.

7. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Maybe two people fell in love with it and fought over it? ;)

I've seen this happen once with a Tangorouge dress. They typically sell for $125 or so, but a couple of people fought over one dress she listed and it sold for about $300.

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you mean, directly from the company that makes it... you recognize the designer?

man, do you get around, chica...

9. mamboqueen

no...I have no idea who the designer; this was advertised on ballroomdancers.com, which I check fairly frequently for used dresses (and occasionally, I'll torture myself and look for a partner, too).

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

<making mental note to inquire at my studio whether there are amateur latin dancers looking for female partners for competition...>

11. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

why go girls spend so much money on dresses (that are arguably pretty)? :rolleyes:

12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you're not looking for the "you wouldn't understand" response.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

:roll::roll::roll:

:D

14. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

:headwall:

:bouncy:

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

How about this? We wouldn't have to spend so much money on dresses if they weren't so expensive?

16. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peaches [​IMG]
    I'm guessing you're not looking for the "you wouldn't understand" response.

Peaches... :notworth: :lol:

quixotedlm... would you like some aspirin? ;)

17. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

myself, i prefer nekkid women :tongue:

18. Me

Me New Member

Well with the obvious lack of costume checks at recent competitions, your may get your wish. :p

19. noobster

noobster Member

Necessity perhaps?

Disclaimer: I don't do ballroom or any kind of dance competition, and I choke at the mere thought of dishing out a grand for a small piece of fabric with some shiny decorations.

But. I would imagine that if you are competing against other women who are all wearing $5000 dresses, and you are being judged in part on your costuming, it probably makes the most sense to suck it up and buy the dress.

Rather than, say, perform in a $25 dress from a street vendor (which is what I wear to dance salsa because cheap dresses have better ventilation, and because I don't feel like getting sweat all over any clothing I actually like).

20. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I love fringe dresses, and that color looks great on me! And since I do know how to patch things up, it would be easy for me to fix the dress. But it's a bit to plain for me though. I like fringe, but I would want something else to go with it. I could probably do that myself, but I don't know. If it doesn't shout my name then I'm not buying it.