Salsa > Why Roach Killers?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Salcero, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Salcero

Salcero Member

First you had the Drac look where dudes would wear their collars up like Dracula. The best salseros now seem to wear those long pointy roch killer shoes that are 2 sizes 2 big and narrow to the point of looking painful. It this cool?

2. naturallove

naturallove New Member

Wasn't it Juan Matos that made this style popular?

3. Legato Bluesummers

Legato Bluesummers New Member

Yes, it was Juan Matos who those popular. He also started the mohawk scene ( I am so glad that has died down).

I think we should start our own look. Suspenders anyone?

4. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I don't particularly care what anyone wears, as long as it compliments them.

My opinion, not that it matters in any sense...

The collar up and the long shoes make these guys look not very pleasing. Some of these guys wanna look so kwel that they walk so straight up that they actually bend backwards. It's the oddest thing, the ego enters the room two hours before they get there, then there is a struggle at the door to get the head to fit through, when they finally make it in, it seems as if they were waiting for the groupies to rush over and bow to them.

One of my friends says, darn, can't they figure out that there is only 20 salseros in the entire world, no matter how big they want to feel, the world doesn't know or care about them, not even Ricky Martin or Marc Anthony act like these guys.

I tend to include the dudes that wear hats when dancing for the sake of looking cool into this group.

5. englezul

englezul New Member

Those type of shoes are quite comfortable, they fit perfectly, they don't feel larger to the foot.

Is this cool?

It's not the shoes who makes you look cool, it's you.

You can be cool without wearing the pointys. I mean is it really your style?

I like them, with a nice pair of Rock & Republic jeans, a nice fitted shirt and a cool necklace they could go great (but the shoes themselves have to be nice, there's a lot of pointy ugly shoes). But there's countless ways you can construct a fly outfit without pointy shoes.

Personally I don't wear them, but I would if I found a really nice pair that would fit me well. Also I am in a different fashion zone right now, I'm sporting a different kind of look.

So if you can make it fly go for it. But if you're not there yet, just stick to the practice shoes for now. 'Cause the thing is if you want to dress like someone who belongs to a certain category you have to be in that category first. For example in a salsa club, you'll see that only few people have the really fashionable shoes and those are among the top dancers there. That's because shoes are the TM of a great dancer. Sure some are more casual, but still dressed neat. If you modify your image to look like you're in a category of people but you're not, then you look like a tool.

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

suspenders & breasts don't exactly fly well together <lol>
    guess this is styling just for men, ay.

7. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I've read that the roach killer shoes (once popular with juvenile delinquent rock 'n' rollers in the 1950s) are good for killing roaches when they run into corners.

8. saludas

saludas New Member

A little history lesson seems in order here.

the style you are mocking has its roots in the 40s and 50s in the USA. "Pointy' shoes in the Latino world was not exclusive to them - along with the DA haircut, 'cigarette' pants and turned up collars. You can see this in movies such as 'The Wanderers' and 'West Side Story' and 'The Richie Valens Story'. It was the Vegas/hip style for most of the world through the sixties. The people wearing this style today are not only paying homage to their ancestors but are on the tip of trendy - the baggy clothes / Charlie Brown baggy shirt and shorts with a baseball cap / look is sort of 'over, except in the 'burbs...

9. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

oooh, do I get one too for the origin of the ego? the clothing was very informative.

10. Beto

Beto Active Member

Now wait a minute here, I remember seeing some groups (might've been Mambo Romero in SF? I *think* so) doing the suspenders and breasts look. Granted, they were doing what *might* be the pinstripe pant/suit thing with hats (not gangster-looking, which is passe, but something very chic looking). I wish I had a better photo but here's a link to their page below and you sorta see what I'm talking about :D

http://www.mamboromero.com/gallery.htm

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i tried to find a picture of women wearing suspenders, but no luck. we look ridiculous in them. lol

but if you're talkin have the men wear the suspenders & the ladies sporting hefty decolletage... that would certainly work nicely! :)

12. Beto

Beto Active Member

My bad, I should've just posted the direct link (there's something funky going on with Mambo Romero's site). Here's the "suspenders" look:

http://www.mamboromero.com/images-gallery/462_sm.jpg

;)

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

no, you got it right... i saw the pix on your link. :)