General Dance Discussion > Why so few Ladies at Group Lessons?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by rbazsz, May 1, 2011.

1. kckc

kckc Active Member

Most studios around here truly do cater to the social dancer. There is a large social dancing community here who have no intention of competing- they just want to dance adequately in a social setting. Even the few advertised silver or advanced classes that exist don't have that many advanced dancers, esp. males. Except for WCS. Those people are serious!

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

no kidding! :)

3. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Yesterday I took an intermediate WCS lesson at one of the major studios in the Phoenix metro area. The ratio of men to women was almost even. In another room they were giving beginner lessons.

Things changed rapidly after the lessons. More men kept coming and just a trickle of women. The beginner men and novices left soon -- probably because they were intimidated. Even with so many men leaving there were far fewer women.

So, the entire evening men outnumbered women. The advanced leads swarmed over the women at the end of every dance. The situation made it very difficult for a novice like me to dance.

I don't blame the ladies for giving the advanced guys the dance especially since there were so many of them. Unfortunately guys like me got crowded out.

4. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I get your point...but FWIW, in a setting like you described I dance with the guy who asks me first, because that is the polite thing to do (unless I'm sitting the dance out completely.) So, unless their advanced skills are in getting to the women faster, you are just as capable of crowding THEM out. :)

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

this was my thought exactly

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Me, too. Right now in fact if they're not a pro or one of the few guys I can remember, it's so long between parties, I don't remember who's "advanced" or not and even in a situation where I could, I still went by 'first one to ask gets the dance' unless I was completely sitting that song out or had promised it to someone specific.

7. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Another ditto for me on this. I dance with whoever asks when I'm standing not dancing...

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

rbazsz, IME the best way to approach getting dances on a regular basis, when you're either a new dancer or new to a community, is to focus on building relationships. takes a bit of time... but not that much, really. be gracious & generous on & off the floor, ask & remember women's names, invest in relationships by coming back to them for at least a 2nd dance at any given event...and in no time at all you'll have a good circle of partners to dance with.

it doesn't have to do with being an advanced dancer. yes, some people are snobs in that way, but who cares about them... focus on those who have a more generous mindset. :)

9. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

I don't see that happening in my class, though I'd like that to happen. For almost every group class in my studio, there'll only be like a scant 1 man to 4 women ratio. So yeah, the men gets tired very easily as they have to dance 4 rounds of the same thing everytime the instructor does something new or makes the class practise.