Tango Argentino > Why some women are not asked to dance

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Ampster, May 1, 2007.

1. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

I've been told the same by two different argentine female teachers. Both time it was about boleos. They said the lead has to give no choice. They were very clear about that. No inviting, no proposition, no need that the follower is competent enough to move on her own (following your torso). Nothing of that. Just, you use all your strength/energy/weight to give (and then stop) the momentum. I had strong arguments with them about that, and told them I would lead them the way they liked but only as an exercize and that it would never become a part of my tango.

2. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Pretty ballsy for a student while "learning" in their classes, Newb.

3. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

That does seem a little unusual - and frankly I'm sick of hearing "argentine teachers said this therefore it's gospel".

My feeling with boleos is that, yes, the lead provides the energy for the move, but the woman always has a choice as to whether to accept / amplify / reduce / damp that energy. I can't imagine how you could "force" a boleo even if you wanted to; it's an embellishment isn't it?

However, I do agree with the general "don't be hesitant - be a man!" thing; sometimes us leaders are too invitational, too "gentlemanly", and it confuses the signals. For example, the more confident you are in stepping forwards, the more the follower will pick up on this, and the more likely she'll follow well without knee-knocking.

4. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Good for you. As I tell my students "good technique is down to me, the good dance is down to you". :)

5. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Both times it was private classes. In a group class it would be counter-productive.

6. Dupont

Dupont Member

I am sure this doesn't apply to you, but here's what I encounter sometimes.

Some women dress so badly that it is a pain to look at them. One woman I know has long gray hair, relatively dark skin, usually is in loosely fitting gray pants, wears black jewelry, black dance snickers and black socks. Tops vary. I simply cannot look at her and don't invite her. Other men rarely invite her, meanwhile she is not bad at certain dances. I think she needs a friend or a sister to give her costuming and grooming advice.

So being invited is not only about the sexy or short dress.