Tango Argentino > Why some women are not asked to dance

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Ampster, May 1, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ah. I think the difference is that I'm thinking of being slightly more open on my right side, but with the rest of things reversed...in which case I can't see it being comfortable.

But if thigns are absolutely straight on...perhaps. If you try it, please report back!

Edit to add: Regarding the looking over the guy's shoulder or looking towards our hands...for me it depends on, mostly, the guy's height. If he's short, I look over his shoulder because I don't like having my face squished into his...besides being uncomfortable, it does bad things to my connection. If he's taller, I'll face to the right. I just need to be able to get at least my nose underneath his chin. :) I think I do this regardless of the shape of the embrace. (Although, truth be told, that's very dependent on the guy's height, as well.)

2. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I wasn't very clear... when I say looking "towards the arm", I didn't mean to actually turn the head dramatically to the left. I simply meant that she is looking over his right shoulder rather than facing the same direction he is. Therefore if they couple maintains that position and spins around so that she is traveling down line of dance forward, she can easily see the room, just as he usually would do if he was traveling forward looking over HER right shoulder.

I guess since I dance this way more often than I dance facing my right, I don't have any tendency to face the "open" part of the embrace (because there IS no open part in close embrace) I would think that ballroom is mostly the same. The woman looks over the man's right shoulder or even turns her head to her left rather dramtically (as in Viennese Waltz) I've never heard anyone call this "constricting" or express a tendency to do the opposite (once they learn the correct position). How many ballroom followers ever look to their own right?

In fact, when the embrace and style calls for the follower to look into the room to her right, I have to remind myself to do so. For me, the tendency is always to NOT do that. And since it requires actually turning my head, I find it more constricting because there is very little range of motion I can achieve that direction unless we are VERY open. (whereas, if I'm looking over his right shoulder I can vary it a little depending on whether I'm wearing my glasses)

I'm not sure which position you are meaning when you use the term "look towards the leader". To me, that is a 3rd position that we haven't discussed yet.. ie: follower looking directly at the leader's chest rather than to her right or left (which I don't think is EVER done in ballroom, but a BR dancer can correct me) You do have to be open for that.

(around here, some leaders dance open all the time, because they find themselves trapped in the center of the room and have to look all around them wildly to navigate. I always wish some teacher would make them learn close embrace so that they will have to learn proper floorcraft and how to navigate without looking this way and that willy-nilly... ie: one of the many "basics" that you can cheat if you are open, but have to do right if you dance "milonguero, as we were discussing in another thread)

3. Zoopsia59

I guess I'm at the perfect height (in my shoes) to feel that I can always look over a guy's shoulder if I choose. The one or 2 guys around here who are SO tall that it would be awkward, don't dance close anyway (maybe for that reason?).

In fact, the "milonguero style" dancers around here are rare (and are mostly shorter). Almost everyone either dances open, or varies the embrace, with most of it being open. But I dance most of my dances with the ones who dance primarily close.

My partner is 6' even, and I can easily dance looking over his shoulder, although its easier in my highest heels.

4. Peaches

Lucky girl. My teacher is 5'11", and in my highest heels my forehead rests against his chin if I turn my head to the right. If I don't, I could rest my nose on his collarbone.

Button down shirts with starched collars are the bane of my AT existence. (Although I've gotten the knack of continueing to dance while making adjustments to the guys's collar with my left hand down pat!)

5. Zoopsia59

Bwa ha ha... I danced one night with one of my favorite leaders and I was having trouble with the right strap of my dress. We had quite a fun time and running joke of him having to constantly incorportate letting go of my hand and quickly putting my strap back up as a part of his lead for certain moves.

6. Zoopsia59

I'm 5'-5" and I wear shoes that are usually 2.5-3.5" heels.

7. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

You would love me. I am well known for wearing nothing but band collars...always, whether dancing or not. :rolleyes:

8. Zoopsia59

We already love you, so this is just another reason...

9. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Aw...geez... [​IMG] Thanks.

10. Peaches

I thought I loved you before, but it's nothing to how I feel about you after hearing this! ;-)

This ought to go in a list of "Things to Tell Beginning Leaders." Leave your collar stays at home, dangit!

Edit to add: I just thought of someone to add to the "Crushes" thread. *hustling over to the other forum* :)

11. Zoopsia59

Ther's a crushes thread? (Does Hugh Laurie count, or are we limited to dancers?)

12. Peaches

Where in blazes have you been, girl? There's one hell of a crushes thread going on--something like 18 pages in 24 hours. And anyone counts.

13. Zoopsia59

Well, I've been kinda busy on this the threads here....

(I take it this crushes thread is in the main dance forum menu?)

14. Peaches

Blah blah, excuses excuses. ;-)

Dancers anonymous forum.

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Quibble: ever gone from driving in a LHD country to driving in a RHD country? :D

16. Peaches

No.

And we see how well changing from the Imperial system to the Metric system has worked in the States. Probably more comparable than one person picking up and moving from one norm to another.

Quibble.

17. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

It wan't AT. It was CW. But it works the same way for me.

A Tale of Two Women
    Tall, blond, nicely proportioned female danced West Coast Swing with one of the regulars. She looked good. She had great posture. She kept her feet under herself. And she always kept with the music.
    As the evening wore on I don't think she ever turned down a dance.
    But she did not look like she wanted to be there.
    She was there. Dancing.

Woman with black hair. Nice, somewhat fuller figure.
    She danced with guys who NEVER are in time with the music, and guys who sometimes are in time with the music.
    She ALWAYS managed to stay in time.
    She smiled at me a couple of times as she danced by.

Guess which of the two I asked to dance?

18. Zoopsia59

The redhead that you know better than to talk about on a public forum?

(never cross a redhead!)

19. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

The redhead and her friend didn't seem to know the dances very well. But, I did have a conversion with them. Later, the redhead walked by and said, rather enigmatically, "I saw you out there." (I'm always surprised (which is stupid) when I hear that people were watching me while I dance, although I know it intellectually.)
    You think I should have given her a go? (I didn't see either her or her friend dance with anyone.)

20. Zoopsia59

A redhead noticed you and you didn't follow up? tsk tsk.