Why Spinning Figure Skaters Don't Get Dizzy

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Ray Sison, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

2. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Spotting. :p

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

That may be part of it, but the article says that they also just get used to the dizziness...

4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Not spotting. I can spin all day without spotting and never get dizzy.

Your brains response to the fluid rotating in your inner ear is a "DANGER SIGNAL" and your bodies immediate response is for you to PAY ATTENTION and SIT DOWN. This is so ingrained in us that we don't even question whether or not our bodies are in danger. We just freak out and give in... often conjuring up a lot of drama to go with it.

If you simply accept the spinning fluid and the warning signals that your body sends to you as a FALSE ALARM then you will begin to desensitize yourself to it. If every time you hear a Tornado Siren (can you tell I grew up in the mid-west) you run and hide then you will ALWAYS need to run and hide. But when I hear a tornado siren now I am not in a panic. Likewise when I spin and my body tells me I should sit down I say "No Thanks"... and amazingly the sirens simply go away... after time.

It is simply a matter of training your brain not to freak out and stay busy doing something else rather than giving in to the drama.

5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Fabulous way to look at it Larinda! :)

6. MultiFaceted Dancer

MultiFaceted Dancer Active Member

Interesting explanation. I can spin all day too without spotting and not get dizzy. I personally never knew why. It's not even neccessary to go in the opposite direction to become balanced because I am balanced anyway although I can spin that way too. I never thought much about why until people asked me how I did it and why spotting wasn't neccessary. Your explanation could very well be the reason. I just don't remember it ever being an issue -People just nicknamed me Spinner in Ballroom not Iceskating.OOPS.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

during a video spot in the olympics, skating champion/announcer scott hamilton pointed out that one male skater was unusual because he did something skaters do *not* do... spot. he showed some video clips and it was a bit strange to see.

8. CANI

CANI Active Member

Ditto - Thanks, Larinda, very helpful!

9. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

I've just spun round in my chair at work and my tea is going to make a reappearance soon :(

I tend to not get dizzy if I focus on an object and turn to face it quickly again - that's the way we do it in class although I guess some folk don't need that :)